No Haas, No Tino, No TPJ, No Worries

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we can make even worse statements. We coulda had Reynolds or Shaun Johnson if we dumped enough money in.. and still had some left over for some decent forwards

instead we bet on flanno, who is now probably not going to be a nrl player
Exactly. Reynolds would have probably come to us cheaper than the Broncos because he wouldn't have had to move his family interstate. The Broncos weren't going well at the time he signed either. We lowballed Johnson apparently. Maybe a couple of hundred grand more would have delayed him going bac to NZ. He admitted he almost signed with us as it was. Even chatted to Burto about it after a game.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Months ago on Twitter Gus said he was in no rush to sign players from outside our club. He wanted to see more of our own players first. In the next month or two Hunt and others were re-signed by their current clubs then about a month Gus whinged on Twitter there wasn't much left on the shelf and because of that it was increasing the price of the few still available. Maybe if he'd acted sooner we would have got someone decent. Hunt wouldn't be on huge money. We could easily have snared him if we offered 100K more likely. He's a decent big body middle - the type we need even more desperately now but it's too late. According to reports Lenui signed with the Roosters for less than 600K. I also heard Gus didn't even make an offer to Lenui.
Sounds like your to invested in what’s said in the media … you should know that what’s being said and what’s really happening behind the scenes are 2 different things ..

What Gould is sprouting on media platforms can be far from the truth, it’s to keep the media from ruining things and negotiations getting ruined ..

We also have no idea about salary cap management … we don’t know how much room we have, we don’t know what we’ll need for the future to keep some young blokes or what deals need to be dropped because it will destabilise or unbalance the cap ..

We also don’t know what player managers are doing behind closed doors either, they can play clubs off against each other, a desperate club they might try to screw and get them to pay overs, a club in the 8 where the manager might manage a few players in the team might be nicer and negotiate a cheaper price …

It’s a complicated area … we have no idea what’s really going on behind closed doors …

The thing is .. if they can pick up quality players where they can, they will, but it’s not as cut and dry as your saying … some players just might not even want to come to our club … it’s a tough gig …

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How far has Rugby League fallen in the last 25 years..I must say all this mess the NRL and player management created with Clubs is a blight on the game. Too many hands in the pot and the players don't even see how much of the deals carved out really do go to them. I argue this every month with a family member who works for a notable company that manages a number of players. She laughs and says that's business

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How far has Rugby League fallen in the last 25 years..I must say all this mess the NRL and player management created with Clubs is a blight on the game. Too many hands in the pot and the players don't even see how much of the deals carved out really do go to them. I argue this every month with a family member who works for a notable company that manages a number of players. She laughs and says that's business
Don’t get me started mate, we should have a couple of beers together .. talk about the day the game allowed the white collar executive p***** to rule the blue collar game, that’s the day it all went to chit ..

Everything became about money,

They were speaking today about how we’d carry the old styrofoam esky’s full of beer and food into the game when it was free entry … sitting on the hill with your mates and family and just loving watching your club and the game … … F*** I miss those days .. the game was played by tough men who worked tough jobs for a living … now it’s mostly played by entitled egotistical boys …. It was predicted we’d eventually just be watching kids when they got rid of proper reserve grade … they were right ..

It’s really now just a spectator entertainment money spinner, ruled by the referees gambling and those that hold the power … the real tough game of rugby league that we loved is long dead ..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your to invested in what’s said in the media … you should know that what’s being said and what’s really happening behind the scenes are 2 different things ..

What Gould is sprouting on media platforms can be far from the truth, it’s to keep the media from ruining things and negotiations getting ruined ..

We also have no idea about salary cap management … we don’t know how much room we have, we don’t know what we’ll need for the future to keep some young blokes or what deals need to be dropped because it will destabilise or unbalance the cap ..

We also don’t know what player managers are doing behind closed doors either, they can play clubs off against each other, a desperate club they might try to screw and get them to pay overs, a club in the 8 where the manager might manage a few players in the team might be nicer and negotiate a cheaper price …

It’s a complicated area … we have no idea what’s really going on behind closed doors …

The thing is .. if they can pick up quality players where they can, they will, but it’s not as cut and dry as your saying … some players just might not even want to come to our club … it’s a tough gig …
The way we're playing now I wouldn't be surprised at any player not wanting to come to our club unless we pay massive overs