Playing structures moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are all aware that to setup your NRL season all comes to offseason training.

Once the NRL kicks off from Round 1 you are aware from the first game of the season the structures set in place after an offseason of training. It obviously takes a couple of months into the NRL season to get match fit along with timing your structures which have been set in place during the offseason. But, as mentioned from Round 1 you can see the structures and type of footy put in place.

It was quiet clear from Round 1 2017 we were in for a long year as nothing hand changed from the second half of 2016 season.

Round 1 2016 - first game of the year against Manly at Brookvale. We absolutely ripped Manly a a new asshole. Both halves were linking up on both sides of the field, Lichaa looked quick and sharp and the props were running straight and hard. It looked like a breath of fresh air

Thats where the new structures started & finished, after just one game. Was that game some sort of fluke? Did they change the structures in the offseason which showcased that first game, but if so how did they revert back to the old, slow & outdated shit we have been witnessing since 2015?

After watching the first game of the 2016 season, it was quiet obvious the players can change and play hard and quick footy, but its obvious Hasler cannot change, and for whatever reason, only Des the **** knows.

What are peoples thoughts?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
upload_2017-8-8_13-59-15.jpeg

Our structure looks a lot like this.

In all seriousness I agree with the part about a one game wonder. We did do it likewise last year against Manly Round 1. Played some rather attractive and entertaining footy and then it was as if we went back into our shell. It was as if Hasler said to them that is not the way I want you to play footy, I want safety first, defend the lead, complete the sets with no thought as to the brand of footy played.

I yearn for the days where we put teams to the sword, tried something different, had halves who could make something out of nothing; now we have trouble even scoring points let alone make other teams work hard for them, we do the same dumb things over and over again and our halves make nothing out of something.

I honestly think Des does not care what anyone thinks and he does not want to listen to anything that goes against his plan.

baz

Waterboy
Reaction score

Once the NRL kicks off from Round 1 you are aware from the first game of the season the structures set in place after an offseason of training. It obviously takes a couple of months into the NRL season to get match fit along with timing your structures which have been set in place during the offseason. But, as mentioned from Round 1 you can see the structures and type of footy put in place.

It was quiet clear from Round 1 2017 we were in for a long year as nothing hand changed from the second half of 2016 season.

Round 1 2016 - first game of the year against Manly at Brookvale. We absolutely ripped Manly a a new asshole. Both halves were linking up on both sides of the field, Lichaa looked quick and sharp and the props were running straight and hard. It looked like a breath of fresh air

Thats where the new structures started & finished, after just one game. Was that game some sort of fluke? Did they change the structures in the offseason which showcased that first game, but if so how did they revert back to the old, slow & outdated shit we have been witnessing since 2015?

After watching the first game of the 2016 season, it was quiet obvious the players can change and play hard and quick footy, but its obvious Hasler cannot change, and for whatever reason, only Des the **** knows.

I commented once before about this game after the game they interviewed Moses Mbye and he said sèeing it was the first game of the season we dumb down our play that's the secret.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don't move forward.

We prefer going sideways!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was pretty excited about our first three games. Lichaa looked like he'd changed his three step and pass style. Just quick passing to a forward or half when it was on. But that didn't last and he reverted to his usual stuff. He was left in the team for too long afterwards. Back to three steps and a pass to the closest player to him.

Our halves also started with some form. They were linking up and drawing defense as a result. But again that didn't last. By about round six they were playing very simply. Catch from one side, pass it on the other side. Very predictable stuff.

The refs and bad luck began to cost us wins and confidence fell in the team once the fans started laying in with criticism. My hope for next season is that we start well. If our hooker doesn't just pass to the nearest player who has defense in their face the defense will be forced to spread themselves out. I hope that our halves work hard at their kicking games and our backs learn to read what they're going to do. It's been our Achilles heel for three or four years. And finally I hope that support play improves. Like others have mentioned, we have forwards who can ball play, but that's a redundant skill if the defense are in your face and nobody is in position to support for an offload.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Strategy moving forward. Speed in the play the ball - get on the front foot, early kicks for touch and early ball to the edges. Use offloads to turn the momentum of an average set of six. And finally, wrestle the crap out of other teams in the ruck.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Playing structures moving forward"?

We dont have structure. We dont move forward

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score

Under pressure this team goes into default mode. We lack a leader . We lack a general. We dont need a super coach on 1.5mill we need a general in cooper cronk.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is no moving forward with the so-called playing structures we have in place. We look like an under sevens team when the coach didn't turn up :rage:

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no moving forward last 12 points on the score board that's for sure. If Souths score 12 points this week I'm turning off again just like every other week.

Status
Not open for further replies.