News PNG in ‘box seat’ to land 18th NRL licence by 2025 after Bears cop $11m hammer blow

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I think starting in 25 is fanciful. They will mis the Nov 1 deadline so all the uncontracted players will be signed already.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think starting in 25 is fanciful. They will mis the Nov 1 deadline so all the uncontracted players will be signed already.
Andrew Hill, our former CEO is the head of the PNG bid and he said a decision would be made by 2025 for whichever team is chosen for them to join in the 2027 season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Its fanciful really, the nrlol struggle to mismanage what they have. All they will succeed in doing, is diluting the quality of the game with players that aren't of nrl standard
Adding PNG and South Island NZ will actually increase the talent available as currently they don't get the opportunities to graduate through pathways.

The NRL doesn't "manage" pathways, they leave that to the individual clubs, plus the NSW and Qld RL in the case of State based competitions.

Always a Bulldog

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking stupid idea. How will it work? Base themselves in Cairns or PNG? Good luck enticing quality players to the club to live there. Memberships? Most supporters will live in PNG, essentially a third world country. Play games in PNG? Good luck charging normal ticket prices there. Base themselves in Cairns, who goes to the games? So many other better suited franchises. Perth Bears or Jets would be better suited. Vlandys is such a dumb ****. Living off keeping the game alive during Covid. That’s the only good he’s done. Everything else he’s fucked.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking stupid idea. How will it work? Base themselves in Cairns or PNG? Good luck enticing quality players to the club to live there. Memberships? Most supporters will live in PNG, essentially a third world country. Play games in PNG? Good luck charging normal ticket prices there. Base themselves in Cairns, who goes to the games? So many other better suited franchises. Perth Bears or Jets would be better suited. Vlandys is such a dumb ****. Living off keeping the game alive during Covid. That’s the only good he’s done. Everything else he’s fucked.
Apparently the Hunters' Centre of Excellence is to be built in Cairns, much the same as the Cowboys in Toonsville.

Perth would be worse, not a lot of rugby league pathways there. The Bears would provide much of their pathways, it's a long way from North Sydney to Perth. Cairns to Port Moresby is a lot closer.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Adding PNG and South Island NZ will actually increase the talent available as currently they don't get the opportunities to graduate through pathways.

The NRL doesn't "manage" pathways, they leave that to the individual clubs, plus the NSW and Qld RL in the case of State based competitions.

Always a Bulldog
I don't see how it influences the talent pool at all. We are already drawing from that pool.
In terms of the nrlol's ability to manage anything , juat look at the way they manage pathways, country league, the judiciary, MRC . . .They can't deal with what they have, let alone expand

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see how it influences the talent pool at all. We are already drawing from that pool.
There is no doubt that the pool gets bigger when there is a local team that the kids can support before they even think of playing league.

Always a Bulldog

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The government giving 25mill to assist that is fucked up. I’m sure junior programs / country rugby league could do with a slice of that 25mil.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Papua New Guinea NRL bid chief Andrew Hill believes the club could become the most well supported in the competition, and laughed off claims they will struggle to fund the operation.

The NRL, which moved to 17 teams with the inclusion of the Dolphins based in Redcliffe for 2023, are currently weighing up the best and fastest way to expand the competition to 18 teams, which will see the removal of the a bye each week, and the inclusion of an extra game per round.

News broke yesterday that a Papua New Guinea-based bid is the favourite to be named Team 18 in the competition, although questions about the suitability ahead of a Perth-based bid or second New Zealand team remain.

Bid chief Andrew Hill told SENQ Mornings however that there was no doubt around the level of support the team would receive in the only nation where rugby league is the national sport.

“We will be the most well-supported NRL team in the competition,” Hill told SENQ Mornings.

“The PNG Hunters are by far the most well-supported team in the Queensland Cup, it is ridiculous how well-supported (they are).”

He also moved to address concerns over the financing of the team.

While the Australian government have committed as much as $5 million to help the team get off the ground in a political move to lock up support from the region, he said corporate support for the team would come in waves.

“A big focus of ours is around coaching, development, it's about putting the framework in, that's a slow burn,” Hill added.

“Some of those other things, corporate support, I giggle, people tell me we won't have money… some of the biggest companies in the world are based in PNG.

“Newmont (mining company) have just taken over an Australian company, it's the world's largest gold mine, they're based in PNG, they're a proud organisation doing business in PNG, they'll be very excited to be partnering with the NRL.

“As will many, many other supporters.”

He also moved to address concerns over the financing of the team.

While the Australian government have committed as much as $5 million to help the team get off the ground in a political move to lock up support from the region, he said corporate support for the team would come in waves.

“A big focus of ours is around coaching, development, it's about putting the framework in, that's a slow burn,” Hill added.

“Some of those other things, corporate support, I giggle, people tell me we won't have money… some of the biggest companies in the world are based in PNG.

“Newmont (mining company) have just taken over an Australian company, it's the world's largest gold mine, they're based in PNG, they're a proud organisation doing business in PNG, they'll be very excited to be partnering with the NRL.

“As will many, many other supporters.”

I agree with hill, sponsorship will be no problem. The endless list of mining companies will be falling over themselves to get on board.

Once they establish their pathways, PNG will be supplying enough players to fill 2 or 3 teams.

It has a culture of Rugby League, just like India with Cricket and Brazil with football.

Guys like Justin Olam and of the Hunters players played no junior football. They're just playing on raw talent without the proper coaching.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perth Bears would work, using the Bears for pathways as they already have teams competing in NSW Cup, Harold Matthews , SG Ball, plus Harvey Norman and Tarsha Gail Women's championships.

Always a Bulldog
Always preferred the Bears going to the Central Coast.
It is only going to grow in population and it would form a local rivalry with Newcastle.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think so.
Sometimes we have locked eyes and I’ve wondered if something is there but we are both straight.
Sometimes I wonder about your persuasion.
I can't help but wonder if you are as straight as the first letter in 'straight'?

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
25 with a reduction in the salary cap to force shedding of players from top teams.
South Island Sheep
PNG Hunters
Perth Reds

CC Bears
??? Jets

22 teams, no byes.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please explain to me how a rugby league team in anyway impacts any chinese foreign policy?
Very simple.

China is looking to expand into the Pacific region with its belt and road policy. PNG lacks any decent arterial roads to its major cities, has no railways, and China is willing to help. It could then get a foothold into the mining areas of the highlands, and It would also establish port facilities for its navy.

China will offer PNG a great deal to get a foothold directly opposite the main US allied country in the region. Very easy to monitor Australia from Port Moresby. It also knows that some PNG politicians are on the take, and China has no qualms playing that game.

Australia can win over PNG with a simple NRL package that doesn't cost the taxpayer an arm or a leg.