Positives and negatives from this weeks game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot has been said about the negative aspects of friday afternoons game but i thought there were a few positives to be taken out of the game. I've been pretty critical of Keating at times but i thought his kicking game was pretty good last night and showed massive improvements to last years repeated attempts at cross field bombs to the forwards. Early on he put some nice rolling kicks into the in goal that had Inglis running 30 or 40 metres to recover the ball and he was noticeably absent in attack during the first 40. When the side put in good efforts at chasing the ball we were keeping the rabbits in their own half for long periods.

Another positive was the short passing game our forwards were playing. We'd often draw 2-3 defenders and have another forward back up for a short pass and make an extra 5-6 metres. If we'd kept this up i think their forwards would have run out of gas early in the game. Unfortunately the refs allowed them easy metres through penalties and at some point the weight of defense we were doing stopped us from sticking with this strategy.

The third big positive i took out of the game was the form Josh Morris is showing. Every time he got the ball in his hands he looked pretty dangerous. He'd go to the line and hit 2-3 defenders spin back and step round to make another few metres before being tackled. There were a few occasions where i wished he'd have headed back in field with the defenders on him and passed to Goodwin but overall i thought he deserved about a 9/10 mark for his effort. He was one of our best at putting pressure on defensively for the in goal kicks too. I only took 1 half mark off because he doesn't help to screen Goodwin for the bombs and for not looking to put Goodwin in space more often (I don't want him to become the ball hog that he was at some stages over the last couple of seasons).

I thought Ennis controlled the forwards pretty well this week and had the right players getting the ball at the right times. I think he's getting his confidence back slowly after a neck injury that i'd think would make many players play tentatively. He's still got a couple of areas where he can improve but i think he's on his way back to being at his competitive best.

I also should give a big kudos to Barbas tackle on Inglis when he made that big second half break. It showed some wisdom for him to have tried wrapping him up with the higher tackle rather than going low in that situation. I think most of the better defensive fullbacks are able to do these style of tackles and i'm confident that Barba's on his way to becoming a well rounded fullback rather than just a pure attacking machine.

Those were the main positives i took from the match and while i won't rehash the poor refereeing that many of us witnessed, i still think that we had the game within reach if we'd played with more composure. A few things cost us dearly in the match with the main two being the two bombed tries down the right hand side of the field. I was pretty dirty about the dropped ball when it happened and was shaking my head about the pass that went behind a flying Wright and Turner. I think that had either of these resulted in points we'd have stayed composed and gone on to win the match.

The main issue with our composure i think stems from having a young halves pairing. At times this can be beneficial but at others i think that we need Ennis to just tell them to calm down and keep the pressure on the opposition with smart plays rather than trying to score off every touch of the ball. I'm confident that the side will become more composed as the season goes on though.

I think the mark of a great football side is being able to shake off the errors and stick to the game plan. Sides like Melbourne are great at this and last year Manly were too. Others like the Tigers and Dragons can be put off their games completely by having a horrible 15 minute stint. I think that to become a great side we've just got to get into the habit of putting those fifteen minute poor stints behind us.

Malla

Reaction score
Nice post, and I agree.

Our defence as a whole was great. They scored 2 fluke tries off kicks, and one that just came from the 3rd or 4th set we were defending our line (refs penalising us in the ruck for **** all).

I like the point you make about our composure coming down to lack of experience. Hodko is so important to us and this game should exemplify why. We struggled in attack when we were chasing points and really panicked. It's natural though with a young team. I think we'll build from this experience. Souths won't beat us again.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring on June or July 1 can't remember what date exactly when we play them again... Been coping it a fair bit from souths supporters... Hopefully we kick there ass the next time we play them fingers crossed we got our s**t together by then :grinning:

gf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A lot being said about halves and backs. Other than some praise on big Kas not a whole lot has been said re the forwards. Can we get a rating/comment on each of the forwards game from yesterday?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most of the bugs have been ironed out of our game, maintaining the intensity is not an easy thing, the Storm are able to concentrate every week and so can we.
Little things like Keatings trip penalty is a drop in discipline, we need to not give away one stupid penalty, every metre counts, we are improving.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Negative point - 1st loss out of 3 losses in a row (Storm then Manly)

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Anyone else notice apart from the titans games, we won the games we were the underdogs for and lost the games we were favourite for

