Penalties given away in defensive 10m

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2016 saw a spate of defence giving away penalty after penalty when defending their line.

Reasoning is simple: the ref will stop the game, make the attack take the ball back to the 10m and until everybody is ready before allowing play to restart.

Just spitballing here but Perhaps the NRL could borrow something from rugby union and allow refs to give advantage through to the end of the set. If a try isn't scored, attack gets the original penalty.

Alternatively, the person who the penalty away is put into timeout for two minutes or until a try is scored.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Give the benefit of the doubt for the first one and if it persists award a penalty from which the goal would be worth 4 points. Would have to be for persistent penalties within the twenty metre area.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My dream for this off season is the NRL don't get bored and introduce yet another rule (unless they want to bring back the shoulder charge, I'd be fine with that rule change).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Simple .... give away a deliberate penalty in the 10m zone, get sinbinned for 5 minutes.

Would resolve that cheating move really quickly as far too many sides do it.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i like giving advantage until the end of the set

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple .... give away a deliberate penalty in the 10m zone, get sinbinned for 5 minutes.

Would resolve that cheating move really quickly as far too many sides do it.
That is the rule now (professional foul) except 10 minutes and they don't use it, so having a 5 min option might make them less scared to use it.

Field Hockey yellow cards are minimum 5 min, but the umpire can use their discretion and keep the player off for longer if they want (even rest of game). I think this would be good in theory for league instead of a mandatory 10min, but I'm sure the refs would fuck it up and get personal with it.

Dogs of war76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our sin bin should be similar to ice hockey, you can leave it at 10mins, but if the team with the man advantage score then the player in the bin comes back on then, will make teams try and score more tries as well.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The last thing I want is to make more grey areas for the refs to fuck up. Asking the refs to determine between a deliberate penalty and and incidental one, when they can't tell the difference between a knock on and a kickoff, is fraught with problems.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Give them a yellow card ffs

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No more rule changes.

If a team can't crack a defensive line after repeat sets they don't deserve any points. No need to make it lop sided just so we can see more tries. Conceding penalties at key times is a dark art, it's like what time wasting is in football. It's part of the game we don't need more rule changes as the refs can barely keep up with the current ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.