Phil Gould knocked back by Ben Hunt as Bulldogs search for a seven

EuroNymous

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The scene was a Brighton cafe and Phil Gould was on the charm offensive. It was August last year and Ben Hunt was there as well, the St George Illawarra captain coming to the end of a disappointing season while simultaneously in the midst of painstaking contract talks with the Dragons.
Hunt’s management and the Dragons were haggling over the size of a potential deal and as negotiations dragged on, Gould could smell an opportunity. So he reached out to Hunt’s agent Steve Gillis and asked him to organise a catch-up.

Phil Gould’s hunt for a halfback continues. Picture: NRL Photos

Phil Gould’s hunt for a halfback continues. Picture: NRL Photos
What followed was a meeting for close to an hour between the Bulldogs boss and the Dragons skipper. They didn’t discuss money or terms.

Gould’s pitch was simple and to the point. If Hunt was looking for a change of scene, the Bulldogs were interested. No pressure. Just have a think and let us know where your head is at.

And with that, the meeting was over.

“Obviously there was a lot of mutual respect there,” Gillis said.

“They got along well - they just talked footy. That was about it. He (Hunt) was smart enough to understand what he (Gould) was saying - we would love to have you.

“But there was no wining and dining, selling the dream. They were on the same page - two mature people happy to have a conversation about where things were at.

Ben Hunt (R) knocked back Phil Gould’s approach. Picture: Getty Images

Ben Hunt (R) knocked back Phil Gould’s approach. Picture: Getty Images
“Gus said if you want to talk again, let me know. We would love to have a chat.”

Gould can be a compelling figure. If you want evidence, you only have to look at current Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo, who attempted to quit on two occasions when he was an assistant at Penrith and Gould was the head of football.

Ciraldo, at the time working as an assistant to current St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin, approached Gould to hand in his resignation because he didn’t feel like he fitted in with the way the players were being coached.

Gould convinced him to stay the course, Griffin was eventually shown the door and Ciraldo remained on a coaching path that would eventually lead him to Canterbury.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo. Picture: NRL Photos

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo. Picture: NRL Photos
Gould was at the heart of that move as well, convincing Ciraldo that Belmore was the place for him. Yet, as convincing as Gould can be, he has been unable to land Ciraldo the halfback he and the club so desperately crave.

The Bulldogs started the season with Kyle Flanagan in the No. 7 jersey but he has failed to convince and has now been dropped. Flanagan’s days appear numbered - he is off contract at the end of the season and there has been talk of a deal in England, although he is only 24 and seemingly nowhere near ready to give up on an NRL career.

Matt Burton has been handed the halfback duties but it is understood that some within the club believe he may be best served in the centres, if not at five-eighth.

Kyle Flanagan’s days at the Dogs appear to be bumbered. Picture: Getty Images

Kyle Flanagan’s days at the Dogs appear to be bumbered. Picture: Getty Images
There have been whispers in recent weeks that Gould was weighing up an approach to Parramatta over Jacob Arthur with a view to landing the young half for the remainder of the season.

As round 10 approaches, the Bulldogs may consider handing a chance to young playmaker Khaled Rajeb, a Lebanese international who impressed at the World Cup.

In short, the Bulldogs have no out and out halfback, leaving Ciraldo to experiment with alternatives at the scrumbase. Hunt, as it turns out, would have solved all their issues.

The only problem was that he was committed to the Dragons and as much as he and Gould hit it off, it would have taken a dramatic U-turn - or the sacking of Griffin - for him to walk out on St George Illawarra.

Could Jakob Arthur fill a gap for the Dogs? Picture: Toby Zerna

Could Jakob Arthur fill a gap for the Dogs? Picture: Toby Zerna
So the Bulldogs search for a No. 7 goes on. On that front, they are not alone. It’s no coincidence that the bottom three teams in the competition have all struggled at halfback this year.

Luke Brooks wears the No. 7 at the Tigers but Brandon Wakeham is their halfback. Neither can seemingly get the job done and the Tigers are desperately scouring the globe for a half who can help them climb off the foot of the ladder.

Their search has failed to uncover a viable option, a reminder that the game is desperately short of quality playmakers. In Townsville, Chad Townsend has been an abject disappointment in his second year at the Cowboys.

Chad Townsend has been out of touch at the Cowboys. Picture: Getty Images

Chad Townsend has been out of touch at the Cowboys. Picture: Getty Images
Then there are the Bulldogs. Their woes have been well documented. They have no-one to get them around the park.

Which leads us back to the Dragons and Hunt. While Hunt hasn’t been as good this year as last, most would argue he is part of the solution rather than the problem at St George Illawarra.

He could have been the answer for the Bulldogs as well. Only Gould missed his man and the Bulldogs are paying the price.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Only realistic options that I think are worth the risk:

Sam Walker
Braydon Trindall
Toby Sexton

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Only realistic options that I think are worth the risk:

Sam Walker
Braydon Trindall
Toby Sexton
Walker > Trindall > Sexton. I personally would only want Walker. If club took a risk with Trindall I'm 50/50 with it. I think most likely outcome is we persist with Oloapu.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Walker > Trindall > Sexton. I personally would only want Walker. If club took a risk with Trindall I'm 50/50 with it. I think most likely outcome is we persist with Oloapu.
Trindall would be very cheap so it wouldn't even really be a risk.

EuroNymous

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
sounds like the club went through all the options and thought they were better off with oloapu

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Trindall will be 25 next season & is on a small contract. We could probably get him for about 300k a season.
I think closer to 400k and if he doesn't work out we have a Flanagan 2.0 situation since you can't pay someone that type of money to play reserve grade. Coming to the dogs is a risk and we won't be the only club that needs a half, e.g. Tiger and Raider.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say very cheap. Best back-up half in the NRL and sort of proven. Look what we paid for Flanagan.
Literally. Every other half has moments where they look dangerous. I am being honest the only thing I’ve seen from him this year is Kyle putting that grubber against the sharks

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think closer to 400k and if he doesn't work out we have a Flanagan 2.0 situation since you can't pay someone that type of money to play reserve grade. Coming to the dogs is a risk and we won't be the only club that needs a half, e.g. Tiger and Raider.
You're just making up a number with no basis. No way Trindall would be on 400k a season. Hynes signed with the Sharks for 500k a season from the Storm & he was way better.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smart thing to do is Griffin is likely to get sacked Hunt will likely want to leave. Dogs must go after him and have Oloapu learn off him.

Burton and hunt in the halves Oloapu off the bench. Mahoney to play 60 minutes Oloapu to come off the bench and hunt slot into hooker role. Seems the most logical way to mould Oloapu into a decent half-back.