NRL Vegas promo

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of the Vegas game, the SMH has a headline about the bosses of the 4 clubs playing have demanded an urgent meeting with V'Landys over their concerns.

About what i don't; know - something to do with Visa maybe? Article behind paywall. anyone got a copy?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From what I've heard the NRL as usual have completely fucked this up..

- They were supposed to have charter flights booked and fucked it up..

- They were supposed to have the stadium booked for clubs to inspect it but the stadium wasn't booked, the NRL clubs turned up and couldn't get access..

- They were supposed to have hotels and venues booked, but didn't do it early enough. Supposedly at the same time there is a giant Amazon convention with 7000 people so all of the hotels were booked up. So staff and players as well as fans will struggle to find anywhere to stay..

- It will probably all still go ahead but the NRL will have to throw millions more at it to make it work. It will cost them a fortune and none of the clubs know why they're going or want to go..

The whole thing is a shit storm and none of it is surprising...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

- They were supposed to have the stadium booked for clubs to inspect it but the stadium wasn't booked, the NRL clubs turned up and couldn't get access..

- They were supposed to have hotels and venues booked, but didn't do it early enough. Supposedly at the same time there is a giant Amazon convention with 7000 people so all of the hotels were booked up. So staff and players as well as fans will struggle to find anywhere to stay..

- It will probably all still go ahead but the NRL will have to throw millions more at it to make it work. It will cost them a fortune and none of the clubs know why they're going or want to go..

I doubt a conference of 7000 attendees would put a dent in things. One hotel in Vegas could accommodate that :grinning:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

I was speaking to one of the Souffs sponsors/advertisers last week and they have booked their accommodation, they had plenty of hotels to chose from. Not surprising since there are 150,000 hotel rooms in Vegas. The Amazon Sellers conference starts on Monday 4th March, they were advised of that but the hotels they spoke to told them it wasn't big deal. They are booked on the NRL Legends Qantas Charter flight, Sydney to Las Vegas non stop.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was speaking to one of the Souffs sponsors/advertisers last week and they have booked their accommodation, they had plenty of hotels to chose from. Not surprising since there are 150,000 hotel rooms in Vegas. The Amazon Sellers conference starts on Monday 4th March, they were advised of that but the hotels they spoke to told them it wasn't big deal. They are booked on the NRL Legends Qantas Charter flight, Sydney to Las Vegas non stop.

Always a Bulldog
I was told that they had to catch public flights. Some teams were going first class on the way there and the other teams would be first class on the way back. Everyone else would fly economy.. That includes the players and staff. I'm sure they'd get the hotel issues resolved.

The fact that staff from clubs weren't allowed to inspect the stadium when they were meant to was a farce. They couldn't get access at all..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I doubt a conference of 7000 attendees would put a dent in things. One hotel in Vegas could accommodate that :grinning:
I'm sure they'll sort out accommodation but they didn't pre book like they should have. Everything I've heard from one of the clubs that's going is that it was a cluster fuck and it's all been ten times more work than it should have been. And no one from that club wants to go or knows why they're bothering..

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Hookers completely booked out. Apparently there's a cosplay convention.

Brought to you by Lizard News.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hookers completely booked out. Apparently there's a cosplay convention.

Brought to you by Lizard News.
Whats that saying, couldnt organise a root in a brothel...or was it you cant make strawberry jam out of dog shit? To be clear the dog shit in this case is what they keep stirring at NRL HQ. On second thoughts its probably more like sheep shit.

Doggies2015

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I’m heading there for it. There’s definitely plenty of options to stay at a fairly reasonable price

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Well, well...can't put brains in statues. All well and good to have this planned but from all accounts execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Four high profilers possibly in doubt due to VISA problems. Peter V'Landys will need to get some favours called in should the questionable behaviour of those guys be an issue with clearance. Gee how long has this been in the pipeline and how many times have those guys been in trouble for various reasons? All pre existing

4 Apr 2022 — Haas was hit with a two-year good behaviour bond in February, 2021, after pleading guilty to intimidating police and using offensive language.

