News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People forgot before Des we were already losing our way, we were yoyoing between bottom 8 and top 8.

After Folkes left it was never stable as in sustained success.

chuckynemo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This excuse has expired. If anything, des made 2 grand finals lol

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Obviously most people never watched his press conference, not once did he mention Des Dibb or Castle

Media spinning shit again
Yeah, this was going to be my comment. Everyone knows Hasler/Castle Fucked us. If anything I think he was referring to some of the quick fixes tried since then.
Flanagan, Hetherington, Naden, fucking Dufty FFS. We have been flapping around since Hasler and probably haven’t done the hard yards.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lynne was the one blaming Des, signed 25 of the top 30 then complained Des screwed them.
True.

Unfortunately, the precedent has been set.

You can underperform, take the money and blame Des when it goes belly up.

Gus is no different.

Only thing is, we are paying him 1mill/year

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any of the mob playing this week have bulldog blood well pump the Rabbitohs ,Averillo will play straighter and trouble south’s ,kennel in overdrive again on why we are letting him go.
Let’s goo doggies

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you really think they do it on purpose playing the way they did? Maybe we have to many young blokes who are burnt out and covering for players that are injured, i remember a lot of coaches saying that its a very long season for many young blokes and that's why they rest them a lot, we don't really have that luxury at the moment but hopefully soon.
I never said they do anything on purpose, I'm saying the way they are playing is terrible and they need to be called out for it, they don't need excuses made for them, they need to be told that regardless of the circumstances they have a job to do.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Des papered a lot of cracks behind the scenes, we weren't a consistent finals team until he took over.

They had no succession plan for Des. Look at Storm and how methodical they are being in scouting the successor to Bellamy. It shows they aren't just making quick fire decisions and there is a process in place.

Souths already knew who their successor to Bennett was. We have not been a well run club for a long time when compared with others.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Under des the junior system was neglected. We all know des was in charge of the football department. When he arrived we had a dozen players coming through.. They didn't invest time into the juniors and when he left we had no juniors and a salary cap that was screwed with an unbalanced and aging roster. Then the Anderson's come in and try to recruit with a limited cap and a bad rebuild strategy. So we aren't in this mess because of des but des was the start and the Andersons lack of everything added to that. The junior system should have started 7yrs ago. If it did we would have 8 to 12 young guys in grade pushing for NRL stardom. Over paying other clubs bench players or reserve graders by Pay & Barrett was a mistake. There's been many yrs of mistakes from coaches, boards and scouts and we sit here today looking at perham and think Im 100% sure he was a mistake. I will own that LoL.

Last edited:

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think CC is still a rookie coach. Reckon he's gotta find his feet.

Think all RL folk thought he'd be an instant Wonderboy gorgetti g he's a rookie coming from a different system.

And I guess the idea of His watching over can be like unsettling....I think.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol it’s been said before but the simple answer to your question is that Bennett got to start from scratch with an unmolested salary cap and and free rein to build the team he wanted, our salary cap had bastardised for a decade you don’t fix that overnight.
The salary cap isn't an excuse anymore. The reality is that we just haven't nailed our key signings.

Instead of signing a halfback we sign a centre and some kids. Instead of signing a fullback we again sign another centre and some reserve grader hoping to strike gold. Instead of signing some props we sign a luxury edge forward.

We just haven't focused our resources in the right areas and it's as simple as that.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The salary cap isn't an excuse anymore. The reality is that we just haven't nailed our key signings.

Instead of signing a halfback we sign a centre and some kids. Instead of signing a fullback we again sign another centre and some reserve grader hoping to strike gold. Instead of signing some props we sign a luxury edge forward.

We just haven't focused our resources in the right areas and it's as simple as that.
Not arguing those points Marly, just pointing out why Bennett has been successful in a short period of time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not arguing those points Marly, just pointing out why Bennett has been successful in a short period of time.
Does any other coach do a better job than Wayne at the Dolphins this year? Are the Dolphins in a better position if they signed Gus as the GM instead?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Easier to keep blaming Des, who is 6 years gone mind you, than to be accountable.
And just this year our juniors are improving thanks to Gus being here 2 years.

Did he say it's all his fault and said I can't fix it? Or did he explain the situation and went straight to work on our juniors.

FMD some people let hate blind them.... he isn't a God and isn't right 100% of the time. CC appears to be his biggest fuck up but hopefully comes good.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Did everyone watch his conference. He didn't blame anyone, article is taken out of context completely. Staff writer just making assumptions... we sucked 6 years ago, so is Gus not allowed to say this process needed to be done earlier. Pretty basic stuff without sensationalism.
Staff writers. Just means buzz wouldn’t put his name to it.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Does any other coach do a better job than Wayne at the Dolphins this year? Are the Dolphins in a better position if they signed Gus as the GM instead?
I am not arguing with you mate, your hatey on Gus is irrational.