My debut as an NRL video ref!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last Friday night was a pretty damn cool night. I was invited to join Tim Mander in the box for the Brisbane V Canterbury game. Tim asked me for my opinion on a few calls of which I will describe here...

* The first Brisbane try looked touch in goal at first look but was given BOTD after the second replay.

* Steve Clark wanted a penalty for the Phelps "push" but Tim and I decided that he was already falling the "push" was not as bad as it first looked. Hence the BOTD call.

* Tim told Clark to call out Shrek after his third penalty to remind him of where he could be going if he continued.

* If Clark had gone upstairs for the Corey Hughes rebound try it would have been given a green light as the ball was played at and Hughes hence was placed onside.

* The touch judge called "Hit the ball, hit the ball, hit the ball" when Hughes cleaned up that Brisbane player in the first half. He was put on report at the following scrum when we saw a replay.

Those are just a few things that came out of the night. It was a fantastic experience and gave me a good look into how it all works. I know one thing, the video ref does not have an easy job. It may seem simple from the outside but is a very in depth process.

At the end of the night I was given Steve Clark's on field jersey from the game signed by himself and the touch judges. Something that will look great when framed with my other memorabilai from the night.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Top post. Very interesting to hear! Sounds like you could be reffing NRL games soon enough??

What about this from smh.com.au on the Hughes no try though??

Corey Hughes was unfortunate not to secure victory for the Dogs earlier when he was disallowed a try with six minutes remaining, after an attempted field goal from Sherwin deflected off Petero Civoniceva and bounced into the hooker's arms. Hughes raced to the line but, with the law stating that deflected field goals still stand if they sail over, players in an offside position cannot make a play at the ball should the opposition charge it down.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top post. Very interesting to hear! Sounds like you could be reffing NRL games soon enough??

What about this from smh.com.au on the Hughes no try though??

Corey Hughes was unfortunate not to secure victory for the Dogs earlier when he was disallowed a try with six minutes remaining, after an attempted field goal from Sherwin deflected off Petero Civoniceva and bounced into the hooker's arms. Hughes raced to the line but, with the law stating that deflected field goals still stand if they sail over, players in an offside position cannot make a play at the ball should the opposition charge it down.
He was outside the ten metres which would have made it a try. Regardless if he did go upstairs Tim and I would have given try without thinking.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SOunds like you had an awesome time!!!

Tim Mander was a top ref.

K

kennyy

good stuff no wonder they take so long if they are asking others their opinions

da_doc

Waterboy
Reaction score
lol
everybody recon's the vid reffs make so many bad call's it would be good 2 see what regular joes come up with, great thread. mate

T

TdoggBulldog

sounds like a good experience, would be interesting to go up there and have a look at how it all goes..was it hard to not be bias being a dogs supporter? haha

hope you get to ref an nrl game in the near future :grinning:

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about stuff that doesn't get referred to video ref? Did mander comment on anything?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol did Mr Mander know you love the dogs and hate Brisbane?

H

Haztrick

Well done man. Sounds like a great experience! Hopefully we will see you in FG soon.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
that's awesome. your return to brisbane was good then? congratulations.

but i was just wondering, can't the video referee immediately make a call to the on ground referee on calls which are wrong, i.e. the ian lacey knock on, and the resulted penalty kick, so as to avoid wrong decisions etc?

Fanoftheyears

Kennel Established
Reaction score
that's awesome. your return to brisbane was good then? congratulations.

but i was just wondering, can't the video referee immediately make a call to the on ground referee on calls which are wrong, i.e. the ian lacey knock on, and the resulted penalty kick, so as to avoid wrong decisions etc?
i think they tried making that rule but the coaches disagreed to it but thats wat i heard not sure if it is true

D

D0ggyStylz

a push is a push. he may have been falling, but an extra push makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Sounds like you had a great experience though.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a good experience, would be interesting to go up there and have a look at how it all goes..was it hard to not be bias being a dogs supporter? haha
With the Phelps push my heart said penalty but my head said try. And yes, Tim knows I am a very passionate Dogs fan :grinning: Still when ur in the moment u kinda forget that u support the Dogs and you click into ref mode.

It is hard to rule on the game from play to play. I know the NRL don't like it looking scrappy ie: forward pass is missed then 3 passes later they call it up. Does that make sense?

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
awesome dude!

Now when people b!tch about refs, they can do it direct to you! :P

T

TdoggBulldog

With the Phelps push my heart said penalty but my head said try. And yes, Tim knows I am a very passionate Dogs fan :grinning: Still when ur in the moment u kinda forget that u support the Dogs and you click into ref mode.

It is hard to rule on the game from play to play. I know the NRL don't like it looking scrappy ie: forward pass is missed then 3 passes later they call it up. Does that make sense?
haha thats good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.