30 March 2019
Broncos youngster Payne Haas has found himself in trouble with the NRL integrity unit once again.

Just a month after Haas was fined and suspended for not co-operating with with an investigation on a family issue.

Now, Haas has found himself in court for a driving offence.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, well...can't put brains in statues. All well and good to have this planned but from all accounts execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Four high profilers possibly in doubt due to VISA problems. Peter V'Landys will need to get some favours called in should the questionable behaviour of those guys be an issue with clearance. Gee how long has this been in the pipeline and how many times have those guys been in trouble for various reasons? All pre existing

4 Apr 2022 — Haas was hit with a two-year good behaviour bond in February, 2021, after pleading guilty to intimidating police and using offensive language.

30 March 2019
Broncos youngster Payne Haas has found himself in trouble with the NRL integrity unit once again.

Just a month after Haas was fined and suspended for not co-operating with with an investigation on a family issue.

Now, Haas has found himself in court for a driving offence.
From my recollection of USA Work Visas there has to be a Court Conviction Recorded. The April 2022 Haas issue resulted in him getting a 2 year good behaviour bond but no conviction was recorded. Driving offences generally don't count.

The USA strictness on Work Visas is well known, training for and playing a game professionally while in the US prevents the use of a tourist visa. This is common knowledge, it is mind boggling to think that the NRL have overlooked that.

Always a Bulldog

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
From my recollection of USA Work Visas there has to be a Court Conviction Recorded. The April 2022 Haas issue resulted in him getting a 2 year good behaviour bond but no conviction was recorded. Driving offences generally don't count.

The USA strictness on Work Visas is well known, training for and playing a game professionally while in the US prevents the use of a tourist visa. This is common knowledge, it is mind boggling to think that the NRL have overlooked that.

Always a Bulldog
From my memory of getting a visa a few years ago the questioning is have you ever been charged of a crime, that was for a tourist visa though. That may rule Haas etc out, not sure if they make a distinction between a misdemeanour of a felony.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Vegas training costs of $400k the latest sticking point for clubs as urgent meeting called
By Damien McCartney

Payne Haas, Latrell Mitchell, Brandon Smith and Reece Walsh could be among several stars missing from the NRL's inaugural Las Vegas venture if visa concerns aren't addressed.

The four clubs involved will meet ARL Commission chair Peter V'landys on Thursday where they hope visa and financial hurdles will be sorted.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the NRL has been telling the clubs the players would be travelling stateside on an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) – which waives the holder from requiring a visa.

But upon seeking their own advice, the Broncos first raised visa concerns about players being turned away with league bosses on October 18. The clubs have now been informed they in fact have three options in total.
https://auditorey.com/australias-20...publisher_name$|$publisher_id$&obOrigUrl=true
Haas, Mitchell, Smith and Walsh have all been arrested, which is often a reason players are blocked from entering the US.
Training facilities and ultimately who will pay the lion's share of costs are all still yet to be decided less than six weeks out from kickoff on March 2.

In order for players to be acclimatised, clubs will spend about $400,000 each setting up training bases in Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas for more than a week before the matches. A yet-to-be-signed participation agreement states the NRL will cover the costs of players' flights and accommodation, but not any training camps. The four clubs are hoping to get at least part of the camps covered.
Speaking to the Herald on behalf of all clubs, South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly said Thursday was "an important meeting".

"Everyone is absolutely committed to making this event a success," he said. "There are a number of issues we want to resolve with the NRL, including the costs involved with the training camps, travelling schedules, ticket sales and medical coverage of the players.
"We're confident with Peter at the meeting, the issues will get resolved."

Although the matches between the Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs, and Broncos and Roosters will all take place on the afternoon of March 2 local time, the time difference means they will air in Australia on Sunday afternoon, March 3.

Players were never going to be able to travel on an ESTA, the primary reason for their trip is "working" so they need a visa, it's that simple.

Always a Bulldog