Morris twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it sounds like the "Mad Professor Strikes Again" stuff and honestly it won't be the answer to all the Bulldogs problems. But there are a couple of reasons I'd give it a go.

With the usual team format Hasler keeps rolling out every week I think we will be lucky to win another game. So Montoya? I really like him as a winger. He's big, fast, strong, good under the high ball and shows nous when he gets us out of trouble hitting it up or getting it off the side line. Its true he's a rookie but as I don't think the Bulldogs have got much future in the 2017 comp I'd like to try him out now while we've got eight games to play. If he goes well we leave him there. If he cocks it up its back to the wing.

Brett Morris at his best was bloody brilliant. But now although he handles left wing pretty well I think he is too fragile to be put under the rigours of being our full time fullback. Josh Morris stuffed up his knee big time in 2014 and over the time since then has sorted the problem to a certain extent but not fully; he runs hard in a straight line but his swerve and step are gone. Both of these guys will be 31 yo at the end of this season and I think at their use by date. I said before that I'd like Montoya at fullback so that leaves Hopoate wanting a position. I think he was originally bought as a centre so I'd put him at left centre in JMoz's spot. WE also bought Richie Kennar a centre/winger from Melbourne. I'd like to see him in first grade now to find out whether or not he's a success or a dud. We're never going to find out how good he is while he is in the ISP.

So basically that's it. I honestly think the Mozzles will have had it by the end of this season. And as we're really going nowhere in this year's comp why not try out a few things now to see if they will be viable options for next year. And all it is:

Montoya? How will he go at fullback
Hopoate? Will he be a class centre
Kennar? Will he be good value or a dud?

Next year's buys? Aaron Woods will be a good value front rower adding a lot of grunt and fair bit of mongrel that's missing. Kieran Foran a great five eighth in his day but now coming with an unknown headspace and a buggered hamstring.
I hear what your saying, but i just dont think Jmoz and Bmoz are our problems. They are simply suffering from the same issues as all of our othe players, we dont have good halves or a hooker. So replacing them with the best winger and centre in the comp wont really change anything. But add a quality half and hooker and they will both imorove out of sight.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe both of them try, but like josh renoylds,the trying part isn't the problem it's the skills.

I don't believe j Morris purposely hogs the ball from his brother he just doesn't know how to pass at all, it's not in his game.

If moving Brett along means in comes holland then I'm happy with Bret until his 45.

I really believe a player like Rona outside a classy centre would look like magic
Difference with the Morris twins and Reynolds though, and that sense, is daylight.

I love J-Ren. I love his heart, I love his passion. You put his attitude into the body of a Willie Mason, and you would have front rower of the year, every year. But what he severely lacks in games is the mental aptitude to compete with a level head, and most importantly, skill (like you said). I just wouldn't necessarily bucket the Moz boys in their, given how hard they play.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
The issue is that the team is not performing as a whole. I think that the players on higher salaries either stand up and prove their worth or we see if another team will take them at atleast 80% salary cap value.

If these players are not making an effectual difference then they shouldnt be on that type of $$

I agree the Moz bros have been outstanding in defense. But with our lacklusture attack you cant even justify having those players in centre or wing on over half a million. We just have no idea how to utilize them properly.

Mansour, Rapana and DWalker would be the only players I would justify on half a million in our current setup atm. All capable of getting our sets off to a real good start and create something out of nothing..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Because of our shitty attack style and lack of a hooker, they often get the ball flat footed so cant do much. They are still fast and can score tries (bmoz is our top tryscorer) but they lack opportunities. Thank Des for that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was rumoured that B-moz signed for 500k. But rumour isn't fact so its a bit wrong to judge their value on rumoured pay packets. I'd assume both twins are earning good coin, but I think they're both able to do things that other players can't considering the lack of good ball they get. Generally speaking when the ball heads their way the defense knows its thing to be sent out there in hot potato fashion, so they can usually just slide out to cover the attack. Josh still has the ability to turn the play back towards the centre of the field which is how he scores most of his tries, and Brett is still a genuine speedster who has good footwork. Considering that we could replace them with less gifted players I'd prefer that they don't get palmed off to another club.

If we knew our halves were going to fire next year it might be a different scenario, but the twins are among the few players who aren't just good finished some. They're generally able to get things happening on their own.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because of our shitty attack style and lack of a hooker, they often get the ball flat footed so cant do much. They are still fast and can score tries (bmoz is our top tryscorer) but they lack opportunities. Thank Des for that.
EXACTLY

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear what your saying, but i just dont think Jmoz and Bmoz are our problems. They are simply suffering from the same issues as all of our othe players, we dont have good halves or a hooker. So replacing them with the best winger and centre in the comp wont really change anything. But add a quality half and hooker and they will both imorove out of sight.
EXACTLY this... can't tell me the Morris boys arent fed up with getting the pill with no space. I don't get the negativity towards them. FFS Josh is top try scorer for dogs this year 7 in total and Brett is playing SOO. Both would have scored more with a decent 9 and coach that hadn't lost the plot

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Get rid of the Morris brothers and hasler will again start looking for backs who are playing, At most, reserve grade

He won't replace them with first graders

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
EXACTLY this... can't tell me the Morris boys arent fed up with getting the pill with no space. I don't get the negativity towards them. FFS Josh is top try scorer for dogs this year 7 in total and Brett is playing SOO. Both would have scored more with a decent 9 and coach that hadn't lost the plot
Sigh got my mozzes back to front for top try scorer. I knew it was one of them lol. And yeh i agree with the above

ibby

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No no klemmer dosnt play better are rep level it's just that he plays under different coaching throw our coach away and u watch him run are ball

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Problem being des does want a competitive side nxt yr can't sell em all

Status
Not open for further replies.