Mortimer anoints Moses Mbye as club's new No.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury great Steve Mortimer, regarded by many as the club's greatest halfback, anointed Moses Mbye as the man to shine in his old No.7 jersey following Trent Hodkinson's departure to Newcastle.
The Gold Coast Titans, St George Illawarra Dragons and Melbourne Storm are understood to be chasing the talented 22-year-old after he made a huge impression during 2015. It was even reported the Queenslander, who was compared to Johnathan Thurston during his time in a Queensland underage team's camp, could command a deal worth $750,000 per season.
Hodkinson has left Belmore after representing NSW in six State of Origin matches but Mortimer said Mbye now had the chance to thrive and form a dynamic partnership with Josh Reynolds.

"Trent will be missed but I see a great opportunity for Moses Mbye to grow," he said.
"I can see Moses is a talent. I like his creativeness. He can kick and I like his maturity. I actually think Canterbury will be a touch more dangerous in attack with Mbye and Josh Reynolds together."
Mortimer relaunched shuffleboard - a game for everyone from six to 96 - during the week when the Greenacre Community Centre Goannas played the Bankstown City Aged Care Bulldogs ​in the Sydney south-west championship.

It's Mortimer's plan to get more shuffleboards into retirement villages and aged care homes around the country.
"It is a table game, like lawn bowls, but it's played with pucks and the jack is a trench at the end of the table," he said. "People in wheelchairs can play, as a matter of fact, it can be played by anyone from six and 96.
"Watching these people reminded me of my mum and dad and it just made me smile to see everyone enjoying themselves so much."
Terry Madden, the chief executive of Bankstown City Aged Care, said shuffleboard had provided many elderly people with a great activity that allows for interaction.
"It allows for them to engage, to be a part of a team," Madden said. "They bond together and rather than sitting around and doing nothing they're participating in what's a great interest for them."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bs-new-no7-20151120-gl49bu.html#ixzz3s6zZRy5G
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Reynolds and Mbye have only played a handful of games as the halves together. Mbye has played few games at 7. They are both young. Its too soon to write them off as our halves

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Oh look it's the weekly Mbye article....

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Reynolds and Mbye have only played a handful of games as the halves together. Mbye has played few games at 7. They are both young. Its too soon to write them off as our halves
Young? Reynolds is like 27

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Turvey is a smart businessman. Answers a few questions about the team and gets half an article written about his business.

I know Turvey likes to be everyone's friend but saying Moses has a good kicking game is ridiculous. I don't think Reynolds/Mbye will be our long term halves.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What choice do we have but to build up his confidence?
If he can only get better then what have we got to lose?

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
750,000 rupees maybe.

After exhibiting his dead average game control and decision making at the back end of the season, I think Moses' decision to hold off on signing a contract extension actually cost him money..

That being said, if he's willing to forget about coin for a season and really build on his game, he has all the characteristics that could make him a gun half. Just hope the media spin hasn't gone to his head!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd much rather see a Dane Chisholm (7) Moses Mbye (6) halves combination. With Reynolds I think it would be more of the same. Sideways running, kicking to the opposition on the full and brain explosions with stints on the side line. With that said I guess it's only a matter of time and Dane will get his shot.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
turvey just brought up this article to promote his business. Good free advertising for him not for the club as $750,000 is a real lot for an unproven half.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thought he was younger than that tbh, either way though, hes young enough. Even if reynolds is 27, these 2 could have 5 years as our halves, so after closer to 5 games as halves together Mbye and Reynolds shouldnt be written off yet imo. Thats my point. People here are notorious for their lack of patience. Mbye is just green, and Reynolds can play and was fine in the games he played in 2015, he just needs to stop getting suspended.

People here must at all times be hating on a player or 2 (or 5). There has never been a time in the kennel that i can remember where people in here were happy with every person in the team, and didnt want to sack anyone.

Reality check.....MBye and Reynolds will be our halves for years to come so y'all better start getting used to it. People bitched and moaned about Haz the last 3-4 years of his career but it didnt lead to change, he didnt leave till he retired.

I agree that MBye needs work, but i also believe Des knows that, and is capable of doing it.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought he was younger than that tbh, either way though, hes young enough. Even if reynolds is 27, these 2 could have 5 years as our halves, so after closer to 5 games as halves together Mbye and Reynolds shouldnt be written off yet imo. Thats my point. People here are notorious for their lack of patience. Mbye is just green, and Reynolds can play and was fine in the games he played in 2015, he just needs to stop getting suspended.

People here must at all times be hating on a player or 2 (or 5). There has never been a time in the kennel that i can remember where people in here were happy with every person in the team, and didnt want to sack anyone.

Reality check.....MBye and Reynolds will be our halves for years to come so y'all better start getting used to it. People bitched and moaned about Haz the last 3-4 years of his career but it didnt lead to change, he didnt leave till he retired.

I agree that MBye needs work, but i also believe Des knows that, and is capable of doing it.
I agree with all this - though (and I'm saying this as someone who enjoys how much heart he has) I'm just not sure Reynolds best position is starting 5/8

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Mbye hasn't proved anything why is he asking for so much money he should be on 300k max until he proves he can handle the presure

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye hasn't proved anything why is he asking for so much money he should be on 300k max until he proves he can handle the presure
Simple really because other teams are prepared to offer him more, could be another JT scenario in the making.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Simple really because other teams are prepared to offer him more, could be another JT scenario in the making.
I hope your right but at the moment he looks like just another player filling a spot

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow, I just looked it up,
You are right, he will be 27 next April,

I thought he was only about 24 or 25,

He really has to start to step up if you ask me,
Can't keep thinking he will improve once he matures and has a few years under his belt, cause he is at a stage where he should be at his best,

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
and the mybe debate starts all over again, another nothing article about a player who has yet to prove himself

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thurston never got a chance to prove himself like mbye will. Mbyes got a full season as the starting 7.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's happening with his contract situation?

Has he signed on with us yet or still playing the market game?

Status
Not open for further replies.