Opinion No Bandaid Solutions

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No. Sack Georgie under those circumstances.

But the circumstances aren't transferable.

We have to factor in our new signings, which most agree, are a direct result of Baz in 2 cases and probably a big factor with Fox.

We know where you are coming from. Very few fans are 100% confident in Barrettt and a lot didn't think he was the right choice but the inescapable fact is it's been done.

If we don't persevere for at least next season, then we run the risk of even further eroding our reputation, results and set in motion possible player unrest and a very unsettled environment.

Its a rock and hard place but we have no alternative until the roster is even partially rebuilt.
I disagree with the notion that players are coming for Barrett.

We have $$ to spend, players will come if we have a gritty, hard working culture, led by an astute coach. We just don’t have this at present.

We already signed Cotric prior to Barrett (irrespective of what people think of him now, this guy was a good signing)...

A coach with an idea trumps “high profile” signings IMO.

If we keep going the way we are going, we will struggle to sign anyone else.

We need a top quality coach - and entertaining the thought of signing more support people around Barrett is just comical. Gould on 800k as a coordinator is just ridiculous.

If he wasn’t “Trent Barrett”, with his reputation as a former player and strong media support, we would be calling for another coach to be moved on.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that players are coming for Barrett.

We have $$ to spend, players will come if we have a gritty, hard working culture, led by an astute coach. We just don’t have this at present.

We already signed Cotric prior to Barrett (irrespective of what people think of him now, this guy was a good signing)...

A coach with an idea trumps “high profile” signings IMO.

If we keep going the way we are going, we will struggle to sign anyone else.

We need a top quality coach - and entertaining the thought of signing more support people around Barrett is just comical. Gould on 800k as a coordinator is just ridiculous.

If he wasn’t “Trent Barrett”, with his reputation as a former player and strong media support, we would be calling for another coach to be moved on.
Possibly so but we have to deal with reality.
Most of what you say is correct but we need a real plan.

What coach currently available, or viable atm, do you think we can appoint?

These guys in power at the club say they have a plan. They do appear to be working together.

Yes I agree if it wasn't for Baz' high profile, there would be louder calls for him to be sacked.

However, that is a major reason why we can't throw the little positive bit of player signings, out the window and jeopardise that.

I believe that is primarily attributable to Baz, at this stage, and the Chairman and Board appear to think that as well.

We are all dissatisfied with our results and I hold Barrett accountable for our playing style and lack of execution but it's on the players as well and they have proven very average.

Say your new coach doesnt fire them up next year, do we get another coach mid season next year or if we get the spoon again? At some stage we have to stick and pick and sign and barter players and transfer and bargain our way out of this. Then look at coaches.

Barrett will have full responsibility for this team and results next year.

Last edited:

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Quite frankly bring back Dean Pay half a week and get him to work on our defence, give the other half of the week for Trent Barret to work out how to get our guys scoring points. I mean it’s not that stupid an idea NFL has been doing this since it started, yes I know they have two different teams but seriously I liked our grit and resolve to stop tries under Dean. He just lacked any idea on how to score or teach or backs anything.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So who you want as coach....let me guess ..Shane Flanagan right?

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nope Trent as coach, something went missing from our defence from last year as bad as we performed at least teams knew they were in for a fight. Might want to read my post again thought it was pretty clear.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Does your instinct say Barrett is the right man?

Mine doesn’t.

I didn’t think he was the right man when they signed him.

Here’s a scenario for you:

Let’s say the dogs decided to extend Steve Georgallis’ contract for one year at the end of last year. Let’s say the board thought he did a pretty good job under the circumstances and decided to repay his loyalty and effort by extending his contract by one year to see what he could do with a full season under his belt.

Fast forward to now, we are dead last under Georgallis, with just one win and averaging 30 points against us and just 14 points for. We’ve had a number of games where we have been kept to nil and our play makers appear directionless. It seems the players aren’t really putting in and some of our more experienced (and usually most consistent players) are in career worst form. Georgallis doesn’t seem to have the answers and he keeps wanting to talk about 2022 and beyond.

With the current trajectory, should Georgallis’ contract be renewed at the end of the year?

Thoughts?
Would Georgallis have signed Burton ? No he wouldn't have... Amazing how much more down people seem this weekend and we haven't even played a game haha

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would Georgallis have signed Burton ? No he wouldn't have... Amazing how much more down people seem this weekend and we haven't even played a game haha
I think it’s important to deal with the present.

Burton comes next year. Let’s jump for joy when he actually arrives.

What about now? How are we travelling now? What impact has the change of coach had?

Let’s try to focus on those questions (without saying “rebuild” or “2022”)

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it’s important to deal with the present.

Burton comes next year. Let’s jump for joy when he actually arrives.

What about now? How are we travelling now? What impact has the change of coach had?

Let’s try to focus on those questions (without saying “rebuild” or “2022”)
If you're focusing on now - then without a doubt, Baz has failed. No one can question that.

He signed 4 players to contracts (Waddell, Allan, Flanno, Hetherington) - and neither of them have come even close to setting the world alight. All were signed by Baz.

You could question he has had injuries (JJ, Meaney, DWZ, RFM, Allan - although I consider his an upgrade, even if we bought in Heka Nanai as his replacement).

Money would have been better to front load DWZ's 2022 contract to this year, so we aren't as affected next year, and upgrade some juniors. Then go crazy for spending in 2022 (Brandon Smith, could of offered more for Leniu, and chase a gun halfback) . Just my personal opinion.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeh but not just the normal WD40, he needed the expensive one called WD40 Silicone used for sliding door tracks and impossible to move joints. I’ve seen it at bunnings.
It's good for garage doors too.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're focusing on now - then without a doubt, Baz has failed. No one can question that.

He signed 4 players to contracts (Waddell, Allan, Flanno, Hetherington) - and neither of them have come even close to setting the world alight. All were signed by Baz.

You could question he has had injuries (JJ, Meaney, DWZ, RFM, Allan - although I consider his an upgrade, even if we bought in Heka Nanai as his replacement).

Money would have been better to front load DWZ's 2022 contract to this year, so we aren't as affected next year, and upgrade some juniors. Then go crazy for spending in 2022 (Brandon Smith, could of offered more for Leniu, and chase a gun halfback) . Just my personal opinion.
Waddell Allan etc should have been max 2 yers contracts - preferably one year to prove themselves

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Waddell Allan etc should have been max 2 yers contracts - preferably one year to prove themselves
They probably don't sign then (it would of been a blessing in disguise, but apply this to almost everyone). We have to give players an incentive to come and it's most likely going to be either money or length of contract (if not both).