Neighbour / Contract issue, advice wanted.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
IMG20230802124443~2.jpg

Look at this dodgy ass job, photo doesn't do it justice as I tried to smooth it out and clean it up as best I could before taking the snap. Pretty fucking pissed with a lump of concrete dumped in my yard.

The colorbond panel in the picture was leaning towards the plant in my side of the yard.
It was leaning because of the plants pressing against it on the other side, along with the panel being too high, wind factor etc.

Now the neighbour was keen to get it fixed, and told me a handy man would be coming to look at it today. He also asked if I could leave my car away from the front fence so the workers could gain access for inspection.

No quotes or other information was relayed to me. So I wake up at 10:30am (finished work at 3am) to go outside and find that this bullshit fucking job has been done without my consent!

I have had no consultation with any business regarding work on my property or neighbours. I intend to speak with my neighbour tomorrow and ask for all details, so I can call the "handyman" and blast the ****... Want to blast the neighbour aswell but unfortunately he's late 80s and has had many seizures and is on the way out so best to leave him alone where possible...

Anyways do any of you have any advice, like should I speak / report to council ?

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 77952
Look at this dodgy ass job, photo doesn't do it justice as I tried to smooth it out and clean it up as best I could before taking the snap. Pretty fucking pissed with a lump of concrete dumped in my yard.

The colorbond panel in the picture was leaning towards the plant in my side of the yard.
It was leaning because of the plants pressing against it on the other side, along with the panel being too high, wind factor etc.

Now the neighbour was keen to get it fixed, and told me a handy man would be coming to look at it today. He also asked if I could leave my car away from the front fence so the workers could gain access for inspection.

No quotes or other information was relayed to me. So I wake up at 10:30am (finished work at 3am) to go outside and find that this bullshit fucking job has been done without my consent!

I have had no consultation with any business regarding work on my property or neighbours. I intend to speak with my neighbour tomorrow and ask for all details, so I can call the "handyman" and blast the ****... Want to blast the neighbour aswell but unfortunately he's late 80s and has had many seizures and is on the way out so best to leave him alone where possible...

Anyways do any of you have any advice, like should I speak / report to council ?
Launch a complaint with Fair Trading department with more photos and the story in full including what outcome you expect. Bearing these departments will always want you to try and come to a solution with tradie so you must try this first. Only deal in writing. One question is this concrete supporting anything

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Launch a complaint with Fair Trading department with more photos and the story in full including what outcome you expect. Bearing these departments will always want you to try and come to a solution with tradie so you must try this first. Only deal in writing. One question is this concrete supporting anything
Will do. Concrete doesn't look to be supporting anything. It's against the timber support beams along the bottom of the fence panel. However they have always been straight, so the concrete around it seems pointless imo. Could be wrong, but even still why such a large dumped amount, If required they could have done a strip of concrete like a gutter

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do. Concrete doesn't look to be supporting anything. It's against the timber support beams along the bottom of the fence panel. However they have always been straight, so the concrete around it seems pointless imo. Could be wrong, but even still why such a large dumped amount, If required they could have done a strip of concrete like a gutter
Yeah exactly people just don't care.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm not an engineer but wouldn't a trench following the fence line (like house footings) be more effective?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not sure how you can call Fair Trading when you didn't commission the tradie (maybe I'm reading this wrong).

Now if you did or are paying for half (as its a dividing wall), then ok but if u didn't - sorry - gotta hassle the old guy. Cannot call FT for a tradie that didn't do any work for you.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how you can call Fair Trading when you didn't commission the tradie (maybe I'm reading this wrong).

Now if you did or are paying for half (as its a dividing wall), then ok but if u didn't - sorry - gotta hassle the old guy. Cannot call FT for a tradie that didn't do any work for you.
Yeah good might be a police issue if permission was not given

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah good might be a police issue if permission was not given
Cops r a bit harsh with the old guy. And sounds like with the car being moved etc thats a hard argument about permission.

Reckon you go talk to the old guy, tell him you'll call the tradie on his behalf (with his permission) and if you do and the tradie does fck all, photo time and hit every tradie review site you can (google, hi pages etc.) That'll get his attention.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll bet my left one your Elderly neighbour got duped and ripped off as well $$. These scum prey on the Vulnerable and Elderly. Ask for the alleged tradie details..then go Rambo on him through the proper pathways. No pun intended.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
WTF!

I would of drowned the **** in it.

Probably Fair Trading would be your best bet. Sorry I'm not much help but good luck with it bro and keep us updated.
Will do. I'm angry AF about it... Want to go all out, but I am slightly worried it'll become a major issue and I'll have to pay for part of the fence repair down the line as ATM thats coin I don't have

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm not an engineer but wouldn't a trench following the fence line (like house footings) be more effective?
There is a groove along the driveway further back, but water doesn't really flow down it from the front of the house as the drainage out there is blocked / fucked... Council issue not mine fortunately. But yeah it would have made sense to follow that line all the way down

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's several ways you can take it, but report it to the council first. You can also report it to police if you want as it's technically trespassing. But report it to the council first.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Very true, I'll be speaking to the neighbour and asking for a copy of invoice etc if he has one and go from there.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s nasty and it sucks to see what happened, hope it’s sorted quickly for you.

if you have to deal with the building ombudsman it’s going to take time especially if this “tradie” is one of those who does a half ass job and runs.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id get the tradies number and politley ask him to come and remove it.
Honestly its fucked but what else can you do

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
You could just pretend you commissioned it and then go to fair trading.
But maybe best to just call the Tessie and explain first and maybe he will be apologetic or fix.

If all else fails send Nasheed and inbox and I will get the Fubu shirt out, gold chains, teeth grill and my bandanna and pay him a visit

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I don’t know what you do apart from go through the correct legal bodies as people have said but I would break it up with a Hilti hammer drill (I can loan you one) and chuck it back over his fence. If he doesn’t like it he can lump it. Don’t do it again and I won’t have to chuck your rubbish back over your fence.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Onto the job, it doesn't look like there was any steele or reinforcement material laid prior to this. You see for concreting, it's usually a 2 days job. Day 1, prep - digging out the area and clearing it out etc. Day 2, laying the concrete. Whoever did this certainly didn't do the entire job, just the end bit. Find out the name of the company, call them up and complain that you're not paying, and demand they fix it or you'll threaten legal action.