NRL club chairmen walk out as Todd Greenberg and John Grant backflip on funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

FOUR club chairmen have stormed out of a fiery meeting with NRL bosses after a breakdown in negotiations over future funding which threatens the worst split in the game since Super League.

Canterbury’s Ray Dib, Cronulla’s Damian Keogh, Melbourne Storm’s Bart Campbell and the Cowboys’ Laurence Lancini all walked out after 15 minutes.

They met at a nearby hotel to discuss their next move.

Those club bosses also have the support of Roosters boss Nick Politis, who is overseas but left them with his proxy vote.

Seven chairmen from other clubs remained in the room.

In a dramatic day at the NRL’s Moore Park headquarters, chief executive Todd Greenberg and commission chairman John Grant reneged on a deal done last year to fund the clubs 30 per cent more than the salary cap each year.

media_cameraARL Chairman John Grant. Picture: Jono Searle
They told the chairmen that all previous agreements had been scrapped and they were now working on a new strategic plan on how to spend the $1.8 billion TV deal.

There was talk after the meeting that clubs would now issue a vote of no confidence in Grant as chairman of the commission.

The chairmen met recently with the NRL and could not agree on any of the 12 points on the agenda.

All 16 clubs end their participation agreements with the NRL next year, which has led to talks of a rebel breakaway group.

The NRL will shortly release a statement on the meeting.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Only thing i will give this **** **** credit for atm.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What no Bronks walkout ???? That's right with no salary cap and the NRL looking the other way life is sweet :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The silly old **** needs to fuck off and do something else... all he HAS done whilst in is furthur destroy the great game we call Rugby League.

Push through the vote of no confidence and send this clown (and Groanberg) both packing.

I know where the $1.8BILLION dollar deal will be spent (or some of it).

Joke Gwant - Performance related salary increase + $2 million per season.
Tadd Groanberg - Performance related salary increase + $1 million per season.

Joke Gwant - Christmas bonus $500k per season.
Tadd Groanberg - Christmas bonus $300k per season.

Why are there only 11 of 16 clubs chairmen there (or don't the clubs under NRL control have a say?)
And 5 of 11 are against it then (given Politis proxy vote).... that's not a good sign.

If Dogs, Storm, Sharks, Cowboys, and Roosters all walk from the game, NRL is screwed.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
The silly old **** needs to fuck off and do something else... all he HAS done whilst in is furthur destroy the great game we call Rugby League.

Push through the vote of no confidence and send this clown (and Groanberg) both packing.

I know where the $1.8BILLION dollar deal will be spent (or some of it).

Joke Gwant - Performance related salary increase + $2 million per season.
Tadd Groanberg - Performance related salary increase + $1 million per season.

Joke Gwant - Christmas bonus $500k per season.
Tadd Groanberg - Christmas bonus $300k per season.

Why are there only 11 of 16 clubs chairmen there (or don't the clubs under NRL control have a say?)
And 5 of 11 are against it then (given Politis proxy vote).... that's not a good sign.

If Dogs, Storm, Sharks, Cowboys, and Roosters all walk from the game, NRL is screwed.
Inept Muppets. I wonder how many rugby league fans actually like the direction the game is taking? The Smith/Greenberg/Grant error has been one of the worst things EVER to happen to rugby league. I really hope there is a vote of no confidence. I thought Greenberg was a failure as director of football and he is no better as CEO

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a super league with Phil Gould as CEO, I know that a lot of people will laugh at that but the guy would run the game the way it should be, developing young talent and making sure those players have the best facilities to develop. He also has the balls to say what needs to be said.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol.
Imagine a breakaway comp between the storm, Cowboys, sharks, roosters and us ?? We'd lose every fucken year !

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

FOUR club chairmen have stormed out of a fiery meeting with NRL bosses after a breakdown in negotiations over future funding which threatens the worst split in the game since Super League.

Canterbury’s Ray Dib, Cronulla’s Damian Keogh, Melbourne Storm’s Bart Campbell and the Cowboys’ Laurence Lancini all walked out after 15 minutes.

They met at a nearby hotel to discuss their next move.

Those club bosses also have the support of Roosters boss Nick Politis, who is overseas but left them with his proxy vote.

Seven chairmen from other clubs remained in the room.

In a dramatic day at the NRL’s Moore Park headquarters, chief executive Todd Greenberg and commission chairman John Grant reneged on a deal done last year to fund the clubs 30 per cent more than the salary cap each year.

media_cameraARL Chairman John Grant. Picture: Jono Searle
They told the chairmen that all previous agreements had been scrapped and they were now working on a new strategic plan on how to spend the $1.8 billion TV deal.

There was talk after the meeting that clubs would now issue a vote of no confidence in Grant as chairman of the commission.

The chairmen met recently with the NRL and could not agree on any of the 12 points on the agenda.

All 16 clubs end their participation agreements with the NRL next year, which has led to talks of a rebel breakaway group.

The NRL will shortly release a statement on the meeting.
Grantrat and Greenrat fucked the game, fuck them both

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't know what the funding is being pulled for, but if its to help strengthen the new 2nd tier comp and junior systems then fuck the cap increase, it can wait.
If not then punt Grant, who i think has the best fucking job around, seems to me like he doesn't really do anything.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
why did Dib go on our behalf and not Ratlene ? or was this only for the chairmen?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know what the funding is being pulled for, but if its to help strengthen the new 2nd tier comp and junior systems then fuck the cap increase, it can wait.
If not then punt Grant, who i think has the best fucking job around, seems to me like he doesn't really do anything.

His 'mouthpiece' Greenberg did most of the talking to the media justifying the decision. Clubs are still left waiting regarding cap news.....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Clubs not knowing heir salary caps two years ahead is ridiculous.

ALRC, NRL etc should realise its there to represent, serve and support the clubs, no the other way around.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Come on Super League 2.0!!! I don't really mind Grant even though his a wanker of the highest regard. Can you imagine if Realene Castle and Greenturd joined forces??? The Bulldogs would be totally fucked even more so than we already are, with both these idiots out to prove no favoritism towards the Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.