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Anyone else notice apart from the titans games, we won the games we were the underdogs for and lost the games we were favourite for
Yep, Des will have us fired for the Storm game!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Reckon Storm in Melbourne is the hardest possible match for any team. Not confident at all. Expecting to lose a tipping comp point next week coz i cant back against the dogs. Pretty sure we can beat Manly though. Manly are not scarey this year. Souths are freakish they can beat a good team one week then turn around and lose to the spooners the next. Not going to get much from that game form-wise

Þo£ar ßêar ™

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Negatives:

Ennis still has this thing where he can give away silly penalties - Goodwin, is like a box of chocolates.... well you know the rest - Barba, allowing a high ball to bounce to often - Keating, ermm hmmm oh dear -

Positives:

Des Hasler, strong personality and tells the players & NRL how it is - Josh Morris, strong - Ben Barba, in offence is where he shines the most (X-Factor) however like most the players in the game, he didn't do much this week - Turner, thought he had a fantastic game, to bad the rest of the guys didn't follow his lead...

Simply the dogs are a decent team, as Alan79 basically said, they really need to get rid of these constant errors and silly penalties they give away week in week out, and I'm sure the team will be even better.

i heard from a good source: There will be 5 first grade dog players at the end of the year off contract and news is their contracts wont be renewed. I have NO idea what players they are tho.)

P

Paint.

Ennis giving away silly penalties?

He gave away two penalties on Friday, and they were both BS calls. One of them was the 'high' tackle on Adam Reynolds, which hit him on the shoulder/chest, and other was for when he didn't get his arm around Graham in the scrum, which was the stupidest penalty you'll ever see in your lifetime.

Barba letting the bombs bounce?
When did that happen against Souffs?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
things that worry me......

1. Wright seems to have feet for hands, i gave him the benifit of the doubt at the start of the year, but the balls he's dropped were by no means hard and it they have been ones that have bombed certain tries which makes it hurt even more

2. Goodwin he started off well in rounds one and two but i think he has become comfortable and complacent and slipped back in to his old bad habits a spell in reggies might be a good thing

3. Reynolds.....Dont get me wrong i think he can be our long term no.6 and i love his terrier attitude, but since Hodkinson left the field injured he has developed super glue hands and refuses to pass the ball.....instead he spins and jumps and twists and kills off any overlap we may have had....this doesn't help having him partnered with Keating who is also a ball running half, our backs are being starved of quality early ball.

People though Hodkinson was being very quiet on the field, i put this mainly down to the fact that instead of running the ball he was feeding it out the backline and not getting noticed

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Melbourne will win, but I am expecting us to give them a good contest. I just hope for our sake that Goodwin goes, and we are alert of them kicking to our winners all night....if we do the same and allow them to jumper higher like the Souths did against us, they will have a field day:(

From the knights game and after we have been average....patterns from our 2011 season.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
I think Melbourne will win, but I am expecting us to give them a good contest. I just hope for our sake that Goodwin goes, and we are alert of them kicking to our winners all night....if we do the same and allow them to jumper higher like the Souths did against us, they will have a field day:(

From the knights game and after we have been average....patterns from our 2011 season.
the boys need to turn up with the right attitude...my heart says dogs for the win but my head says melbourne.....i just wanna see the boys be competitive for this one

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
manly we may be able to get but the way melbourne played today if they dont put 50 on us i'll be happy tbh
TBH after watching the Souths game, and listening to Des savage the Refs for the 7 - 2 penalty count I thought our discipline was very poor, it has been a few days gone by now and with the website being down I did count at least 3 penalties for lack of discipline one by KK, one by our Captain and one by the Beast, can't remember but I think Mr Romelo could have been the other culprit??
Take these away from 7 you get 4 so in saying that I guess we got a 4 - 2 penalty against us which is not too bad as far as I am concerned, if we do the same against the Storm we will get our As*'s spanked on what I saw Melbourne produce in the heat of Townsville last night.

I also believe we seemed lost with our attack in the second half where we seemed to be going no where especially after our captain was taken of, it seemed to me that the game plan and patience went out the back door.
Anyone agree??

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
we are playing worse now then earlier in the season, they cannot put in an 80 minute performance, against a lot of teams in the comp we would still win because they cannot put 80mins together either, but the storm do and have done for years, we might give them a shake next week but as soon as we clock off for 5-10 min in each half they will pants us. Manly on the other hand are playing terrible footy and if we are a chance of going anywhere this year should get over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.