18. Hep Cahill

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
exact same team that played Canberra last night

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Slater is their most dangerous player lately...

Inglis has been pretty MIA this season

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They've got Strength all around the park

Will be harder than last weeks game tbh

They haven't hit their peak yet and neither have we, should be a good game if we can bring it out in each other

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
to see the way how slater carved up in the middle... i just hope that both stagg and ennis will be on song to stop slater runing through the middle...

and inglis is dangerous running out wide when playing in teh centres

Finch... well LOL Finch

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our kick chases were shocking last week and Boyd and Morris carved us up on returns.

We couldn't afford to be that sloppy against those two and we certainly can't afford to be so poor on kick chases with Slater at the back.

They have a very strong, workmanlike pack and we can't give Inglis any room. If we give up quick play the balls Smith will eat us alive and Cronk will have too much time.

Also, we did a poor job of wrapping up the ball against Saints and preventing offloads. That needs to be corrected so that Slater, Inglis etc don't get ball against a tired and susceptible defence.

MPS

I'm Old Gregg
Reaction score
The trick to beating Slater is don't kick the ball to him. Keep the kicks to the flanks & try to isolate the infield running of the wingers to link up with Slater.

Slater is only dangerous coming at a poorly gathered defense, otherwise he can be nullified.

Let the inexperienced Tomane run at Idris all night.

I am not overly concerned about their backline, it is the forwards that are starting to hit their straps. We need to move away from one-out running & employ a short-passing game that the likes of Ryan, Stagg & Eastwood do so well.

The Storm are gaining momentum. I would love to see the Dogs knock them back on their arses.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
MPS, the Titans used that tactic (kicking it dead so Slater couldn't run it back) to great effect as the Storm aren't too adventurous when they aren't in broekn play as you said.

That should be a tactic we look into IMO.

It isn't the most sporting thing to do, but it is within the rules and smart tactically.

Especially considering how bad our kick chase was against Saints.

MPS

I'm Old Gregg
Reaction score
MPS, the Titans used that tactic (kicking it dead so Slater couldn't run it back) to great effect as the Storm aren't too adventurous when they aren't in broekn play as you said.

That should be a tactic we look into IMO.

It isn't the most sporting thing to do, but it is within the rules and smart tactically.

Especially considering how bad our kick chase was against Saints.
Spot on.

If Holdsworth is on target (if he is indeed playing for Roberst), he has the ability to make some great yards off the boot.

The other option is to put a lot of traffic at Chambers, as I think he gives away crucial penalties (I don't have stats).

We need to bustle the forwards & place pressure on Smith, as Finch doesn't offer them much at the moment. I think we should play them out of the middle third, and take away their advantage given to them by their forwards.

Christabella

Reaction score
Our kick chases were shocking last week and Boyd and Morris carved us up on returns.

We couldn't afford to be that sloppy against those two and we certainly can't afford to be so poor on kick chases with Slater at the back.

They have a very strong, workmanlike pack and we can't give Inglis any room. If we give up quick play the balls Smith will eat us alive and Cronk will have too much time.

Also, we did a poor job of wrapping up the ball against Saints and preventing offloads. That needs to be corrected so that Slater, Inglis etc don't get ball against a tired and susceptible defence.
I must agree with every word Ben.
The comeback and the controversial end to last week match glossed over the fact that we were damn awful for long periods of that game and were helped greatly by the ineptitude of the Dragons attack.

Now until last night I would have thought we would have more than enough points in us to match it with the Storm as they had been struggling just as much as St George in that department but the addition of Brett Finch is going to be some cause for concern. Regardless of what people think of him from his past exploits, he has settled in there nicely and has taken a lot of pressure off Cronk, Smith and Inglis ... along with Slater lurking behind in support that's five players we have got to shut down if we are to win and I just hope our defence is up to the task. We have got to dominate nearly every tackle because it doesn't take much for them to get on a roll.

If the Storm back up and play that well next Saturday then we are going to have to put in our best performance of the year to come out ahead. We certainly can't afford to give them the kind of leads we've been giving up because a 14 point deficit against an in form Storm is pretty much the match.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
News Ltd Chance of Rain's performance looked better then it actually was. Oakland Raiders were total shthouse at very best.

Our defence can and will hold them.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Since Finch has come into the team they have really switched on. Can you imagine Fitzy's luck. Parra who let him go may get the wooden spoon, while Melbourne are still in the hunt for the premiership

Christabella

Reaction score
as Finch doesn't offer them much at the moment. .
He is offering them the space to move, which is something they lacked in the opening few matches.
I've watched their games since he has come into the side and Cronk has appeared to have more time with his options.

Also Inglis has been able to play his natural game as a runner rather than a playmaker.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
good side, but there is no reason as to why we cant beat melbourne.

we have the players to do so, we wont win by heaps but we can win this game

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Christabella you raise alot fo good points.

Our defence has been great all year for 99% of every game.

Execpt for one play two or so times a game where we concede the softest tries you can see in Rugby League.

We have done that about 10 times this season and did it again twice against Saints.

Like I said, our defence has been very good for the most part. The determination and way everyone works for each other escpecially.

But for some reason we continue to drop off for one split second in games and concede soft tries. Hopefully that is something we get out of our game.

MPS

I'm Old Gregg
Reaction score
He is offering them the space to move, which is something they lacked in the opening few matches.
I've watched their games since he has come into the side and Cronk has appeared to have more time with his options.

Also Inglis has been able to play his natural game as a runner rather than a playmaker.
That's fair enough, but I saw it as lift in team performance. What I have seen of Finch play, I think he appears to be a distributor, not a play maker.

If it is Idris v Inglis, that will be a sight to see......

Status
Not open for further replies.