News NRL 2023: Josh Reynolds referee abuse apology, Phil Gould reaction | Daily Telegraph

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2023: Josh Reynolds referee abuse apology, Phil Gould reaction | Daily Telegraph
Canterbury general manager of football, Phil Gould, will warn Josh Reynolds against swearing at a match official again – but claimed referee Grant Atkins was “mistaken” in penalising him in the first place.

It comes as Gould also declared Atkins needed help controlling his emotions after he reacted angrily to Reynolds screaming “bulls***” at him when the referee’s decision to penalise him for making contact with the head of St George Illawarra fullback Tyrell Sloan when making a tackle in Canterbury’s 18-16 win.

“We will talk to Josh about the swearing,” Gould said on Tuesday. “We all have to accept the umpire’s decision, even when we know they are mistaken.

“But we won’t be doing anything about trying to dampen Josh’s competitiveness and passion.”

Despite this, Reynolds on Tuesday apologised and pleaded guilty to both the dangerous contact and contrary conduct charges stemming from his tackle on Sloan and subsequent outburst, which both carry $1000 fines.

Should Josh Reynolds be punished for his referee outburst?

Yes - player dissent is not on

Speaking on 100% Footy, Gould questioned Atkins’ handling of the situation.

“The other reaction (from Atkins) was very emotional and as a referee he needs to be helped in that regard as well,” he said.

It hasn’t impacted the NRL’s confidence in Atkins, who has been assigned two games to adjudicate in Magic Round. He will be in charge of Saturday’s clash between Melbourne and South Sydney, and will then back up for Sunday’s Sydney Roosters v North Queensland Cowboys clash.

Reynolds apologised on Tuesday for swearing at Atkins, claiming the penalty he conceded “killed” him.

“I am really sorry for all the kids that had to hear that,” Reynolds told The Big Sports Radio show. “It’s obviously not a great look. I love being a role model for the young kids.

“But I’m a passionate person. I care about the result, every battle and every single play I am in.

Josh Reynolds and Grant Atkins have a disagreement.
Josh Reynolds and Grant Atkins have a disagreement.
“Costing my team a penalty like that kills me. Hopefully people can understand that I was fairly riled up.

“I’ll be honest and say that I wish I chose my wording a bit better. I really do mean that. One hundred per cent.

“To clear everything up, it wasn’t an actual personal attack on the ref. It wasn’t about him at all. It was more about the situation.

“I’m sure people can understand that, in the heat of battle, as a player, I’m allowed to ask a question and I’m allowed to have an opinion on that call.

“It was a great win and I felt really good out there personally, so it takes the shine off the win.”

At halftime of the match, Reynolds approached Atkins for clarity after being penalised for his contact on Sloan.

“What did I do?” he asked Atkins.

Atkins responded: “I thought you got him in the back of the head on the way down.”

Reynolds: “Bulls***, I hit him in the back of the head”.

Atkins responded: “I beg your pardon. Come out here, come out here, come here. Don’t say a word.”

Asked how he would approach a similar situation in the future, Reynolds said: “Probably just take a breath, but that’s easily said.”

‘BULL****’: IS $1000 FINE ENOUGH FOR REFEREE DISSENT?

By Paul Crawley

NRL boss Andrew Abdo has invoked his powers and demanded the match review committee review their decision not to charge Josh Reynolds for abusing referee Grant Atkins.

The Bulldogs’ veteran sensationally escaped a charge on Monday morning for hollering “bulls***” at Atkins in a fiery exchange leading into the halftime break during Sunday’s game against St George Illawarra.

However, following Abdo’s intervention, the match review committee has done a backflip, hitting Reynolds with a grade-one contrary conduct charge, which carries a $1000 fine.

He was also issued another charge, stemming from the incident which was the catalyst for his spray at Atkins.

Reynolds questioned a penalty that went against him for whacking Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan in the back of the head in the 39th minute.

The NRL on Monday sided with Atkins, charging Reynolds with grade-one dangerous contact, which comes with another $1000 fine.

Fans were already outraged that Reynolds was not immediately sin binned on Sunday, with an overwhelming 81 per cent of more than 3000 punters saying he should have been marched.

The situation has not been made any better by the fact this incident involving Reynolds came on the same weekend horrifying vision emerged of a soccer referee getting violently attacked after a match in western Sydney.

Atkins was clearly angry after Reynolds questioned the Sloan penalty, taking it up with the referee just before the players left the field at half-time.

When Atkins told Reynolds that he thought there was head contact, Reynolds screamed “bull****”.

While some commentators thought the incident did not warrant any further action, the concern is this type of aggressive behaviour directly towards any match officials is not only unacceptable at NRL level but it filters down the chain to park footy and junior sport.

