News NRL 2023: Listen to Phil Gould’s shrewd plan which lured Cameron Ciraldo to Bulldogs

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2023: Listen to Phil Gould’s shrewd plan which lured Cameron Ciraldo to Bulldogs | Daily Telegraph
In a shrewd act of reverse psychology, Canterbury general manager Phil Gould has revealed he initially warned off Cameron Ciraldo from coaching at Belmore – telling the coach-in-waiting to remain at Penrith.

Gould advised Ciraldo it would be “easier” to remain at the Panthers rather than endure “a trip down the mines” at Belmore.

The ploy worked, with a clearly taunted Ciraldo calling the next day to tell Gould: “If it’s going to be difficult then I want to get into the fight.”

Ciraldo is now just over a week away from debuting in the NRL as head coach.

Talking at Canterbury’s season launch inside a marquee on Belmore Sports Ground, Gould also claimed his Bulldogs would return to being the “number one” club in rugby league.

For the first time, Gould disclosed how he managed to secure rising coach Ciraldo.

“I was in no hurry to go and out recruit a coach because Mick Potter was here, one of our great legends doing a great job towards the back-end of last year and we were only starting out on a long, hard road - it’s going to be difficult journey over the next few years,” Gould said.

Cameron Ciraldo. Picture: NRL
Cameron Ciraldo. Picture: NRL
“There were rumblings about Cameron Ciraldo being approached by a number of clubs to leave the Panthers, where he has been mightily successful over the last decade.

“All I did was ring him and said: ‘Look, if there ever comes a day where you think you’re going to leave Penrith, then look no further than the Bulldogs’.

“That’s all I said to him. I never offered him a job. A few weeks later, he rang me and said: ‘Can we talk?’

“I said ‘yeah, I can (one day) come down’ and he said: ‘What do you mean ‘one day’, why not now’?

LISTEN TO GOULD’S CIRALDO SIGNING TALE IN THE PLAYER ABOVE

“I said: ‘Well, it’s going to be tough for a couple of years (at Canterbury). It will be a trip down the mines – this isn’t going to be glamorous and it will be a lot of hard work and this club will be in much better shape sometime into the future.’

“(I said) you might have another couple of premierships to win there at Panthers and you can do it a lot easier out there with the great team that you’ve got.

“He rang me the next morning and said: ‘If it’s going to be difficult then I want to get into the fight – and I want to do it straight away’. We are so lucky to have him. I’m really looking forward to the journey ahead over the next few years.”

Ciraldo is preparing his side for a round one blockbuster against Manly on Saturday week at 4 Pines Park.

While the journey may be arduous and lengthy, Gould has promised fans his club will be back at rugby league’s premier club.

“The Bulldogs are the number one club and I promise we will be number one again,” Gould said.

“I know the journey is going to be tough and I know we are all going to have to work hard. There are going to be some good days and some tough days.

“At the very elite level, you’ve got to have that mongrel in you, that desire, that heart and that want and we know what mongrel is called here – it’s called Bulldogs.”

Gould – criticised for excessive spending - has built a remarkable team on and off the field.

Canterbury GM Phil Gould. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty
Canterbury GM Phil Gould. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty
“The last 12 months has been a mission of discovery and we were able to sit down with the board and say: ‘If we’re going to build a future for this club and a future of sustained success, we need high performance coaching, high performance, our best practice in high performance, best practice in medical to look after these players, best practice in recruitment, to scour the world and get the best available, and the best practice in turning these young fellas into Bulldogs and great NRL players in their own right,” Gould said.

“And they (the club’s board) haven’t spared a cent in trying to do that and have supported us all the way through. Anyone that has been here for any amount of time, you’re always a Bulldog. We are all part of one family.

“The NRL is no place for the faint-hearted – it’s not for everyone. It’s a test each and every week. That scoreboard means something every weekend and we are all affected by that scoreboard.”

