Negative re-enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
On the contrary, if you're upfront with players about their service there's less chance of backstabbing , maybe there will even be some support.

The player is also compelled to do better because of their competitive nature. It's a winning situation
its a losing situation

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ummm no. You don't get both sides of the coin. You either act like a team or you don't. Look at the Cowboys arguing at eachother tonight and how that turned out. Fortitude is not born from acting like a bitch. You either all succeed or all fail together. One thing I will agree with though......the modern game is weak as piss.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what's worse is seeing a losing teams player laughing with their opposition at the end of the game like the loss doesn't hurt or mean anything. Back in the days players shook hands and left dejected if they lost.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No more match payments.. players get their paycheques regardless of the result.. so they just high five whether they score a try or knock it on

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been thinking about how soft the NRL is getting .

Back in the day when people made mistakes they weren't patted on the back and told it's OK They were yelled at.

I wasn't a footy fan back in the days of the dogs of war but I'd bet my house that there'd be none of that 'it's OK buddy ' if they were dropping the ball 2 metres from the try line.

I think Pay should encourage (or at least not discourage) players from giving others an earful when they continually stuff up.

What do you think?

Wolfy its funny to watch - how soft it is now.
Whatever happened to 'get the f... up' or the captain yelling 'what the f.... was that'.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ummm no. You don't get both sides of the coin. You either act like a team or you don't. Look at the Cowboys arguing at eachother tonight and how that turned out. Fortitude is not born from acting like a bitch. You either all succeed or all fail together. One thing I will agree with though......the modern game is weak as piss.
its a losing situation
maybe It has to come from the public not the players but the players make it worse by patting them on the back.

Do you recall the mysterious locker room guy in aug last year after we lost 20-4 to parra ?
yelling to Klemmer that "he's shit and can't offload?"

And then do you remember what Klemmer did in the very next game? Lol

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting point that ties in with this. When Des was at Manly he would go off his fucking nut in the stands when his team made mistakes or were playing poorly. Ripping his headphones off, yelling into the head set for a player to be told off by the runner or benching them, ripping doors off handles. At the Dogs he sat in the stand looking like he might nod off any minute. I always found this really strange. A leopard doesn't usually change it's spots that drastically. I've always wondered if it came from above him not to carry on like that.
Interesting point. I think it comes down to the fact he has genuine passion for Manly. With us it was just a job.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think what's worse is seeing a losing teams player laughing with their opposition at the end of the game like the loss doesn't hurt or mean anything. Back in the days players shook hands and left dejected if they lost.
Back in the old days they went into the winners dressing room and got on the beer together. Today they have so many commitments to media, rehab and the fans they spend a couple of minutes catching up on the field after a game. Good on them. That's the way footy is supposed to be played. You hate between the hooters and are mates around it.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
maybe It has to come from the public not the players but the players make it worse by patting them on the back.

Do you recall the mysterious locker room guy in aug last year after we lost 20-4 to parra ?
yelling to Klemmer that "he's shit and can't offload?"

And then do you remember what Klemmer did in the very next game? Lol
It can come from outside influences BUT we can't have them turning on eachother. 17 individuals will never win a trophy only a tight knit team can. I get what your saying for sure but the moment you see team mates arguing and fighting you know it's over,

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some players will respond to a verbaling and others won't. I reckon it's up to the captain to sort that out and dish it out if it's needed or gonna rev someone up the right way. Generally I think it's a bad vibe to see players openly bagging team mates on the field. Players were probably tougher on each other in the 80's and before, but even back then I don't remember many times when players bagged or openly got pissed at team mates during a game. There's no point dwelling on mistakes in the heat of battle.

Even though it seemed to work for Sticky in a sense (although not during a game), he's not going to manage his boys that way on an ongoing basis. It was a shock tactic that, fortunately for him, didn't backfire.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
OP, Youd hate to see the love Akuila Uate was getting today after his spills.

i kid you not, the timing of when I tuned in after one of them and thought Uate had scored a try.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It can come from outside influences BUT we can't have them turning on eachother. 17 individuals will never win a trophy only a tight knit team can. I get what your saying for sure but the moment you see team mates arguing and fighting you know it's over,
Graham would rip in.

Status
Not open for further replies.