News NRL 2024: Strengths and weaknesses of Canterbury Bulldogs’ forward pack

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone confirm if Zac Montgomery has left the club?
My understanding is he signed for 2 years in late 2022, that would be 2023 and 2024. It would have to be a mutual decision for him to move on.

Always a Bulldog

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
More than size, lack of determination was our biggest issue last season. If we struggle with momentum due to size, but don't give up defensively like last season we'll be in a better spot. I think our backline will be far better equipped to deal out damage in attack from long range. From what I've read about training, we've got some forwards like Curren reportedly bringing high levels of intensity. Hopefully we wind up getting more out of our under rated prop rotation than we expect.
Having a big forward pack is the easy way but won't guarantee success. We have a decent pack, especially when you include the backrowers. Adding in the backs who like a run and hopefully do their important parts in defence, we can seriously make an impact to the ladder.

As you mentioned, it's an individual and collective mentality, if that's on point all the time, players backing each other, covering, supporting in attack drawing defenders off the hit up, always pushing even when the going gets tough, positivity will stay high looking for ways to continue the intensity and always improving, then results will come.

It's a simple game, no need to fancy it up with too many sweeps/block plays, coordination on where they want their sets to be plus offloads will be awesome though.

Bring on 2024, can't wait

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will need to rotate wingers so they don't break like Kiraz did. Got plenty just need to be smart with resting players.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Bulldogs know they’re not the biggest pack, but they plan on being the hungriest in 2024. This is how Canterbury’s forward plan fight their way back into finals contention.

They’re not the biggest or most experienced, but none of that matters if you’re the hungriest.
The Bulldogs are counting on it in 2024.
Fresh talent has flooded into the club this season and while the team itself is yet to discover an identity under coach Cameron Ciraldo, the forward pack is particularly crucial.
An aggressive pack is the hallmark of any successful Canterbury team.
“We’re not the biggest pack, but we have to be the hungriest. We want to be the hardest working pack and that’s our goal. We’re going to be aggressive,” says prop Liam Knight, in the midst of his first pre-season with the club.
Knight, 29, joined from South Sydney at the end of last season but is one of a handful of
new, versatile recruits added to the roster to refresh the team for 2024.
Kurt Mann (Newcastle), Josh Curran (Warriors) and Jake Turpin (Roosters) have all been added to the squad that lost Tevita Pangai Junior (retirement), Corey Waddell (Manly) and Luke Thompson (Wigan) - three big bodies replaced with smaller forwards.
Despite their size, the Bulldogs were bullied around the field last year and no forward averaged more than 100 metres per game across the season.
Your are right that its the "hungrier" pack that will win in the end. This has been a hallmark of Bulldog sides. I remember seeing the Dogs against Souths on Anzac day in the 80's. Known as the Anzac day massacre the Dogs lost Kelly for a swinging arm in the first couple of minutes, sent off and the Dogs rallied with 12 men and won 26 nil. Just kept turning up but were brutal in defence.

I think the Dogs have been renowned for their smaller forwards overcoming big opposing packs. Peter Kelly is known as one of the Dogs toughest forwards and he was only 5' 11 and 96kg and Gillespie was only 5' 11 and 95kg. Even in the modern era O'Meley was only 5' 11 and 106kg while Pay was only 6' 2 and 102kg. Pricy was similar size to King at 6'4 and 107kg.

Panthers props Fisher Harris 6'2 & 104kg and Leota 5'11 & 107kg are not the biggest but they play with agression and power. I mean I always thought tough props like Kelly, GillespieI and Leota were as big as dunnies but they are pretty small and still pack a punch.

I know we have a couple of x Bulldogs involved in O'Meley heading prop development and I am sure Mason sticks his head in. So hopefully that Bulldog spirit is rubbing off and a couple of young guns or even an old head gets a new lease of life and stands up. I'm going with Gus and think it might be Hughes.

But I reckon there may be another, maybe Knight might find a new lease of life in him and hoping even Mariner can give us at least one stand out season which I think if he has lasted this long and is still committed may well happen, bar injury touch wood lol.

Last edited: