New Zealand star Brendon McCullum will play in the Twenty20 final for NSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
New Zealand star Brendon McCullum will play in the Twenty20 final for NSW

January 22, 2009

NEW South Wales have hired big-hitting New Zealand star Brendon McCullum to open the batting in the KFC Big Bash Twenty20 final against Victoria.

Wicketkeeper McCullum, who will tour with New Zealand next month for a five-match one-day series against Australia, has a big reputation in Twenty20 cricket.

The 27-year-old blasted the highest individual Twenty20 score during the opening match of the 2008 Indian Premier League when he scored 158 not out off just 73 balls.

NSW have already qualified for the Twenty20 Champions League in India this October, and McCullum's presence on Saturday will allow him to participate in the Champions League even if his IPL team, Kolkata Knight Riders, fail to qualify.

Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert was delighted to have landed McCullum.

"Cricket NSW is thrilled to have secured the services of Brendon McCullum," Gilbert said.

"With the potential losses the NSW squad may suffer depending on which two IPL teams qualify for the Champions League, it is vital that we strengthen our squad ahead of that tournament.

"Brendon is one of the most dangerous limited-overs batsman in world cricket and will be a tremendous asset to NSW in terms of his considerable international experience and the match-winning ability he brings."

AAP

hmm will victoria go and get yuvraj singh then? :whacky:

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Go NSW!!!! I have no idea about these domestic sides but go NSW!

D

dogs_4 lyf

lol its funny how there aloud to sign a player to play in the final and hasnt been in the whole competiton, that **** if u ask me.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
used to watch it when was on ch 9 now its gone to foxsports :(

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
lol its funny how there aloud to sign a player to play in the final and hasnt been in the whole competiton, that **** if u ask me.
especially for the guy that misses out

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Andrew Symonds believes NSW selection of Brendon McCullum is un-Australian

January 22, 2009

ANDREW Symonds has described NSW's decision to bring in New Zealand star Brendon McCullum for Saturday's interstate Twenty20 final against Victoria as un-Australian.

NSW have already qualified for the Twenty20 Champions League in India this October and McCullum's presence on Saturday will allow him to play for the Blues in the Champions League if his IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders fail to qualify.

McCullum and Phil Hughes were named on Thursday in the Blues team for the domestic final at ANZ Stadium in place of Simon Keen and Ed Cowan.

Asked if NSW's move to use McCullum at the expense of a local player was against the spirit of the game, Symonds said in Brisbane: "It goes against the spirit of being Australian.

"That's not Australian to me," said Symonds, who incorrectly assumed wicketkeeper Daniel Smith would be the player making way for big-hitting McCullum, who will open the batting.

"That bloke (Smith) would have worked his backside off to get where he is. If I was him I would be absolutely spewing.

"But on the other side of the coin, Brendon McCullum is a very good cricketer.

"But is that what NSW cricket is having to do?

"I would have thought a young player...needs to get all the help and opportunities he can receive."

Cricket NSW said the move was all about adding depth ahead of expected player loses to their IPL teams which qualify for the Champions League.

"Cricket NSW is thrilled to have secured the services of Brendon McCullum," Cricket NSW chief executive Dave Gilbert said.

"With the potential losses the NSW squad may suffer depending on which two IPL teams qualify for the Champions League, it is vital that we strengthen our squad ahead of that tournament.

"Brendon is one of the most dangerous limited-overs batsman in world cricket and will be a tremendous asset to NSW in terms of his considerable international experience and the match-winning ability he brings."

AAP

lol it's unaustralian

D

dogs_4 lyf

lol @ symonds, he cares now? leaves his training camps and goes fishing:p, but i agree with the point he makes about its slack for the player that misses out.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
What a load of rubbish.
So its alright for soccer teams to bring in foreigners but not have cricket teams do the same thing?
I think a cricket team is entitled to who they want in the team as they pay the wages

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
its a fair point that the guy that gets left out...but un australian?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
What a load of rubbish.
So its alright for soccer teams to bring in foreigners but not have cricket teams do the same thing?
I think a cricket team is entitled to who they want in the team as they pay the wages
no1 complains when foreigners come, think the point is,the guy been in the team all yr then they buy mccullum for final and he misses out, would be no probs if bought him at the start

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
no1 complains when foreigners come, think the point is,the guy been in the team all yr then they buy mccullum for final and he misses out, would be no probs if bought him at the start
I know what he means but McCullum makes me horny! I watched the IPL games last year and he was gun.
NSW are just smart at getting him in the side. He's the sort of player though that can go for a duck or score 100 of 60 balls

D

dogs_4 lyf

I know what he means but McCullum makes me horny! I watched the IPL games last year and he was gun.
NSW are just smart at getting him in the side. He's the sort of player though that can go for a duck or score 100 of 60 balls
whats the bet he will make between 0-10 in the final:p

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
yup sure is, if they didn't want this too happen they would have put in a rule to stop it, so done nothing wrong

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Symonds can stfu, won't warner be the one making way for McCullum as he'll be in the Aus side?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Symonds can stfu, won't warner be the one making way for McCullum as he'll be in the Aus side?
nah he wasn't in the game against vic, gonna be the fat wicketkeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.