MICHAEL MAGUIRE NOT RIGHT COACH FOR BULLDOGS, SAY WILLIE MASON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Daily Telegraph
September 21,
WILLIE Mason has warned Canterbury against hiring axed South Sydney coach Michael Maguire to replace Des Hasler, or else risk finding themselves in the same hole again.

Bulldogs boss Ray Dib is yet to open discussions with any potential candidates for the job, but Maguire is understood to be an option along with Dean Pay, Jim Dymock and Todd Payten.

Mason has never played under Maguire, but the Bulldogs legend has grown wary of outsiders taking the reigns of the club after Hasler’s six-year stint ended in tears on Tuesday.

Hasler was the first man to coach the Bulldogs without having played for the club since Warren Ryan in the 1980s, a concern previously raised by the likes of Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer.

And Mason hoped the board had learned a lesson from his tenure. “Surely they can’t bring Maguire in — he’s the same as Des,” Mason told Skipi TV.

CONTRACT: How Des deal could cost dear

COACH: Pay ready to come home

Michael Maguire is not right for the Bulldogs, says Willie Mason. Pic by Craig Wilson Willie Mason
“He can come in, build a culture real good and then get them to a semi-final, grand final or whatever then he‘s out.

“But it wouldn’t be the Bulldogs culture that the fans want, the players want or the ex-players want.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with the club. All I know is it’s the wrong culture at the moment and something needs to be done.” Mason won the Clive Churchill Medal in Canterbury’s 2004 grand final victory, but revealed earlier this year he was put off ending his career where it all began after he met with Hasler, ahead of the 2016 season.

And he said the right decision had been made to axe the two-time premiership winning coach “The writing was on the wall for Des all year,” Mason said.

"I get along well with Des, he’s a great bloke, great coach, but I just don’t think he is the right fit for the Bulldogs.” Meanwhile fellow former Bulldogs forward Reni Maitua said Hasler had to pay the price for the club’s current salary cap position.

Sacked coach Michael Maguire. Picture. Phil Hillyard
The Bulldogs have already released captain James Graham to St George Illawarra, but could still need to shed more stars to fit under next year’s proposed cap, “It’s accountability,” Maitua said.

“It’s created a huge mess that someone needed to go.

I think Des is the CEO, board and coach of that club. Everything goes through him, and he’s fallen on his sword.” Maitua returned to the Bulldogs under Hasler in 2014, and has been vocal in his criticism of Hasler’s culture at the club in the past.

“He’s one of those hit-and-run coaches,” he said.

“The longevity of Des Hasler at that club wasn’t going to fit.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to see ex players come out and back the club. The more the better.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Belmore will be burnt down if Maguire is signed

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest he is just trying to cash in on the media craze at the moment. He did say in the clip he is a cowboys man (even though he was probably joking about it or because of Thurston)

But if anything I would have him as a media slut. For me I have more respect for Reni. Firstly because he had been back at the club recently and he doesn't have a bad word to say about us. Since Willie left he slagged the fans and the club numourus times. Reni on the other hand actually said he is a bulldogs man through and through and even tried to defend the club and the player (in particular tolman and graham).

For mine Maitua is a true club champion that lost his way. Mason is a money hungry and media hungry prick that has gone and come as he chose (when it was in his interest).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Willie loves shooting his mouth off... that's the problem I have with him.

He now comes across as arrogant and a know it all.

Unlike players that have become CEOs, BDMs, experts in construction and finance, to date Willie has done nothing past his NRL career.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So reni and mase go on skippy tv and then some telegraph havk just quotes everything they say and makes it their story. What exactly doea a journalist do these days? I could have done this!!

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Willie loves shooting his mouth off... that's the problem I have with him.

He now comes across as arrogant and a know it all.

Unlike players that have become CEOs, BDMs, experts in construction and finance, to date Willie has done nothing past his NRL career.
You know what, I didn't like the way Mason left for Roosters and I don't know all the details why he ended up at the rotting cocks.
What I do know though is he is one of the players who took a pay cut in 2003 after the 2002 salary cap scandal so the team can stay together and have a crack at winning the comp, something we achieved in 2004 , with Mason there.
That alone is worth a shit load more than what Hasler has produced for the club in his 6 year reign. As for the arrogance , Mason has not shown even half of the arrogance Hasler has displayed in the way he went about rooting our club, from player retention, playing style and salary cap management.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look I think mason and reni always loved the dogs that's evident even as ex players who had numerous other clubs they care what's going on at the blue and whites cause they learned there craft there and I think getting them players back in behind the scenes will help educating the new wave of players who in all honest wouldn't know most of the greats from our club ok mason is a mouth and what ever but if he loves the club blokes like him and matua should be passing on the knowledge like the bloke they were saying rammed the culture into them or better still get him back in the fold and Larry Britton too worked in the past when every other supporter hated the bulldogs cause they secretly wanted the same set up at there clubs the family club loyalty hard work mentality

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
why the fark is todd paytens name being mentioned anywhere???

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You know what, I didn't like the way Mason left for Roosters and I don't know all the details why he ended up at the rotting cocks.
What I do know though is he is one of the players who took a pay cut in 2003 after the 2002 salary cap scandal so the team can stay together and have a crack at winning the comp, something we achieved in 2004 , with Mason there.
That alone is worth a shit load more than what Hasler has produced for the club in his 6 year reign. As for the arrogance , Mason has not shown even half of the arrogance Hasler has displayed in the way he went about rooting our club, from player retention, playing style and salary cap management.
Absolutely agree, not only did Big Willie take a pay cut to keep the core team together who went onto winning a grand final, but he single handedly stood up to a fierce Roosters pack and took the lead that night which set up our win and gifted him the Clive Churchill.
He loves this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.