News NRL market watch: Bulldogs, Dragons lead chase for Jarome Luai, Addin Fonua-Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The signing spree is over, now it's time to see if Ciraldo is first grade standard.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The signing spree is over, now it's time to see if Ciraldo is first grade standard.
There's one position left as CC said and I doubt Topine will be here so that's potentially 2 positions left for 2024.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He’s 67 - not sure he wants the gig permanently - and will soon enough see the ongoing politics of the group, but good chance to top up the super for a few months.
Agree Dink I can’t see him being the top dog for too long,perhaps just till they find their feet mind you we are talking about merger central.
At 67 time to polish those bowls

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DCE even for a year would be fucking amazing. I know alot of people like to hate him, but in my book hes all class.
I have a slight question mark over his communication. Undoubtedly a great halfback, one of the best of his generation, but all in all his club team has underperformed, and I wander if his undoubted football brain is not translating well to the rest of the team. If he tries to take up coaching post-playing I guess that will be put to the test.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DCE even for a year would be fucking amazing. I know alot of people like to hate him, but in my book hes all class.
Wanker to listen too but would be a dream to have him on board ala Stuart/Kimmorley cameo.

Even Hunt would be just as good, both class footballers with plenty of footy left in em.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have a slight question mark over his communication. Undoubtedly a great halfback, one of the best of his generation, but all in all his club team has underperformed, and I wander if his undoubted football brain is not translating well to the rest of the team. If he tries to take up coaching post-playing I guess that will be put to the test.

I think T.Trbo is a bigger issue at the club than anything. Has only had one good season in the last 5 years..

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think T.Trbo is a bigger issue at the club than anything. Has only had one good season in the last 5 years..
He is, and Manly probably overachieved in his Dally M season. But I feel that when Turbs hasn't been in the picture Manly have underachieved, they haven't threatened the 8 in 3 seasons of the last 4 seasons, and they have a better squad than that especially with DCE in halfback playing almost every game. Last season is possibly an exception, their cattle wasn't quite so good, but the two out of three seasons before that which they didn't threaten the 8 were poor given their squad and DCE.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Cleary does all the long kicking DESPITE the defence knowing it's going to him and pressuring him, that's HARDLY a glowing endorsement of Luai's long-kicking game, IS it? :neutral:
It happens in all games. Reynolds, Burton, Cleary, Hunt, and a lot more. All teams have a nominated kicker. Luai is not one.

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't be that hard up for tigers deal if luai saying he hasnt signed the deal

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is, and Manly probably overachieved in his Dally M season. But I feel that when Turbs hasn't been in the picture Manly have underachieved, they haven't threatened the 8 in 3 seasons of the last 4 seasons, and they have a better squad than that especially with DCE in halfback playing almost every game. Last season is possibly an exception, their cattle wasn't quite so good, but the two out of three seasons before that which they didn't threaten the 8 were poor given their squad and DCE.
Dont rate their squad at all tbh... Cant remember the las time they had a menacing forward pack.

If anything i reckon without DCE they would have been battling spooners most years.

In regards to reliability and class... DCE and Hunt are VERY underrated in my books. Also cant remember these blokes ever missing games for injuries..

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
“People”, that includes Gould and Ciraldo and there’s a high probability that they see and know much more than we fans do. Ciraldo, in particular, saw Luai almost every day for 5+ years, I’d suggest he knows exactly what he is capable of.

Personally, not that my option is worth much, is that I have seen enough evidence that Luai is a halfback playing 5/8 because the coach’s son plays halfback. Which is always going to be the case at Penrith. He’s not leaving for money, he’s leaving to be free to play how and where he thinks he is best.

Always a Bulldog
"Because the coaches son plays halfback." Ah, yes. Nepotism at its finest, poooor Luai! I guess Fitler and Meninga must be his god-fathers too, it couldn't POSSIBLY be that Cleary's BETTER at the position... :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.