Move Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SharkieFan08

Why is it neccessary for the NRL to stage the State Of Origin series on Wednesday nights?

I think the NRL would be much better off learning a lesson from the AFL and hosting the State Of Origin game on the weekend, giving every NRL club the week off.

The Origin series costs teams badly every season, the Storm single handedly lost 2 competition points tonight due to it and it also warranted the Manly v Cowboys game a non event.

It makes much more sense to stage the Origin series on Saturday nights.

PRO'S:
* Club teams are not disrupted - no players miss any games.
* The games become more of a spectacle - people don't have to go to work the next morning and therefore have more latitude to have a few drinks and make a night of it with mates.
* Clubs get some mid-season respite with players not picked for Origin being able to use the week off to overcome niggling injuries etc.

CON'S:
* The season runs 3 weeks longer, boohoo.

Thoughts?

pha_t0ny

respect my authorotahhh!
Reaction score
its a gud thought, however having it on wednesday means better ratings

Junior DJ

Frank The Tank
Reaction score
they wont be changing it just for you buddy , and its going gangbusters at the moment , also the whole melbourne thing is a good thing , otherwise we'd have the same dominant teams winning week in week out ..

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wednesday works fine for me. Xtra special.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's tradition. I didn't hear too much complaint from anyone when the broncos had to almost field the QLD side. But now other teams are being affected, all of a sudden things need to be done. Leave it how it is. It also gets clubs to 'blood' young player during this time of year.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. However use those weekends as the byes & the season doesn't run much longer. No split rounds!

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
This is one of the reason a team will never go a season without losing a game again. Its also the reason teams who don't deserve to win a game do so. But its life i guess.

S

SharkieFan08

they wont be changing it just for you buddy , and its going gangbusters at the moment , also the whole melbourne thing is a good thing , otherwise we'd have the same dominant teams winning week in week out ..
Well if they are performing good enough to dominate then they should be allwoed to, its up to other teams to rise to the challenge, not for the good teams to be handicapped.

Plus what about teams that win the lottery by playing Storm etc at Origin time, 2 points that they wouldnt normally get could force another team around them out of the top 8.

Eg - Dragons beat Storm, get 2 points, then knock Bulldogs out of the finals by for and against, then you'd be whinging.

Idiot.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SharkieFan08 makes a fair point

It would be good to see teams playing with the best roster they can put forward.

Clubs shouldn't be punished for having their stars reach rep level.

On the other hand though, I like watching SOO on a Wednesday and wouldn't like to have a weekend without football.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a Good idea ...but the NRL is to wrapped up in revenue rasing and they wont do anything to upset CH 9...who loves the fact that they win the ratings that night ...
Otherwise ...get rid of club games for that week , no one is disaadvantaged ...
Wont happen though

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having Origin on wednesday never stopped the fans from going, so just leave it as it is.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It works fine as it is. Broncos are usually hit hard during origin but it gives young players a chance to play in first grade.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They tried it on a Sunday night in 2001 and it simply did not feel right for most ppl I know. There was nothing to do for the rest of the weekend and like the others say it works best as a mid week event.

Status
Not open for further replies.