POLL : Available Coaches and Coaching Records - Choose your poison.

Which coach would you like

• Shane Flanagan

Votes: 118 53.6%
  • Josh Morris

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Cameron Ciraldo

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Paul Green

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • ASSASSIN

Votes: 37 16.8%
  • Other.....

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • Grunthos

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if Mick Potter stepped in as caretaker

Bacon_Muffin

Waterboy
Reaction score
There isn't a lot of talent available but what about Brian Smith.

He never won a grand final but has a great record of going to clubs and getting rid of dead wood and building them up to be a force again.
Let him get us back to the top again until while we take our time finding that coach who can take a top 4 side to a premiership.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does any of that matter though?
The fact is he did the wrong thing - whether that was on purpose or through poor management (trusting Dank). Don’t forget he was also suspended a second time for breaking the terms of his original suspension, which his own boss dobbed him in for. Then there’s questions around the cap of that title winning team. The bloke is supremely arrogant. I say let him stay with the Steelers and PNG RL and we keep looking.
You and I don't often disagree DD, but on this one it seems we do.

Danks sucked in a lot people, in a lot of different sports, many far more experienced than SFlanagan was back then and he has learned a lot in the subsequent 11 years. I am sure you are aware, but others may not, some peptides are OK, approved for use by the ASDA and WADA. Peptides are also a common ingredient in many cosmetics. When a sports scientist says "my peptides are legal" and are used by teams such as Manly, Souths, Tigers, Penrith and St George as well as Essendon in the AFL. Yes, SFlanagan amongst many others was found guilty and he has served his time.

On the "coaching while suspended", there was conflicting legal advice that said coaching did not include talking to players about coaching them when his ban was over. The legal advise was based on the differentiation between "recruitment managers" (unpaid) and "coaches". The bottom line is that some clubs complained about him talking to their players and the NRL didn't like that he was recruiting players for the subsequent season, when he actually was allowed to coach. We can sit on whatever side of that legal argument we want, but in the end we know the result. It's not as black and white as some journalists would have us believe.

That's my 20 cents, FWIW.

Always a Bulldog

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I originally thought Green but Morris done a great job with the Sharks in the time he was there.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You and I don't often disagree DD, but on this one it seems we do.

Danks sucked in a lot people, in a lot of different sports, many far more experienced than SFlanagan was back then and he has learned a lot in the subsequent 11 years. I am sure you are aware, but others may not, some peptides are OK, approved for use by the ASDA and WADA. Peptides are also a common ingredient in many cosmetics. When a sports scientist says "my peptides are legal" and are used by teams such as Manly, Souths, Tigers, Penrith and St George as well as Essendon in the AFL. Yes, SFlanagan amongst many others was found guilty and he has served his time.

On the "coaching while suspended", there was conflicting legal advice that said coaching did not include talking to players about coaching them when his ban was over. The legal advise was based on the differentiation between "recruitment managers" (unpaid) and "coaches". The bottom line is that some clubs complained about him talking to their players and the NRL didn't like that he was recruiting players for the subsequent season, when he actually was allowed to coach. We can sit on whatever side of that legal argument we want, but in the end we know the result. It's not as black and white as some journalists would have us believe.

That's my 20 cents, FWIW.

Always a Bulldog
All good Turbo.
My view is the buck still stops with the coach unless it goes higher to the executive office.
Despite all these items I find the bloke supremely arrogant and don’t think he’s a good fit.
And believe me I want us to win!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Shane Flanagan

Daylight

2. Ciraldo
3. Assassin

Anyone else and we're still F'd

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love to see Michael Ennius involved. He is passionate and need people who aren’t afraid to hold people accountable

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
FLANNO has to be the one, he’s the most proven of the top bunch. Besides we have his son to lure him here. It’s really a no brainer and it works, makes the most Sense !! Get it done GUS, use the bait and land him.!!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I want winners at the club. Guys that would break rules to get to the top if they have to.

His son may be a dope, but Daddy Flanagan can coach and will do whatever it takes to win.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morris is no different to T-baz FFS!!!!
hes just gonna be mates with the players we need a tougher coach!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d love to see Michael Ennius involved. He is passionate and need people who aren’t afraid to hold people accountable
I wouldn't mind him as an assistant, especially if Shane Flanagan is appointed. Go get James Graham involved with the forwards too.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There should be no rush to hire his replacement. Interview and hire the best fit, talk of Paul Green and John Morris is ridiculous imo.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i think it can't be a rookie. We've just had two of those. Not saying they can't be successful though.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There should be no rush to hire his replacement. Interview and hire the best fit, talk of Paul Green and John Morris is ridiculous imo.
Is anyone going to want the bloody job? Its going to take balls of steel and some serious determination to turn this ship around.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There isn't a lot of talent available but what about Brian Smith.

He never won a grand final but has a great record of going to clubs and getting rid of dead wood and building them up to be a force again.
Let him get us back to the top again until while we take our time finding that coach who can take a top 4 side to a premiership.
He also hasn't coached since super league 6 years ago, if you don't include one offs like coahcing Thailand in 2017... i think he was a good coach in his time, but surely the game has well and truly passed him.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's still pretty attractive imo.
1/5. JAC
6. Burton
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
11. Kikau
Get what you're saying, but I feel there must be some serious structural issues at the club too though. There's going to be more to it than just guiding 17 guys on the paddock.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanagan as much as I would prefer someone else. He is the only experienced premiership winning coach available

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hence why I want an interim coach and take our time for 2023.