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I really hope Ciraldo is the next great coach. Bellamy has done an amazing job to keep the Storm competitive for close to 20 years.
Yep we still havent got definitive proof yet. 1 good trial vs a bottom 8 team and a bad trial against a top 4 team. Not enough to judge. Already better than Baz though

KakkaDog

Banned
Reaction score
I'm the first to deathride the dogs, and also declare them unstoppable juggernauts, because both stances are funny, but honestly CC needs the whole season to figure it out, or even to properly demonstrate if hes capable of figuring it out. I have faith, in the dogs and God. Far more faith in God, but the dogs, if you really, really think about it, could be Him in reverse.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm happy with the appearance of team spirit we're seeing. But that may not translate into wins. Any rookie coach is a gamble and all we have at the moment is a warm feeling based on the fact that we beat out another Celler dwelling club for Ciraldo's services and some videos showing players happy after bonding sessions.

I don't know if I'm just over cautious. But I have been bitten by a dog called blind optimism in recent years. It's wagging it's tail again now, but I'm not sticking my hand out to be bitten again.

We've recruited very well in snaring a class hooker. We're probably still a few key players away from being a scarily skillful team. So hopefully Ciraldo is the real deal and we exceed my expectations and get into the territory where my hopes rest.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm the first to deathride the dogs, and also declare them unstoppable juggernauts, because both stances are funny, but honestly CC needs the whole season to figure it out, or even to properly demonstrate if hes capable of figuring it out. I have faith, in the dogs and God. Far more faith in God, but the dogs, if you really, really think about it, could be Him in reverse.
You're not supposed to have all of the acid at once.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love to see 10 wins this season, competing every game with no blow outs. We’re another good prop, a decent halfback and a quality fullback away from finals footy.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally different pre-season to the last 5 or 6 and with the addition of Mahoney, Kiks, Sutton and even Reynolds I dont think trial form told us too much about whats to come. Im still keen to see how our D shapes up, if we get that right then we can start to dream of finals etc.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think another big thing is how we use this 650k cap we got that Gus said at the meeting. That is another huge piece of our puzzle. Like it or not it’s clear Crichton Mahoney and burton are 3/4 of our spines future for now.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think another big thing is how we use this 650k cap we got that Gus said at the meeting. That is another huge piece of our puzzle. Like it or not it’s clear Crichton Mahoney and burton are 3/4 of our spines future for now.
Is he going to use it to sign a gun or re-sign?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It will have to be more than $650k because we have 30 players registered, which means one will have to go hence releasing whatever his contract is PLUS the $650k that is already available.

Always a Bulldog

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm happy with the appearance of team spirit we're seeing. But that may not translate into wins. Any rookie coach is a gamble and all we have at the moment is a warm feeling based on the fact that we beat out another Celler dwelling club for Ciraldo's services and some videos showing players happy after bonding sessions.

I don't know if I'm just over cautious. But I have been bitten by a dog called blind optimism in recent years. It's wagging it's tail again now, but I'm not sticking my hand out to be bitten again.

We've recruited very well in snaring a class hooker. We're probably still a few key players away from being a scarily skillful team. So hopefully Ciraldo is the real deal and we exceed my expectations and get into the territory where my hopes rest.
You have to still factor in that the bulk of the squad this year is still not CC and Goulds team. A lot are coming off contract this year, as well as juniors and development players that will take a few years to really reap the benefits of.

The team spirit is a great start, but its not just about the team spirit, it's having everyone from the board, the front office, coaching staff and players on the same page. Can't remember the last time we had that. Many would argue it was Des' fault because he kept the board and front office away from the playing group, many would argue that was because the board was toxic and they shouldnt have been allowed around the playing group - anyway thats not the point, the point is it seems like everyone is on the same page which is extremely important as we move forward.

The test will come this year when we lose a few games and arent playing as good as we should, then we'll see just how rock solid the team and board are.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It will have to be more than $650k because we have 30 players registered, which means one will have to go hence releasing whatever his contract is PLUS the $650k that is already available.

Always a Bulldog
If we release someone it would only be partial $ as that’s been paid over half no doubt if it happens

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If we release someone it would only be partial $ as that’s been paid over half no doubt if it happens
If it happened now being 5 month in it would be contract value / 12 x 7.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is he going to use it to sign a gun or re-sign?
Not sure who we could sign at this point. We will probably use it to upgrade some contracts. When does it have to be spent by ?