Our fanbase has an unrealistic sense of entitlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Realene promised us 2 in the next 3 years its all good ait back and relax and watch the grandfinals roll in

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It's not entitlement. It's common sense telling us that with our proud history, ample resources and excellent financial position, we should be doing a lot better.

If you want to look at it another way, all the clubs who are on similar financial footing to us have achieved success more recently.

Keep trying Mr I. Logic is not on your side. There is nothing wrong with knowing your club is capable of doing better and wanting to see that.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the eighties 'Premiers' and 'Bulldogs' went hand in hand, I thought it was normal.
Yes Dogs supporters expect war every year.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You know (and many people will disagree with me I'm sure) after our last win in 2004, I was so satisfied, that I didn't care too much that we went crap in 2005.
And what does that have to do with 2017? You're speaking jibberish

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So if we don't win the GF every year we're a failure? Going by that logic, every team in the NRL is a failure.
The season is a failure not the team. No one in the NRL should play to just make the top 8 or just make the 4 or even just be the minor premiers. The goal should be to win the comp and if you don't meet your goals then you fail don't you?

N

Natboy

Being happy about scraping into the top 8 is the same as being happy to get a pass in an exam but the Bulldogs are one of the richest and strongest clubs with no excuses!
We demand high distinctions and if you are happy with passes or credits follow a mediocre team!

Reactions: DT

Untamed

Previously wilddog
Reaction score
There are 15 other teams each year vying for a premiership, and yet our fanbase seems to expect that we should have AT LEAST a premiership if not more since our last one.

Not sure where this overwhelming sense of entitlement has come from, but it's time to stop being childish and tossing the toys out of the pram when things don't go as we want as supporters, and instead cope with a dose of reality.

Lets delve back to the last Bulldogs Premiership. It was 2004. Since then the following teams have won a premiership (and some been removed due to cap breaches).

2004 Bulldogs
2005 Wests Tigers
2006 Brisbane Broncos
2007 Melbourne Storm
2008 Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
2009 Melbourne Storm
2010 St George Dragons
2011 Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
2012 Melbourne Storm
2013 Sydney Roosters
2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs
2015 North Qld Cowboys
2016 Cronulla Sharks

So out of the above, how long has it been since sides won a premiership (up to 2016 end)?
Lets have a look as the results are astounding.

21 Years - New Zealand Warriors (0 Premierships / formed in 1995)
9 Years - Gold Coast Titans (0 Premierships / formed in 2007)

22 Years - Canberra Raiders (last 1994)
20 Years - Parramatta Eels (last 1986)
15 Years - Newcastle Knights (last 2001)
13 Years - Penrith Panthers (last 2003)

12 Years - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
11 Years - Wests Tigers
10 Years - Brisbane Broncos
6 Years - St. George Illawarra Dragons
5 Years - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
4 Years - Melbourne Storm
3 Years - Sydney Roosters
2 Years - South Sydney Rabbitohs
1 Years - North Queensland Cowboys
0 Years - Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

So Dogs fans have gone 12 years without a premiership.
Knights, Panthers, Eels and Raiders fans have gone 13-22 years without a premiership.
Warriors and Titans fans are yet to celebrate a premiership.

So of them Raiders / Eels / Panthers fans should be up in arms whinging more than us right?

NOPE... only Bulldogs fans seem to get their whinge on about a lack of premierships, when better sides than us are yet to snag one as recently.

Lets review Panthers / Eels / Raiders further.

View attachment 2490

So since Hasler took the reigns, the other sides that have gone longer than us without a premiership, have actually done WORSE.

So next time you want to complain, have a think about the clubs that SHOULD be doing better than us, AREN'T doing better than us, and yet fans don't complain anywhere near as MUCH as "us".
You must be bored. What a load of dribble. lol

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems like the nrl wants every team to win a premiership judging by the pattern. Don't want clubs to have their feelings hurt for not having won a premiership.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The season is a failure not the team. No one in the NRL should play to just make the top 8 or just make the 4 or even just be the minor premiers. The goal should be to win the comp and if you don't meet your goals then you fail don't you?
No not really. What about if a team is building to that success? From 2011, we saw Souths building up, signing good players in key positions and they eventually won it on 2014. Building a club to be a success can take several seasons and undone with just one.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It seems like the nrl wants every team to win a premiership judging by the pattern. Don't want clubs to have their feelings hurt for not having won a premiership.
It seems like that, but I think the Salary Cap is working. I can't see the Warriors or Gold Coast getting it in the next couple of years. Raiders perhaps...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Soon another thread will pop up. We are better than Newtown, Norths and Wests because we actually have a team that still exists.

I don't expect a premiership every year but last time we were realistically in with a chance was 2012.

I support a proud and successful club and I expect only the best each and every year, just existing isn't enough.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100% with the OP.

Premierships are so hard to win. You need so much to go your way. Everything from injuries, to suspensions, to form, to bounce of the ball.

The problem with us is, we made 2 GFs in this Des era. Lost the 1st one 12-4 (2 tries to 1), a ball bounces over the head of was it Barba or Morris with no one between him and the tryline.

We lost another GF against Souths where we didnt have our hooker and out half back was on 1 leg and the score was 6-6 with 20 to go...IN fact, we could have been in front 8-6 with 20 to go if we took the kick for goal.

That was our window with this current group of players. If we had won 1 or 2 premierships, then no one would be complaining. The fact that we didnt win one makes it harder to digest, but as i said you need alot to go your way to win one.

Teams that go through a period of 5 years making the semis and 2 GFs invariably have to re-build and lets hope we can avoid that before we enter the next phase.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
And what does that have to do with 2017? You're speaking jibberish
what he is trying to say that as long as we win a premiership, he woulfnt care if we went shit the next year... But we will never win with Hasler on board

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Thats the difference between the mindsets of winners and the rest who are just happy to participate. If you are just happy to make semis then that is very weak minded and you have lost already.... Like giving a trophy to the last place kid for participation and he is so proud of themselves... furk that shit...

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious question Mr I

Do you suffer from bipolar disorder?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't say unrealistic. Des with his reputation and the money he is on means there is an expectation to deliver. 2 Grand Finals and consistent finals finishes - he knows how to coach.

I still think he is the right man for the job, THE SPINE hasn't been good enough since 2010. Yes that includes 2012, the spine as a whole was not premiership winning material - only Barba & Ennis were top quality. On paper our 2014 spine was premiership winning material (besides Perrett) but injuries screwed us over our miracle finals run was too much strain.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The rants are not about winning a premiership.

If you recall right up until 2014 des was put on a pedastool because our team was competitive.

We had hope that des knew what he was doing , his grand plan was shrouded in secrecy and we trusted him.

But after his erratic decision to remove the holding beam and replace it with a toothpick it didn't take long for the cracks to show and the team to come crumbling down.

Imo these rants are about a vote of 'no confidence' in Des not about winning a premiership.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Doesn't wash with me.

We are a club built on the tradition of success. We demand success especially since 1980 where we have regularly won. It's not an entitlement as such but a realistic expectation especially fans that have supported this club since they were kids.

This has been our longest drought since the 80s

Since 2004 we should have won in 2006, Mason got cocky the Broncos heard his disrespectful comment which fuelled their comeback. 2012 again should have won but we had no plan b and the ball literally bounced against us

Ask J Moz

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You know (and many people will disagree with me I'm sure) after our last win in 2004, I was so satisfied, that I didn't care too much that we went crap in 2005.
True but I cared in 06

Status
Not open for further replies.