NRL Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Filming of the series has wrapped with a possible air date of around Origin next year.

There are 3-4 boys who could be the winner, but nobody knows yet. Apparently whoever clubs sign out of this process is excluded from the club's salary cap as it's an NRL initiative, but will still be a part of the top 25 NRL squad.

Wonder if the Dogs will pick one up?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers :grinning:

I was wondering what happened with this show.

Surely though:

Winner > Roosters / Souths
2nd / 3rd > Roosters / Broncos / Souths

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
From what I've read there's about 6 guys that Freddy thinks could make it.

Jimmy Hendrix from Fiji.

A Canadian guy, man hulk from PNG and a couple former lower graders.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Winner is excluded from the salary cap? What a joke.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Winner is excluded from the salary cap? What a joke.
Doubt they'd be able to guarantee the prize of being in the top 25 NRL squad if they didn't exclude the cap. Who would sign them otherwise?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares? The world over, these shows are utter cowshit.

You can do these in singing etc because the amount of people capable of singing a pop song (given a decent songwriter and top level production) is pretty high. Not everyone can do it, but a large minority of the population can. Being an elite sportsman is something that you can't fake or achieve purely through hyping someone who hasn't got it.

Examples:

In 2007, Season One of Football Icon ran in the UK. The winner won a contract with Chelsea. How many games did he play for them? Zero. Not only that, but when they released him, how many of the other 91 professional clubs in England signed him? None. He's now playing in a local league for a purely amateur outfit with maybe 10 fans at each game. That's where he was before the show and where he belongs.

In 2008, the winner again signed for Chelsea. He never played a game for them and within a few years of the show, he was in the semi-professional ranks again below the 92 professional clubs in England. This season - seven years after the show, he has finally got a contract with a fully-professionally club... who finished 90th out of the 92 clubs last year. One place lower and they'd not be in the league this year either.

The AFL did this the other year with The Recruit. The guy who won it got a contract with Port Adelaide. He doesn't even appear on there list for this year and looks like he's back in the SANFL after all.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares? The world over, these shows are utter cowshit.

You can do these in singing etc because the amount of people capable of singing a pop song (given a decent songwriter and top level production) is pretty high. Not everyone can do it, but a large minority of the population can. Being an elite sportsman is something that you can't fake or achieve purely through hyping someone who hasn't got it.

Examples:

In 2007, Season One of Football Icon ran in the UK. The winner won a contract with Chelsea. How many games did he play for them? Zero. Not only that, but when they released him, how many of the other 91 professional clubs in England signed him? None. He's now playing in a local league for a purely amateur outfit with maybe 10 fans at each game. That's where he was before the show and where he belongs.

In 2008, the winner again signed for Chelsea. He never played a game for them and within a few years of the show, he was in the semi-professional ranks again below the 92 professional clubs in England. This season - seven years after the show, he has finally got a contract with a fully-professionally club... who finished 90th out of the 92 clubs last year. One place lower and they'd not be in the league this year either.

The AFL did this the other year with The Recruit. The guy who won it got a contract with Port Adelaide. He doesn't even appear on there list for this year and looks like he's back in the SANFL after all.
Well said. Although it'll sure as hell beat watching the footy show. Also think nothing much will come of the winner/finalists but could be fun to watch

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Doubt they'd be able to guarantee the prize of being in the top 25 NRL squad if they didn't exclude the cap. Who would sign them otherwise?
But that is a joke. How can the NRL gift 1 team a player excluded from the cap? No matter how good or bad he may be, it is unfair.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
But that is a joke. How can the NRL gift 1 team a player excluded from the cap? No matter how good or bad he may be, it is unfair.
Yes and No, That meany you have 1 player who, may or may not be an absolute flop, and you find yourself carrying a Tony Williams Sized Liability in your top 25, as such, excluding him, may be ok, it really is a Rocks or Diamonds situation

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What channel will it screen on? I'll probably watch it to fill part of my "sh*t TV quota" for the week.

From what I've read there's about 6 guys that Freddy thinks could make it.

Jimmy Hendrix from Fiji.

A Canadian guy, man hulk from PNG and a couple former lower graders.
Jimmy Hendrix
[video=youtube;lQOzAQvM2os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOzAQvM2os[/video]

Nolan Johnstone (Candian Guy) - Already a Roosters supporter!!
[video=youtube;SC4BW1i6g4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC4BW1i6g4M[/video]

PNG Hulk
[video=youtube;nzVjOsAYD40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzVjOsAYD40[/video]

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
It'll be on channel 9 and is hosted by Erin Molan.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should sign that PNG bloke to replace perrett

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if any of the applicants were tested for Peptides/Steroids before they went on the show?

Would be laughable if the winner turned out to be on roids and got done after winning.

It'll be on channel 9 and is hosted by Erin Molan.
Hmm an excuse to watch Ch9 ...

But I'll have to mute the sound when shes talking.

Maybe the next season of the Apprentice can determine the next NRL CEO.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
PNG hulk looks beast if he wins sign him up I say he can play anywhere from wing centre or second row

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would work if they focused on raw talent from the Pacific Islands who miss out on being sighted because there are no development pathways. Eg: Marcus Bai never played junior footy, he only started playing at 18 and a few years later was signed by Hull when he played in the 95 world cup. Unfortunately most wouldnt have access to the internet.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Canadian guy is a massive flog lol.. Actually, seems like a legit dude, missus is hot. **** him haha.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I won't be watching this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.