Our backline

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The dogs best ever centre pairing was Chris Mortimer and Andrew Farrer. Neither were known for their express speed.
But they rarely missed a tackle and they made tackles count. Hoppa and Jmoz do not fit that bill.
I would like to see a young robust player who can tackle. With a fair turn of speed, and can break a tackle.
I would like to see Apisele Fine trained up for the position. He has played a lot of centre and is not big enough to be a good forward (95kgs).
I know people will giggle when they read this, but give some constructive comments.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The dogs best ever centre pairing was Chris Mortimer and Andrew Farrer. Neither were known for their express speed.
But they rarely missed a tackle and they made tackles count. Hoppa and Jmoz do not fit that bill.
I would like to see a young robust player who can tackle. With a fair turn of speed, and can break a tackle.
I would like to see Apisele Fine trained up for the position. He has played a lot of centre and is not big enough to be a good forward (95kgs).
I know people will giggle when they read this, but give some constructive comments.
No chance. The decision has already been made and he's playing in the forwards.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe it has. But theres not a lot of 95kgs forwards in todays game. The theory is that bigger is better.
If he received suitable training as a centre I think he might be OK.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Brett Morris and Montoya should swap sides.

Josh Morris is a sound defender and would help Montoya with his defending.

Brett Morris is also a sound defender and considering Foran and Hoppa are turtles, having Brett Morris on that side gives us speed to chase back when the opposition puts in a kick or when they go straight through Foran and Hoppa. Brett wouldnt catch the likes of JAC and Morgan at full flight going through that hole but still has pace to match it with the rest, and you would be sure as anything that no winger would run around him as well

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe it has. But theres not a lot of 95kgs forwards in todays game. The theory is that bigger is better.
If he received suitable training as a centre I think he might be OK.
He's bigger than that these days.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa is the weakest in our back line, he needs to create something in attack, its early days but the Tongan rep should be looking to cement his position.
He was named in the NRL team of the week last week but everyone was just saying how shit he is.
I think the morris boys have showed enough to suggest they still have one year left in them. At least. And to be fair monty has had cery little ball except getting out of our end. He is still very good under the high vall and i expect things will even out as the year goes on and he will play some good games and everyone will jiz over him again like they did last year.
Basically we have lost two games so the kennel in typical fashion is fed up and are giving it to any random player they see fit. We need to give this team half a year and then take a step back and reasess our opinions.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
He was named in the NRL team of the week last week but everyone was just saying how shit he is.
I think the morris boys have showed enough to suggest they still have one year left in them. At least. And to be fair monty has had cery little ball except getting out of our end. He is still very good under the high vall and i expect things will even out as the year goes on and he will play some good games and everyone will jiz over him again like they did last year.
Basically we have lost two games so the kennel in typical fashion is fed up and are giving it to any random player they see fit. We need to give this team half a year and then take a step back and reasess our opinions.
How dare you use common sense and logic in this place. Dame you to hell.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Think a few are a bit harsh here.
Mbye is the standout at the moment yeah.
JMoz scored a 90m try last week (still has speed), excellent defender one of the best in the comp. Played his best game for us for a long time.
BMoz still has enough to match it with the younger fellas.
Hoppa 3rd game at Centre in 5-6 years?? Give it a bit more time. Defending at Centre is one of the toughest in the game.
Montoya, in a form slump, Montoya was one of our shining lights last year, I think he just needs some confidence then i think will excel.
Id take our backline over a number in the comp (as a complete team).
Our forwards need to aim up is our main issue.
I agree with all of that except Montoya. If you look at his work last year it was really only that he was doing better than the others - not that he was actually good. This year he is doing the same stuff but the others are playing better and he looks worse. His biggest asset is his size and he just doesn't use it enough in returning the ball. He needs to hit them with the ball under his arm coming out of the red zone. He is only just ahead of Abbey at the moment and that tells you something.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Doesnt seem to me that Hoppa and Montoya are getting enough ball either, might have a bit to do with it. When they start running the nice sweeping plays out to our Right side we end up coughing the ball up.
Hope our timing starts to click soo and we will see a massive improvement.
I cant really argue with what youve said, either Oatley Dog. Good point. I still think he has more to offer with more time.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What so after only 3 rounds you have given up on your one man crusade to have Mbye play in the centres because he would be rubbish as a FB? Where's the ticker.....

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesnt seem to me that Hoppa and Montoya are getting enough ball either, might have a bit to do with it. When they start running the nice sweeping plays out to our Right side we end up coughing the ball up.
Hope our timing starts to click soo and we will see a massive improvement.
I cant really argue with what youve said, either Oatley Dog. Good point. I still think he has more to offer with more time.
I'm not particularly down on him but when you have speed freaks on the wings these days and the one thing we are missing is pure speed on the wings then we probably need to ask the question if there isn't a super quick outside back coming through who mightn't be worth a shot. That Bergamin kid looks quick in the reggies and given wingers are lucky to have to make 2 tackles a game defence isn't the dominant issue, its kick returns and line breaks. Speed sure as hell helps with that. A little stint in the reggies might be what Montoya needs to get him re-focused. He may prove to be a good centre with time. He is big enough.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What so after only 3 rounds you have given up on your one man crusade to have Mbye play in the centres because he would be rubbish as a FB? Where's the ticker.....
You seem to have journalistic talent. You don't let the truth interfere with a good story.
I have said all along that Mbye was hopeless in the halves. I have been found to be correct. I was criticised openly for that, but now people are in agreement.
I have never said Mbye would be hopeless at FB.
We had a real weakness in the centre's and I believed Mbye would be suited there. At the time Hoppa was playing OK at FB.
I am the first to agree Mbye has gone really well at FB. But I still think we have a weakness in the centre's.
If we ever gained a Superstar FB, Mbye would slot nicely into the centre's

Status
Not open for further replies.