Missing out on the top 8 will not be a failure

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pay can be successful as a Meninga-esque style man manager. In fact the players’ clear respect for him already indicates he is doing well in that respect. Unless he “loses the dressing room”, then the club should be looking very closely at the coaching staff around him.
I agree with that and have previously said I think he would make a good rep coach, but I don't think he has the depth to coach at NRL level.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club has had an indifferent history over the last few years. The cause of that indifference has now departed.
The club has had to rebuild slowly due to salary cap pressure. But they have recruited very well.
There is a need for a good strike centre, but sadly there has been none available. The team is apparently the most cohesive it has been for years.
That's largely due to the respect the players have for the coach. Pay was a very effective coach in the past. He has a lot of success.
He had problems with his dealings with Stuart. He was the fix-it person who had to continually mend the fences. This held him back.
He now has his own squad. Its not complete as yet, but it is looking good. I can see a top 6 finish next season.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree with that and have previously said I think he would make a good rep coach, but I don't think he has the depth to coach at NRL level.
We’ll see how we go. Pay might not come across as a professor, but he was a very smart and skilful player for a forward and I don’t think his nous and instincts should be underestimated.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
On paper we look ordinary so Pay will be looking at making names, I think our dark horses will be our wingers in Smith and Crichten, if Foran and Lewis see the year out top 8 for sure.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Every team aims for the top 8 and it's up to the players to achieve it if they don't then it will be considered a failure. It doesn't matter what players a team has they go out and try to achieve a top eight finish as long as they try there best that's all we ask .

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, I think we will surprise a lot of critics this year and go close to making the top 8.
Depth in key positions is our biggest challenge this year, as well as sorting out our Dummy half situation which I believe is our biggest flaw.
If fit I think that 1. Meaney - 6. Lewis & 7. Foran will perform better than most are giving credit too, 9. lets us down.

So, in all I believe that finishing in the Top 10 will be a pass considering we are spoon favourites.

My prediction is we finish equal 8th on points or 1 win behind.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We only just missed out on the 8 this year with:
a) Mbye who didn't want to be here.
b) Woods who was a disruption.
c) Morris brothers who were showing their age.
d) Eastwood who was hit and miss.
e) Foran who broke down early.
f) A late resurgence when Martin, Smith, Lewis and Holland came to first grade and started clicking.
g) Losing several games in close circumstances.

Klemmer only put in when he felt like doing so, so a fully committed Sue/Napa/Fualalo can fill the void Klemmer held.

Add in players like Meaney, Crichton, CHN, and a fully fit RFM, and we actually look BETTER than last year (if we can keep our players on the field).

There's no excuse not to finish real close to the lower 8, and if the team performs, no reason we can't end up 5th to 8th.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Pay can be successful as a Meninga-esque style man manager. In fact the players’ clear respect for him already indicates he is doing well in that respect. Unless he “loses the dressing room”, then the club should be looking very closely at the coaching staff around him.
That's one thing Hasler lost - the dressing room. I'll never forget that spray he gave Tony Williams in our game in 2016. I don't know how mullet head possibly thought that spray was doing anyone any good. I mean I know Williams is a LOL player, but FFS the effect that would've had on the rest of the team was not good.

Wahesh

Reaction score
We only just missed out on the 8 this year with:
a) Mbye who didn't want to be here.
b) Woods who was a disruption.
c) Morris brothers who were showing their age.
d) Eastwood who was hit and miss.
e) Foran who broke down early.
f) A late resurgence when Martin, Smith, Lewis and Holland came to first grade and started clicking.
g) Losing several games in close circumstances.

Klemmer only put in when he felt like doing so, so a fully committed Sue/Napa/Fualalo can fill the void Klemmer held.

Add in players like Meaney, Crichton, CHN, and a fully fit RFM, and we actually look BETTER than last year (if we can keep our players on the field).

There's no excuse not to finish real close to the lower 8, and if the team performs, no reason we can't end up 5th to 8th.
Well from 2019 I'm expecting minor improvements to those close games we lost in 2018 but not miracles. I pretty much want our youngsters blooded and given more game time, and that way experience will be ripe around the park in 2020.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Klemmer best prop in the world......................Nah he is to stagnated. I would prefer Ryan James over Klemmer. You could get two props like Siosiua Taukeiaho and John Asiata for the price of Klemmer. Missing out on the top 8 will not be a fail, Excellent mind set for a loser culture. With that type of shit we will become Parra.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We’ll see how we go. Pay might not come across as a professor, but he was a very smart and skilful player for a forward and I don’t think his nous and instincts should be underestimated.
And what Pay did as a player may not translate to coaching. Across so many sports have we seen such gifted players fail to make a mark in coaching.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Klemmer best prop in the world......................Nah he is to stagnated. I would prefer Ryan James over Klemmer. You could get two props like Siosiua Taukeiaho and John Asiata for the price of Klemmer. Missing out on the top 8 will not be a fail, Excellent mind set for a loser culture. With that type of shit we will become Parra.
Excuse me, in an ordinary year I would agree with you, however in a post-Hasler era where our salary cap is fucked, you need to make an exception. It's referred to as a building phase.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It can't be underestimated how important it is to be starting the season off with Lewis... It must have been soul crushing as a forward to know that all your hard work is going to result in a turn over/ having to constantly defend because the spine can't produce either points or repeat sets

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had the worst nrl roster last year by far and we still avoided the spoon with him, give him a break you’ve hated him since he came. Reserve judgment till mid year, anything higher than this year is an improvement, if we don’t attract any big names for 2020 then maybe we look at a new coach.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one thing Hasler lost - the dressing room. I'll never forget that spray he gave Tony Williams in our game in 2016. I don't know how mullet head possibly thought that spray was doing anyone any good. I mean I know Williams is a LOL player, but FFS the effect that would've had on the rest of the team was not good.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I have hopes we can make the 8, but let’s be honest, there are still some holes in our roster. I won’t come down hard onnthe tesm if we miss the 8.... I think those that will are either unrealistic, or have an anti Pay agenda.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We had the worst nrl roster last year by far and we still avoided the spoon with him, give him a break you’ve hated him since he came. Reserve judgment till mid year, anything higher than this year is an improvement, if we don’t attract any big names for 2020 then maybe we look at a new coach.
His contract expires this season. And I don't hate him, I just don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be our coach and some of his decisions have been ridiculous at times.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His contract expires this season. And I don't hate him, I just don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be our coach and some of his decisions have been ridiculous at times.
Not having a dig at you but have you ever made a positive comment? I’m really just curious.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am shocked that people on this forum actually expect us to make the 8 with the squad we have. We are fielding the worst spine i can remember us fielding for quite some time,a weak back-line and an ok forward pack. Nothing the club can do about it for now, things will get better though as our hasler salary cap mess slowly unwinds and we can get back in the player market.
I got more faith in our 2019 spine than I had in the Mbye and Reynolds spine.