Penalty goal or going for the try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brett suggested on NRL Tactics tonight that he has been in an argument with Kevin Moore all week about taking an early penalty kick at goal, or going for the try.

He supports the latter idea however Kevvy believes that we should go to Haz for the 2 points

Dragons and Titans proved on the weekend that taking an early penalty goal can be costly and does not pay off!

Thoughts?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
if we got succesive sets and then get a penalty i'd go for the try

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Depends on the circumstances. If we've had them on the back foot for set after set then you keep the pressure on but if it's early in the game with no advantage either way you should take an easy two in a semi final.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Try.

You need to score 20+ to beat the eels.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
it depends on the situation and the feel of the game

but i generally prefer the confidence of going for the try

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Depends on the circumstances. If we've had them on the back foot for set after set then you keep the pressure on but if it's early in the game with no advantage either way you should take an easy two in a semi final.
indeed

TOPDAWGZ79

Dont hate *****
Reaction score
do a johnathan thurston and point at the post like youre gonna take the penalty kick but quickly tap it when no one is looking and steal a try, im sure he did that against newcastle this year.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Depends on the how the game is going

I'd go for the try though

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we work our way up to their line and they concede a deliberate penalty, take the tap and get a forward on the boil like the old days to stick it to them.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
go for the try... the dragqueen (twice) and the titties have both proven taking the 2 points early in the game whilst putting pressure on the opposition in the 10 or 20 lost them the game.

we must pile the pressure on them when we have to beat those d!cks

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
sometimes kicking the 2 points early can be a good thing

sometimes it works as a second chance if a kick is missed from the sideline after a winger or centre has scored a try

depends really
try for the try

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
One thing is going for the try but making sure we convert those opportunities early.

We tend to have plenty of possession early in some games and yet fail to score and let the opposition off the hook.

DrBulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
like most are saying, if we have kept them under the pump, def go for the try.
however if we are fresh with no advantage as yet then take the 2.
but like i was saying all those teams that optd for the 2 lost, so lets not do that.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Pretty much go for the try, going for the two shows too much respect for the opposition, you only go for the two points if it means getting a lead of 8,14,20 etc.

But hey, with haz, its usually a guarranteed two points.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Well yes but Hazem is pretty much a guaranteed two points so IF the circumstances are right, i.e put team in the lead or more than a converted try ahead then I would go with the 2 points otherwise if 2 or 4 points ahead and the momentum is with the team you would go for the try.

[DoGgIeS FaN]

jesusfreak.
Reaction score
depends how much time is left and on the senario
if its at the beginning of the game, going for the try would be a better option but if at the end of the game an extra 2 points could make a big difference

also if our attack is looking weak or their defence is tough to break going for the 2 points is better

with things like this they just need to read the play

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm all for the try.

But it really depends on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.