Parramatta Eels hatching plan to secure Corey Norman and Jarryd Hayne for 2017 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
THE Parramatta Eels are working with the NRL’s salary cap auditors towards 2017 and could get into a position to re-sign off-contract star Corey Norman and favourite son Jarryd Hayne.

Norman joked about Hayne wanting to come back to Parramatta.

But the prospect of the pair combining in blue and gold next year could become reality despite their current salary cap crisis.

Corey Norman celebrates a Jarryd Hayne try. Picture: Mark Evans
With the removal of the recently retired Anthony Watmough’s reported $750,000 contract off their books, the $200,000 increase in the salary cap to $7.1 million and savings made by the departures of Nathan Peats and Junior Paulo, the Eels will be back in black next season and ready to sign the two superstars.

Former NRL auditor Ian Schubert is continuing to work with the governing body on behalf of the Eels to determine how much money from third-party agreements will be counted towards the club’s cap next season.

Hayne has fulfilled his dream of playing in the NFL and is now embarking on a new journey of representing the Fiji rugby sevens side in the Rio Olympic Games.

But the prospect of winning an NRL premiership with the Eels could be the crowning glory of his amazing cross-code career.

Despite being linked to the Sydney Roosters, the former San Francisco 49er has previously said he would only return to the NRL with Parramatta.

With the Eels’ financial mess likely to affect the club’s salary cap next season, there are fears among Parramatta fans they couldn’t afford to reunite with Hayne and re-sign Norman.

Hayne will have no shortage of suitors if he decides to return to the NRL in 2017, and the Eels have the advantage of being his former club with a close-knit team that features plenty of his close friends, including Tim Mannah.

Having Norman, Hayne and Kieran Foran would terrorise most sides.

In the meantime, Norman revealed he had hoped to have a clearer idea about his future as early as this week.

The Eels tabled a deal for Norman last week, which was understood to be short of the $800,000-a-season the playmaker’s management is holding out for.

Penrith were one club who quickly dropped off when informed of Norman’s price.

“I think my manager is trying to sort something out this week, and with all that (salary cap) drama over now, or some of it, we’ll try and move forward,’’ Norman said.

PCorey Norman jokes around at training. Pic Brett Costello
“I didn’t go on the market because I want to stay at Parramatta. I love the club, the coaching staff and the boys, so I gave Parramatta every opportunity so I could stay here.’’

Norman has developed into one of the game’s premium playmakers, and stepped up in the absence of halves partner Foran, who remains interstate being treated for his mental health.

Foran wasn’t named to take on Melbourne at Pirtek Stadium on Monday night, but is still an outside chance to return.

When Peats was forced to leave last week for the sake of the Eels becoming salary cap compliant, he told a TV network Norman would have been the next player in line to be tapped on the shoulder if Peats could not find a club.

Norman, however, said he was unaware of such plans.

“I don’t know about that, and I don’t know if Peatsy knew about that,’’ Norman said.

The Eels suffered a heartbreaking final-minute loss against South Sydney on Friday — their first game since the heavy penalties were handed down for the salary cap breaches — and must now win 12 of their remaining 14 games to play finals football, starting with the Storm.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/12ff49e6f115b3d334e0922ab151b1fd

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Good to see Parra learnt their lesson...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Whats worse? Hayne going to the cheats or the rorters?

I honestly can't choose.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
lets not forget Semi will be up for a massive increase as he is reportedly only on $250,000 and Norman is asking $800,000 for next season

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I say screw the salary cap and let's cheat!!! If you can't beat them, cheat them!!! :grinning: With this Eels farce the NRL have set the standards going forward. Fuck you Greenturd. Cars, Boats and home and land packages for everyone before June 30 :tongueclosed:

Last edited:

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon its time to scrap the salary cap.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like paper bullshit to me.... Absolutely no way on this earth they could sign him unless their expected lineup in 2017 is:

1. Hayne
2. Radradra
6. Norman
7. Foran

If it happens fans will turn off the game completely.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Norman wanting massive overs ,hayne will want massive $$ ,foran on massive overs they certainly know how to over pay

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kent and ikin slammed the nrl last night on nrl 360 saying such a light punishment

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There is no way Norman is worth fucking $800,000. If he gets paid that much (and he probably will), it will just further etch in stone just how SHIT Parramatta is administrated.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Parra can keep Norman on 800 k, foran on more than that and then buy Hayne on a gazillion, given their cap problems

we might be able to buy the entire Australian squad with some spare change left over.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget they got some other on coin - Jennings (even if rorters are paying some of his salary)
- Beau Scott was an Aus rep player when he signed

Apparently Mannah is on like $400k as well lol.

If they sign Hayne it's definitely a gee up for sure.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Parra are only kidding themselves. No chance in the world they can add Hayne with the roster. If he comes it will spell to exits to several reasonably paid players.

I'd imagine Roosters is his future home in the NRL and even then they will lose a quality player or 2 solid blokes like Moa & someone to fit him.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whats worse? Hayne going to the cheats or the rorters?

I honestly can't choose.

Roosters are making it easy, according to news reports they have already said they have a "spare" $600k in the kitty

Check out the morning update 18/5/2016 in the video news

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/?cid=BP_HEADER_SPORT

And look, Parra have one of those imminent, on the verge situations too.....

http://www.nrl.com/normans-new-eels-deal-imminent/tabid/10874/newsid/96000/default.aspx

In some long-awaited good news for beleaguered blue and gold fans, in-demand Parramatta playmaker Corey Norman is expecting to put pen to paper on a new deal at the club as soon as this week.

Despite massive recent upheaval at the club – including the likely stripping of 12 competition points as part of the NRL's penalty for repeated salary cap breaches which also led to the departure of key man Nathan Peats – Norman said he didn't even test the open market, so keen was he to remain at Parramatta.

With a bit of clear air in front of the Eels now the departure of Peats has freed up some cap space and the cap situation is clearer, Norman said he hoped to have a deal done this week.

"I think my manager and [the club] will sort something out this week. With all that drama over now, or some of it, we can try to move forward," Norman said.

"I didn't go on the market because I wanted to stay at Parramatta. I love the club, I love the coaching staff, I love the boys. So I gave Parramatta every opportunity so I could stay here.

"I could have gone on the market but I held back because I wanted to give Parramatta the opportunity."

Norman said while he hadn't heard anything from the club about him being the next target to move on if they couldn't move Peats to clear their salary cap problems, he definitely felt bad for his departed mate having to move on.

"I did [feel bad], yeah. You do feel bad even though it's got nothing much to do with me."

Peats had indicated publicly in a round of media interviews following his signing with the Titans that only he and Norman were in a position to fix the club's cap issues by leaving, but that was news to Norman at the time.

"We're still mates and nothing has changed, even when he said that. I caught up with him after the game and we had a few drinks before he left so everything is the same."

Norman has carried an additional burden over recent weeks as the club's chief playmaker with star half Kieran Foran on personal leave and said he didn't yet know if Foran would make a return on Monday to face the Storm but was happy with the job new halves partner Brad Takairangi has been doing in the interim.

"I wouldn't have a clue [if Foran will be back] to be honest. I'm sure if he's right to go then Brad will let us know. We'll be training as if Takas is there this week ready to do a job for us again," he said.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
lol Norman saying he didn't go on the market. He's been asking around for huge money for ages

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol Norman saying he didn't go on the market. He's been asking around for huge money for ages

just like Hayne isnt aware of any 500 k in the bank form parra.

as i am not aware if i went to the strippers on my last week trip to darwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.