Grant Atkins warns Josh Reynolds.
Grant Atkins warns Josh Reynolds.
NRL CEO Andrew Abdo. Picture: Matt King/Getty
NRL CEO Andrew Abdo. Picture: Matt King/Getty
The NRL has made massive strides in recent years to improve the respect given to referees, but Reynolds clearly overstepped the line on this occasion.

It was also a penalty that was warranted given the replays clearly show Reynolds had made contact to Sloan’s head.

While Dogs fans may have felt hard done by when Corey Waddell was later sin binned for a professional foul, the fact is they should have lost Reynolds earlier.

Reynolds wasn’t the only player charged from that game.

The Dragons’ Jack Bird was hit with a grade-one dangerous throw charge for his lifting tackle on Canterbury forward Tevita Pangai Jr, but only faces a $1000 fine.

Elsewhere, Sydney Roosters pair Luke Keary and Lindsay Collins were hit with fines for dangerous contact charges in their match against the Warriors, while New Zealand centre Viliami Vailea is also $1000 lighter in the hip pocket, courtesy of a grade-one careless high tackle on the Roosters’ Nat Butcher.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s hope it’s over, there’s no malice, and we don’t get trashed on Friday night, I am worried though because there’s been quite a bit said about it, I so want to see the blokes get back to back wins & jump higher up the ladder.

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Although I definitely think we have had some harsh treatment from refs this year, I’m finding this one to be hard to defend.

1) it does appear that Reynolds’s did make contact with the back of the head ( regardless of if it was careless or intentional)

2) I’m prity sure saying bullshit to the ref when he explains why he made the decision would have got many players at the very least penalized and perhaps even 10 in the bin.

Josh Reynolds’s enthusiasm is a huge benefit, but he really needs to find the correct balance that doesn’t jeopardize ruining the good things he does with poor discipline.

In saying that, the Waddell situation was handled very poorly by Atkins.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In these types of situations denial, especially vehement denial, is not going to work out. Better off framing it as minimal "it was incidental sir, he didn't even get checked by the trainer", and then putting it back on the ref "happy to cop it so long as it is penalised consistently". Then when your own player gets anything similar call out a friendly reminder.

Make out as though you are working with them, and don't abuse them.

Again though, Atkins needs to get the tanty displays out of his reffing, bit rich expecting the players to control their emotions when the ref clearly isn't.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I swear Abdo and his cronies are killing rugby league....it's a game of passion, tribal warfare or at least it once was. Now it feels like a choreographed dance, a WWE match where the victor / result has already been decided even before a ball has been kicked. Give me a break....things happen and are said in the heat of the moment. Josh Reynolds did not knee him in the never regions or punch Atkins in the face all he said was bullshit a word used daily to express disbelief by millions in all facets of life but its to harsh a word for the NRL's thin skinned Voldermorts and hierarchy to comprehend. Sure kids today look up to these players as role modles and one can argue it dosen't look good for the game, I'm sure these same kids have heard a lot worse but bombarding kids with betting ads is fair game. Abdo you are a biased fucking hypocrite that's how I see you, It's a nothing story that would have been forgotten had Abdo kept his nose and bias out and away from the Bulldogs and match review commity. Fuck this game is getting soft!!!

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Abdo step in and make sure Souths were fined for having 14 men on the park, I know it’s been reported by SMH that they could be fined upwards of $10,000/$20,000 but has it been confirmed they’ve been fined or has it been swept under the carpet, because that’s all gone very quiet .…

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So guys… here’s the exact transcript of went down just on half time vs Dragons….

Reynolds:- “Why’d you penalise me earlier”?

Atkins:- “Mate, Flanagan was hard done by”!

Reynolds:- “Bullsh1t”, he’s f#cked”

Atkins:- “Over here… Josh, not another word”!

Mahoney:- “Josh, Josh… you won’t be playing next year, so just clock the c#nt & send a message to the Sutton bros not to mess with us”!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont get it... But he elbowed a kid on the ground, didnt he?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Did Abdo step in and make sure Souths were fined for having 14 men on the park, I know it’s been reported by SMH that they could be fined upwards of $10,000/$20,000 but has it been confirmed they’ve been fined or has it been swept under the carpet, because that’s all gone very quiet .…
It's reported that its the first time Abdo has used his special powers to step in and query the MRC to change their ruling.

Of all the foul play, the illegal tackles and incidents missed and discrepancies between different sentences for different players and different teams, this guy is so concerned. So enraged that JR says bullshit. Not to the ref, he looked to the ground as he said it but he chooses this incdent to step in. Just wow.