Nathan Merritt charged for feet-first tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Nathan Merritt charged for feet-first tackle in Souths loss to the Eels

March 23, 2009

South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt faces a one-week suspension for his attempted feet-first tackle on Parramatta's Joel Reddy last Friday.

Merritt was handed a dangerous conduct charge by the NRL match review committee on Monday and faces a one-week ban with an early guilty plea, but two weeks if found guilty at the judiciary.

Merritt unsuccessfully tried to stop Reddy from scoring the match-winning try by lunging his feet at the winger.

He was cautioned for the incident but referees' boss Robert Finch admitted the whistleblowers should have awarded an eight-point try to the Eels.

Brisbane's Justin Hodges also faces a spell on the sidelines after he was charged with a grade one grapple tackle on Melbourne's Cameron Smith last Friday.

Hodges would ordinarily avoid a suspension with the low grade offence but due to his history and 33 carryover points he will miss one week unless he can successfully beat the charge.

Melbourne centre Willie Isa is in the same boat, facing a one week suspension for a low-grade grapple tackle because of his 73 carryover points, while Penrith's Gavin Copper copped a grade two grapple tackle charge but can reduce the ban to one week with an early guilty plea.

AAP

dirty mofo

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should have been sin binned and it should have been a penalty try.

U

Upskirt News

Nah he has nothing to worry about. If anything this is all Billy Slaters fault

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah he has nothing to worry about. If anything this is all Billy Slaters fault
It wasn't malicious, it was just really stupid and dangerous.

And like you said, because of what Slater was doing last year sliding feet first everywhere, the NRL has said it will crack down and suspensions will follow.

Thats why this was so stupid and it should have been a penalty try.

1 week suspension is fair I reckon. He can't complain.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Slater will be out for most of the season with suspensions I think, he pretty much invented the feet first slide.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes he can. This is the same guy that literally played the race card after not being selected for NSW.
Haha. True. How did I forget that?

He was like "It's because I'm Aboriginal...."

Everyone else was like: "Um, no... It's because you're nowhere near good enough"

U

Upskirt News

It wasn't malicious, it was just really stupid and dangerous.

And like you said, because of what Slater was doing last year sliding feet first everywhere, the NRL has said it will crack down and suspensions will follow.

Thats why this was so stupid and it should have been a penalty try.

1 week suspension is fair I reckon. He can't complain.
Another knee jerk reaction :(

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
wtf willie Isa already has 70 carrey over points lol. Didnt he debut like last week :p

Status
Not open for further replies.