Opinion Patolo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our 2nd starting prop has been getting mud minutes since the start of the season. It's some strategy Ciraldo's running with.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our 2nd starting prop has been getting mud minutes since the start of the season. It's some strategy Ciraldo's running with.
Patolo didn’t have a pre season and Hughes has been injured a lot the past couple of years and its his first year in a bigger role. Expect to see Patolo have his minutes increase over the next few weeks just like what we saw with Hughes

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ciraldo did this with Hughes too. Hughes was getting 10-15 minutes max for the first few rounds and then in the last two rounds he's up to playing 40 minutes and looking really good. I wonder if Ciraldo just does this with new/young props, he wants to ease them into their role for a few weeks and then assuming they're doing what's expected at training he ups their minutes? Fine in theory I suppose but it puts a lot of extra effort on the other forwards to cover.
CC is clearly looking after Patolo in his return to FG. Giving him plenty of chance to gain confidence in his body at this level. I don't mind it. Smart coaches are looking at next weeks game AND also planning out their whole season. Individual players have to be managed in context of the entire team, and if Patolo gets through some short stints CC will ask him to do more.

If Curran or Hughes has to go off in the first half of the game you can bet Patolo is asked to do more minutes. CC uses a kind of "insurance" policy approach to his forwards, he wants to keep at least 2 pretty fresh for most of the game in case a key forward goes down.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can’t imagine Ciraldo instructions are “ok mate I’m going to play you the first 15, have 2 runs but make sure they are quality”

I feel like a pass mark for a starting prop in today’s game is 40min, 10 runs, 100m. Anything under that feels like to justify you have to make an impact through big hits or something to swing momentum in a short period.
I know we are short but we desperately need an alpha prop and this example highlights it

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel like a pass mark for a starting prop in today’s game is 40min, 10 runs, 100m.
He was on the first 15 minutes and we didn't have much ball due to our own errors (none from patalo)

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The same was happening with Sam Hughes and now he is getting bigger minutes and contributing much more. I'm hoping the same will happen with Patolo soon. If I was a starting prop and contributing 2 runs I'd be embarrassed

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He was on the first 15 minutes and we didn't have much ball due to our own errors (none from patalo)
Yeah I get that, what I’m saying is the TEAM needs at least 2 of the 4 props making 100m+. It’s a great base to set up your structure knowing your props are getting over the advantage line consistently. And the stats I posted prior are what our props should be aiming for. Giving them 15mins as a starter seems odd for mine, probably get better match fitness from bigger minutes in nsw cup, if your giving a player 15mins it’s usually go out there and go as hard as you can and make the biggest impact in the time that’s given to you, 2 hitups ain’t it though

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As others have said CC played Hughes for limited minutes to start the year. I can't read CCs mind but at this point just as Hughes has slowly increased his minutes I assume Patolo will have to do the same.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Hughes wasn't binned if patolo would have got a second stint.
Re run metres for middles kiraz, xerrie more than makes up for it.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hughes will soon start with King, I like how CC has eased him into it, think it keeps them keen and looking to impress in the time they have on the field. Patola will get increased minute as the season wears on.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I seen Willie Mason say this guys a future of our forwards, is it just me not seeing it? Had 3 runs last week and came off injured, 2 runs tonight, injured again possibly? Never been overly impressed by him, hes never fit and hasnt been from day 1.
Not fit, not fast, not resilient.
Doesn't do anything wrong ... just doesn't do enough for long enough...

Field Time
Time
TacklesMissed TacklesIneffective
Tackles
Total RunsMeters GainedPost Contact metersTackle
Busts
Off
loads
TrysTry AssistLine BreaksLine Break
Assists
Patolo26161065516100000
Roosters12700430810
Storm14910225800

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Guys playing busted but thats how desperate we are atm i cant believe im saying this but ryan sutton would have been handy atm, We have 2 props in the 17 that cant manage to have more then 5 hit ups a game 1 is patalo the other is poosa (i see why he hasnt made it at his previous clubs just dosent have a motor for nrl). Patalo is still young so wont write this guy off just yet.
what I’m definitely seeing is every forward last year was getting completely rag dolled. Fast forward today, our forwards no matter who’s stepped in have definitely elevated into finally putting in the effort and energy. Running hard, defending and not missing tackles.

something in pre season really sparked them wether that be the honest talk or hard work. CC has created a team at the moment where no matter who comes in, just play your role in the system. I did not see that last year or years before. It’s finally starting to work with how our team is playing.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think he's a fit for the team.. Ciraldo wants to create a squad that has a Penrith like mentality where everybody is hungry on both sides of the ball... see what happens I guess.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Still young and all but has not impressed at all in FG a good indication is there wouldn’t be many clubs after him if he was off contract.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He got injured in the Roosters game and I was surprised to see him play in the Storm game let alone start. If we didn't have those injuries I doubt he plays. I still have a feeling that he will come good.
Sbw had lots of injuries as a young player when he was first establishing himself. I believe the club still see him as a future first grade regular. Time will tell.