Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moses Suli's Canterbury exit could open door for Marshall-King
Adrian Proszenko
28 February 2018 — 4:59pm

The release of Moses Suli from Canterbury less than a month after he arrived at Belmore has given another former Tiger, Jeremy Marshall-King, an opportunity to take the troubled teen’s spot in the top squad.

Suli, who made headlines after signing a rich $1.3 million contract at Wests Tigers before he had even played an NRL game, parted company with the joint-venture outfit due to attitude problems. It was hoped a change of scene would result in the precociously talented teenager knuckling down and fulfilling his undoubted potential.

However, the Bulldogs brought things to a head after issuing Suli with three warnings for incidents including turning up late to training, leaving early and skipping rehab sessions.

Suli’s departure has freed up a spot in Canterbury’s top-30 roster and the biggest beneficiary is Marshall-King. The younger brother of Benji Marshall also switched from Wests Tigers to the blue and whites during the off-season on a one-year contract. After impressing during the summer, it’s understood the hooking utility is close to finalising an upgraded, three-year deal that will catapult him into the selection frame for the season-opener against Melbourne in Perth.

Marshall-King made his NRL debut in the final game of last season and can provide cover from the bench for hooker and positions in the backline.

Suli, meanwhile, is at the crossroads. He had been commuting to training from Fairfield and there was a feeling he would benefit from moving closer to Belmore. The club helped to identify accommodation closer to his work, but the shift didn't have the desired effect.

Canterbury coach Dean Pay had taken Moses aside shortly after he arrived at Belmore as soon as it appeared he was slipping back into bad habits. But the Tongan three-quarter didn’t heed the advice and his career is again in the crossroads after being shown the door by two clubs within the space of a month.

“Ultimately, we’ve got a standard at this club. It doesn’t matter who you are, you have to meet it,” Hill said.

“It’s a united, committed group. Dean has made his standards clear and this is an example of needing to buy into what he and his staff have implemented.

“Moses came here for an opportunity and after a few weeks, it was clear this is something he didn’t want to do.”

It’s understood Suli still has ambitions to add to his 16-game NRL tally, but the latest setback will severely affect his asking price if he is given another lifeline.

Suli agreed that it was time to take a break and reflect on his future.

"I think that it is right for me and the Bulldogs that I take some time away from the game to re-assess what the future holds for me,” Suli said in a statement.

“I want to thank the Bulldogs for the opportunity that they have given me and I leave the club with no hard feelings whatsoever."

The Moses gamble won’t be a costly one for the Bulldogs. The-19 year-old was on a relatively low wage in the first season of his new three-year deal, meaning there won’t be any costly payouts.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Word is that jmk has won the #14 bench utility role for round one!
He looks better than Nu, dunno if he can cover any positions in the backline though?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looks better than Nu, dunno if he can cover any positions in the backline though?
He’d cover 7,9, and 13 with a a plomb
Hooker 20 mins for lichaa is what he’s there for btw

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prefer this Marshall than Suli anyways at least he isn't over weight and isn't lazy PLUS he is most likely on minimum wages with us! I hear Suli was sacked by us and agreed to take some time to reflect on what he wants to do, geez that lasted long, the papers just reported he signed with Manly, fast track mind this kid has, just a shame he couldn't be fast to training! Oh it's funny too he couldn't make it to training on time from Fairfield to Belmore BUT he thinks he can make it to Brookvale on time, PLEASE someone tell this kid Brookvale is on the Northern Suburbs and it's almost 10 times longer to get there from Fairfield and it's not 10mins up the road like Belmore was to Fairfield!
But good luck to him, I am sure he will last a few hours with Manly, just hope he gets to wear his new club colours and take it out of the plastic it comes in before he is sacked again lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He’d cover 7,9, and 13 with a a plomb
Hooker 20 mins for lichaa is what he’s there for btw
Not a fan of rotating hookers tbh, feels like a waste of interchange to me. Would also be more confident with a utility that could cover in the backs, we lose a centre and we're stuck with Elliott or Jackson there.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He played a decent amount of fullback in his junior years at Tigers.

I have a feeling this was a Warren McDonnell signing.
Centre is the spot where we need the cover imo. Hoppa can cover fullback and wing, but if he or Jmoz go down during a game then we're pushing Jackson or Elliott further out wide.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Centre is the spot where we need the cover imo. Hoppa can cover fullback and wing, but if he or Jmoz go down during a game then we're pushing Jackson or Elliott further out wide.
John Olive, Mason Cerruto, Reimis Smith, Jared Anderson, Kerrod Holland, Josh Bergamin, Tom Carr - can all cover centre position.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
John Olive, Mason Cerruto, Reimis Smith, Jared Anderson, Kerrod Holland, Josh Bergamin, Tom Carr - can all cover centre position.
I mean during a game.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a fan of rotating hookers tbh, feels like a waste of interchange to me. Would also be more confident with a utility that could cover in the backs, we lose a centre and we're stuck with Elliott or Jackson there.
Yep agree, rotating hookers is just stupid and a complete waste of an interchange. If your number 9 can't play 80 mins that they shouldn't be your number 9.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Min 75% of teams carry 2 hookers
What are u on about Marley
Have a centre on the bench, wow now I’ve heard it all.
If an injury happens then bad luck

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Min 75% of teams carry 2 hookers
What are u on about Marley
Have a centre on the bench, wow now I’ve heard it all.
If an injury happens then bad luck
I didn't say we should carry a centre, i said we need a utility that can cover the backs but primarily centre. Injuries aren't just "bad luck" anymore, HIA's happen to backs every weekend these days and they're forced off. We need to prepare for these situations because they're fat more common these days. I guess if Pay is happy with a backtower playing therr then so be it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep agree, rotating hookers is just stupid and a complete waste of an interchange. If your number 9 can't play 80 mins that they shouldn't be your number 9.
Yh i don't like it. You pretty much burn 6 changes rotating your middle forwards these days, so that only leaves you with 2. Do you then burn those 2 getting your starting hooker off and then on again? Do you finish the game with a weaker hooker and only make the change once? Or do you start with the weaker hooker and then bring on your stronger hooker? I just don't like it lol.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Word is that jmk has won the #14 bench utility role for round one!
Wow, hard work and a clean slate pays off. Who would of thought some bloke who was in the worst reserve grade squad would be even in the running for the utility spot. Good on him

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lets hope Marshall King takes this opportunity and makes a red hot go of it. In relation to Suli he has been offered a possible life line by MANLY according to news reports. Good fit if true a club under salary cap investigations and a player who does not appear to give a damn.

If he had transport difficulties living a few hundred metres from Belmore Sportsground best of luck in an area where public transport is up the creek

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/1768001be1f0c06aad57fecc0df12b6b

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"I think that it is right for me and the Bulldogs that I take some time away from the game to re-assess what the future holds for me,” Suli said in a statement.
Lol, took about 2 days off and is now ready to go again.
Wow, talk about spreading bullshit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.