NRL Vegas promo

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Even more stupid than Magic Round, just another game where home fans get ripped off. Buy a season ticket and now it’s 2 games that they pay for and don’t get to see. The season ticket price sure as hell haven’t gone down despite a reduced number of games.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's very odd that Aaron Woods of all people is who they want representing Manly and the NRL.. It should have been Turbo or DCE etc. Not a bench player who's near the end of their career.

Doggies2015

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's very odd that Aaron Woods of all people is who they want representing Manly and the NRL.. It should have been Turbo or DCE etc. Not a bench player who's near the end of their career.
Not like there gonna know the difference. He talks very well and understands how to market. Plus the others can continue pre season training. He’s perfect for the role

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it attracts any value to the game at all, Vlandys is a genius. The fact we’re even being spoken about in the entertainment capital of world, is quite remarkable. Just hope the actual games they are played over there, produce some great footy

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I’ll give it to Vlandys he isn’t afraid to change things and try things. It is just all his ideas are trrrible.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Flop, can’t see them being interested and selling more than 40% of the tickets.

wondering what the times they will air here.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ll give it to Vlandys he isn’t afraid to change things and try things. It is just all his ideas are trrrible.
To be fair, he's a puppet of the gambling industry. There's someone way more intelligent than him coming up with the shit ideas to increase their market take. There's not a single rule or change he's implemented that hasn't pissed off the fans, made the game less balanced or fair.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly don't get the hate for it all. If anything I'd have gone all out with a Netflix doco - throw in a bit of drama, show some of the characters and big on-field moments and watch the world soak it up.

F1 has done so good with that and all of a sudden the Yanks are eating it up like it's only been around for the last 5 years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly don't get the hate for it all. If anything I'd have gone all out with a Netflix doco - throw in a bit of drama, show some of the characters and big on-field moments and watch the world soak it up.

F1 has done so good with that and all of a sudden the Yanks are eating it up like it's only been around for the last 5 years.
The prospect of the US trying to implement an actual Rugby League comp frightens me a little bit. They're much more financially able to throw (relatively) mega bucks at our best players. Where 1 million plus is a huge salary for a player here, I think they'd be able to throw 2-3 million at a player and still consider it cheap compared to Baseball, Basketball, NFL and Hockey. They'd probably snap up the best of our coaching staff too. There's just loads more sponsorship dollars available. So if they got some momentum, and even a moderate following, I could see them cleaning out all the quality while getting their own players/comp up to standard. It could mean we wound up seeing a very substandard competition here for quite a while. Would be great for the players. But absolutely shit for the fans.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The prospect of the US trying to implement an actual Rugby League comp frightens me a little bit. They're much more financially able to throw (relatively) mega bucks at our best players. Where 1 million plus is a huge salary for a player here, I think they'd be able to throw 2-3 million at a player and still consider it cheap compared to Baseball, Basketball, NFL and Hockey. They'd probably snap up the best of our coaching staff too. There's just loads more sponsorship dollars available. So if they got some momentum, and even a moderate following, I could see them cleaning out all the quality while getting their own players/comp up to standard. It could mean we wound up seeing a very substandard competition here for quite a while. Would be great for the players. But absolutely shit for the fans.
We've been seeing a substandard competition for the last 15 years to be honest.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
They is not going to know difference.
I think Woods is low impact on manly pre season because he’s not in top 30 but a Supp player and he’s only there from rd 11 onward.
And he speaks well not like these Islander ‘yeah bro big game and dat hehe’ types

what I do think is a problem is the huge marketing of the big hits as opposed to skill.
We don’t have big hits in the game often (anymore)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We've been seeing a substandard competition for the last 15 years to be honest.
I think a big part of that began when NRL allowed NRL clubs to decommission their official feeder clubs. It was purely a cost cutting measure. They televised the NYC instead and assumed that players would be able to skip the toughening up in reserve grade. I think every club dropped their feeder and most housed their reserves with clubs like Mounties and Newtown. It pushed a lot of players out that could be late bloomers.

But I miss things like contested scrums. Many people don't even know what you are talking about if you discussed the loose head and feed. Back when these were things a scrum could be fucking exciting. Winning a scrum against the feed could net you a quick try or at least posession when you were in trouble. Now they're virtually a chance to get a bit of a break, I can't recall the last time I saw a scrum go against the feed.

I also think we rely on too many interchanges now. With less interchanges, you could load up on big guys to dominate early, but it would usually mean that late in the game, little guys could run rings around them. So it really let players in every size range have their advantages.

Grey areas in rules. There's many but I'll just talk about one. The Sheppard play is up to refs discretion now and as a result there's generally a fuckload of grey area where players intentionally run into decoys if they can't tackle someone. And decisions could go either way. I find it hard to tolerate that you just can't guess which way anything will go anymore. Once upon a time this wasn't needed. You just couldn't run behind a team mate when you had the ball. So this grey area has led to a trend of milking and diving.

I know this last one actually has some sense behind it. But I really miss shoulder charges. Makes the game feel less like a gladiator sport than it used to. And suspension for throwing a punch makes the game feel a bit soft.

But between rule changes, the seemingly uninforced salary cap (everyone ever caught cheating the cap has been due to a tip off or somebody saying the wrong thing), referees being shit and noticeably biased. I could go on. But yeah I used to love that any team could beat any other once upon a time in fair contests. So I understand your point completely.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This stunt is to raise gambling revenue, not to expand the game's footprint, PVL is anticipating changes by the government to online gambling