PAY: 'WE'LL BE PLAYING BULLDOGS FOOTY, WE WON'T BE COPYING ANYONE'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Set with the challenge of reigniting Canterbury's culture, new coach Dean Pay has promised fans he will bring back the 'Dogs of War' and instill in his players a tough-minded mentality that vanished last season.

Frustration mounted at Belmore as Des Hasler's coaching tactics became readable and repititious, forcing the board to listen to its members and sack Hasler with two years remaining on his contract as the club fell out of the eight for the first time under his leadership.

The zealous, resilient brand of football the club has built itself on was nowhere to be seen, bashed with the ball in hand by more aggressive defences and outclassed by slicker and classier opposition attack.

Pay has spent time under the wings of Canberra's Ricky Stuart and Storm supercoach Craig Bellamy who is preparing for his fifth grand final, but the rookie NRL coach wants to do things his own way and resurrect the Bulldogs of old.

''The last sort of eight years I've worked with Craig Bellamy down there (Melbourne) and also Ricky Stuart. I've taken a lot away from both coaches, but in saying that I have my own thoughts on the game, my own thoughts on attack and defence,'' Pay said as the club unveiled their new coach.

''We'll play our own style play of footy, we'll play Bulldogs footy next year, we won't be copying anyone that's for sure.

''My style, I want to be a real aggressive team with our defence and especially with our attack. We want to make sure that we execute really well, so we'll be drilling that in the off-season and making sure we can execute what we really want to put out on the field.

''We want a little bit of madness out of them, that's for sure.''

Pay is aware that Canterbury finished as the worst placed attacking team with just 360 points to their name, even under the struggling Knights (428), Titans (448) and Tigers (413) who all outscored the Bulldogs.

He hopes with a bunch of new faces, including himself and their 2018 recruits, the points will start to flow.

''We have four new players coming to the group, and they are fairly dominant players as well,'' Pay said.

''We could look at a few positional changes as well with the guys that are already here, there are a few options there, as we move forward we will definitely have our attack sorted.''

Canterbury chairman Ray Dib informed members in an email that the club will be using a 'Bulldogs blood only' policy to reinvigorate their passion from within.

Pay played in the blue and white for seven seasons between 1989-1995, notching up 108 games and earning his first Blues and Kangaroos jersey during his time before moving to rivals Parramatta.

Asked what a healthy Bulldogs culture looked like, the new coach replied: ''It's creating an environment where players are really happy, not only players but all our staff that are within the building.

''We want them to come to work and enjoy their work, as we want the players to do as well.

''I think it's going to be driven by me. I need to make sure that we're bringing that culture back into the place and it starts from the top.

''We will be driving the culture all the way down to our juniors, making sure that they're going to be successful, that's where we can really improve the club - right from the bottom, all the way up to the top. It's not just about the NRL team.''

Pay has spent time under the wings of Canberra's Ricky Stuart and Storm supercoach Craig Bellamy who is preparing for his fifth grand final, but the rookie NRL coach wants to do things his own way and resurrect the Bulldogs of old. ''The last sort of eight years I've worked with Craig Bellamy down there (Melbourne) and also Ricky Stuart. I've taken a lot away from both coaches, but in saying that I have my own thoughts on the game, my own thoughts on attack and defence,''Pay said as the club unveiled their new coach. ''We'll play our own style play of footy, we'll play Bulldogs footy next year, we won't be copying anyone that's for sure.

''My style, I want to be a real aggressive team with our defence and especially with our attack. We want to make sure that we execute really well, so we'll be drilling that in the off-season and making sure we can execute what we really want to put out on the field. ''We want a little bit of madness out of them, that's for sure.

“Pay is aware that Canterbury finished as the worst placed attacking team with just 360 points to their name, even under the struggling Knights (428), Titans (448) and Tigers (413) who all outscored the Bulldogs. He hopes with a bunch of new faces, including himself and their 2018 recruits, the points will start to flow. ''We have four new players coming to the group, and they are fairly dominant players as well,'' Pay said. ''We could look at a few positional changes as well with the guys that are already here, there are a few options there, as we move forward we will definitely have our attack sorted.

''Canterbury chairman Ray Dib informed members in an email that the club will be using a 'Bulldogs blood only' policy to reinvigorate their passion from within. Pay played in the blue and white for seven seasons between 1989-1995, notching up 108 games and earning his first Blues and Kangaroos jersey during his time before moving to rivals Parramatta. Asked what a healthy Bulldogs culture looked like, the new coach replied: ''It's creating an environment where players are really happy, not only players but all our staff that are within the building. ''We want them to come to work and enjoy their work, as we want the players to do as well. ''I think it's going to be driven by me. I need to make sure that we're bringing that culture back into the place and it starts from the top.

''We will be driving the culture all the way down to our juniors, making sure that they're going to be successful, that's where we can really improve the club - right from the bottom, all the way up to the top. It's not just about the NRL team.''

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
''We'll play our own style play of footy, we'll play Bulldogs footy next year, we won't be copying anyone that's for sure.

''My style, I want to be a real aggressive team with our defence and especially with our attack. We want to make sure that we execute really well, so we'll be drilling that in the off-season and making sure we can execute what we really want to put out on the field.

''We want a little bit of madness out of them, that's for sure.''

Can’t wait, bring on 2018!!!

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dogs of war used to bash teams in defence when they were defending 20m out from their own line. These days defensive lines only do it when the attack are stuck in their own 10m.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm really impressed with all the talk that Dean Pay has been putting out there. I can't believe how quickly my excitement for next season has turned round since Dez got the arse and these new changes with the club have started in motion. I think we are going to have a club worth cheering for once again. Can not wait to see what the up coming season brings....ahh that breath of fresh air.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really impressed with all the talk that Dean Pay has been putting out there. I can't believe how quickly my excitement for next season has turned round since Dez got the arse and these new changes with the club have started in motion. I think we are going to have a club worth cheering for once again. Can not wait to see what the up coming season brings....ahh that breath of fresh air.
As mentioned by kennelers, we’ve never heard des speak like this!

It’s music to fans ears! We finally have someone who is speaking our language!

Every time Pay says something, I can see all the doggies supporters nodding with a smile on their face!

Is it March 2018 yet????

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can only imagine how many facepalms Dean pay would have had watching us last season lol

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
'My style, I want to be a real aggressive team.
This caused much stiffness in my willy

Malla

Reaction score
Just shows the difference a man can make that is in touch with the fans, the culture and the blueprint of the club.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Wont cop anyone. Bringing back the Bullydogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.