Montoya v Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
OK, time to admit I was wrong. Montoya today really stamped himself as a strong winger. He showed pace I haven't seen before, some of his defence was almost Haz like in its timing and he ran strongly all game. He was rightly rewarded with a try at the end. He is now in my view streets ahead of Holland who I would think from here on in will only ever be a FG fill in, which is OK. He's safe but in comparison with the effort of Montoya today, pedestrian.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, time to admit I was wrong. Montoya today really stamped himself as a strong winger. He showed pace I haven't seen before, some of his defence was almost Haz like in its timing and he ran strongly all game. He was rightly rewarded with a try at the end. He is now in my view streets ahead of Holland who I would think from here on in will only ever be a FG fill in, which is OK. He's safe but in comparison with the effort of Montoya today, pedestrian.
I think it just took him time to get used to first grade. He really showed great intent when running the football back and was good defensively also. A future FG fullback I'd say

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Montoya shouldn't ever be playing anything else besides NRL again.
Have to agree, based on todays effort. He was almost the equal of BMoz today and he all but made a line break today that would've given him another try. It was very impressive watching him off the ball as well. Full credit to him. He is only going to get better.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have to agree, based on todays effort. He was almost the equal of BMoz today and he all but made a line break today that would've given him another try. It was very impressive watching him off the ball as well. Full credit to him. He is only going to get better.
He's one of those players where you just sense something's going to happen. He's only played a few games but he would be one of the best players in the air.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Mate he has played that good in almost every game he has played, where as holland has showed nothing since last year. I was surprised you put them on the same level.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a must. Local junior also, loves the club.. I think he could be pretty special. Love watching him play, actually get excited when he has the ball..

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wait what? You actually thought Holland was a better winger at one point?

Holland is slow, lacks skill and cannot defend.

All he offers is goal kicking.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate he has played that good in almost every game he has played, where as holland has showed nothing since last year. I was surprised you put them on the same level.
Not sure about that. I thought today Montoya stood up and staked a claim to be a permanent winger in our team. He's done some good things and some ordinary things in previous weeks but today he showed speed for the first time in FG and was impressive. I just thought that prior to this game he hadn't done that and so was really not that different to Holland. Today he showed me at least that he is a grade above and good on him.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's so nice to know we don't have midget wingers anymore who get exposed by a single kick to the corner. Montoya has taken some difficult contested balls already and looks so safe. Abbey could learn a thing or two from Montoya about taking your chance when promoted to FG

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait what? You actually thought Holland was a better winger at one point?

Holland is slow, lacks skill and cannot defend.

All he offers is goal kicking.
No I didn't think he was better I just held the view that he wasn't showing anything more than Holland was and Holland was kicking goals. I agreed with everyone that on potential no doubt Montoya was better but until today he really hadn't made a line break where he showed speed. Today he did.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I apreciate when people acknowledge their mistakes in regards to player judgement. Good on you. Lol
MMontoya has shown way more in every game then holland has though in my opinion.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really impressed so far with the very limited amount I've seen of Montoya.

Begs the question now that if we have re-signed Holland will he be back in the team. If not could be salary cap money burned. Hoping we have Montoya already locked in and not off contract. Anyone know the situation there?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really impressed so far with the very limited amount I've seen of Montoya.

Begs the question now that if we have re-signed Holland will he be back in the team. If not could be salary cap money burned. Hoping we have Montoya already locked in and not off contract. Anyone know the situation there?
Montoya just resigned 3 years

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good thing Des kept dropping him for Holland.

Thankfully he finally picked Montoya again, who has been impressive all season and should never have been dropped.

Today was his best game in first grade and for me he and Adam Elliot were the only positives to come out of the game today as it's about time some juniors got given a chance.

Now just drop kasiano and Eastwood while you're at it!

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wait did people actually want holland over Montoya? Wtf lol

Status
Not open for further replies.