Our 2024 fullback is…

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
The signing of taafe followed by Tracey is a weird one. I feel Taafe might noy be first choice if the were fully backing him why then sign Tracey? Taafe is also the least versatile in the backline as he can only play fb and halves. The others can play anywhere from fb to wing and centre.Therefore it’s prob down to Critta and Tracey with Tracey on the back foot due to injury. Dont get me wrong I think Taafe is a gun just trying to make sense of it all.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Inglis had size strength and agility, I don’t see that in critta.
At least Tracey has played at fullback and has the speed and athleticism to play there.
Plus backing up players is a must for a fullback.
You obviously havnt met crighton , he is a fucken monster and will only get bigger

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It would great to see Chrichton turn into a world class fb, but given our need to strengthen the team accross the park, I feel that he will be kept at centre where we absolutely know that he is world class. I also think the club would be foolish to not keep the spot available for Joash in the very near future, which I think will come sooner rather then later. Taafe and Tracey are good short term options despite their apparent shortcomings, and will most likely battle it out during the preseason. But if Joash has a massive off-season, and puts on a bit of size, which is highly likely for a Polynesian lad of his age, I actually wouldn't be shocked to see him named come round 1. At least we finally have options.
Bang on here mate, and quite possibly, might be the reason we opted for utilities to make way for Joash with the utilities moved to shore up other positions.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think since critta was signed to play fb and is on fb money, he gets first crack. Good to know we have backup there if needed though
yep having a bit of depth is a nice change.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think since critta was signed to play fb and is on fb money, he gets first crack. Good to know we have backup there if needed though
That's interesting.

My view is that, based on reported contracts, Crichton at ~$800k is paid around the same as the other elite centres, Farnworth, Manu, Staggs, Best, Holmes etc.

To me "fullback money" is represented by Mitchell $1m, TTrbojevic $1.1m, Tedesco $1m, Punga $1.4m, Gutherson $950k, etc

Always a Bulldog

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
That's interesting.

My view is that, based on reported contracts, Crichton at ~$800k is paid around the same as the other elite centres, Farnworth, Manu, Staggs, Best, Holmes etc.

To me "fullback money" is represented by Mitchell $1m, TTrbojevic $1.1m, Tedesco $1m, Punga $1.4m, Gutherson $950k, etc

Always a Bulldog
Exactly we have paid a little over, as we need to to get an elite centre. If the team balance has him at centre or fullback so be it .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The signing of taafe followed by Tracey is a weird one. I feel Taafe might noy be first choice if the were fully backing him why then sign Tracey? Taafe is also the least versatile in the backline as he can only play fb and halves. The others can play anywhere from fb to wing and centre.Therefore it’s prob down to Critta and Tracey with Tracey on the back foot due to injury. Dont get me wrong I think Taafe is a gun just trying to make sense of it all.
My guess is that Tracey will be the right centre if/when Xerri locks down the left centre position. Tracey has played more NRL games at centre, almost 4 times as many as he has played at fullback, in fact winger is his second most prolific position.

Always a Bulldog

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not interested in your opinion, do me a favour and block me.
I dont block anyone cos im not a weak coward. If that sounds like u than u should block me

Im happy to exchange ideas and opinions with anyone

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
These guys are meant to be having a pre season together, hopefully it shows on the field.

You'd want to start the season strong, it's a given there's going to be teething problems at the start but hopefully the team clicks.

Perham copped too much stick.

Hopefully it's a fullback doing the fundamentals of a fullbacks roll. Reliable at the back.
Attack can just be as a support player off a half break, doesn't need to be setting up play, that can come later.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great post mate.
Be really interesting to see what the coach does.
However, for me, I want Critta in the centres.
He is one of the best in the game, I think I'd have him playing centre on our left attacking side with ado carr outside him.

I think I would trial taafe and tracey at fullback and see whos all round game is better.
I think I'd possibly go with tracey.
Taafe would be great back up if tracey gets injured.
All depends how their form is going and how the rest of the team is positioned.
I still don't know our halves yet.

We are spoilt for choice that's for sure.
Yeah, though maybe play Critta on the right. It'll encourage us to attack either flank, if he's not getting ball, you'd know something is up in our build up play, halves.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracey for me

He looked really good when he filled in for Kennedy at the Sharks last year and is always an attacking threat. He also goes at everything 100 miles an hour and won't get man handled like I think Taafe will

Crichton is too good of a centre to not play him there and importantly will definitely strengthen our frontline defence defence

I'd like the positions sorted out early on so they can train in those positions as much as possible in the pre season to work on combinations

Taafe is a good backup but I am also a big fan of Wilson, and if injuries hit us I would like to see him get an opportunity later in the season. He has alot of potential to be a really good fullback
I agree with you mate, I liked the look of Tracey at FB for the Sharks he goes hard, my only concern is how much pre season he’s going to get playing with his new team mates because of that injury, and how fit he’ll be, that injury might stall him a bit and put Crichton or Taaffe ahead of him …

I’m a believer in fill a position with the best player available and keep them there, we can cover FB with Taaffe for a while … with Crichton at right centre we have that side set with him, Kiraz & Preston.

If Xerri smashes it and is ready, I’d keep Burton at 5/8, if he’s not I’d consider putting Burton back to centre for a while giving us a left side of Burton, Kikau, JAC, that see’s the left side set ..

I like the looks of Wilson, but like Taaffe I worry about his size, I’d like to see him do a full season at wing see if he can grow a bit more before transitioning full time into FB ..

It’s nice to have options & depth for a change, still hoping we can pull a good prop or 2 before kick off ..