Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith calls for video referral system

Steve Ricketts
March 21, 2009

Melbourne Storm skipper Cameron Smith called for a referral system like the one used in Test cricket after a controversial try to Brisbane Broncos half-back Peter Wallace helped Brisbane to a gutsy 16-14 victory at Suncorp Stadium.

Broncos hooker Aaron Gorrell appeared to knock on at dummy-half before Wallace scored in the 44th minute to give Brisbane a 16-8 lead after the score was 10-8 at half-time.

Smith said he asked referees Ben Cummins and Tony De Las Heras why between them they could not pick up the knock-on.

"In the trials I wasn't really convinced two referees were good for our game and last week I thought they gave a good performance down in Melbourne," Smith said.

"This week I think it shifted me back over the other side of the fence.

"All the players and clubs were told the two refs were going to help the game, we weren't going to have to use so much technology, they were going to pick up everything.

"I think tonight they let a couple of things through the net.

"I think a referral system like cricket's is a good idea, but it's hard to know whether that's one of the things we should do while we've got two refs out there to try to take that technology out of it and make it a better game for the fans."

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said he had no doubt Gorrell was guilty of a blatant knock-on.

"We have two referees out there and you would think one of them would see it," Bellamy said.

"It's disappointing for my players to be beaten by two points after that incident.

"We all make mistakes and I've got no problems with neither of them seeing it.

"But I can't believe they didn't go to the video ref."

Storm's New South Wales Origin winger Anthony Quinn was put on report for the use of the forearm while in possession, with Broncos forward Sam Thaiday left prone on the ground after an incident in the 15th minute.

Thaiday retired to the dressing-room for 11 minutes and was concussed after the game.

But Smith, who was on the receiving end of a grapple tackle from Justin Hodges in the 55th minute, said Quinn had merely taken the ball up like most front-rowers do in the ruck and if Thaiday had not stayed down he doubted if a penalty would have been given.

But Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer denied Thaiday had stayed down to milk a penalty.

Melbourne full-back Billy Slater and lock Dallas Johnson both finished with hip injuries and Bellamy agreed five-eighth Greg Inglis was not at his best after battling knee and shoulder injuries all week.

Smith moved to five-eighth in the second half, with Ryan Hinchcliffe at hooker, and Bellamy said the attack seemed to work more smoothly as a result of the switch.

Bellamy said his side might have become complacent after Slater scored a soft try in the second half but in the end he was proud of the way his players defended.

He also praised the new-look Broncos.

"They looked out on their feet in the second half but they kept fighting and kept turning up.

"They did a great job," he said.

"We threw a lot at them but just couldn't get over the line."

lol whinge whinge whinge

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Boo ****ing hoo Smith, you like the refs when you win and complain about them when you dont. ****ing grow up

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
shut up smith.

Thats the way the game goes.

Better the ref makes a call on field (right or wrong) we doent waiste 10mins, everyone forgets about it shortly after

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
eat a d!ck hairy boy. Refs make mistakes all the time live with it. sucko to the storm bwahahahaha!

M

Mr Miyagi

Storm got robbed badly, how was the knock on by gorrell let go.
Rigged games turn me off our great game

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score
biggest sook in league ..

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lol stfu storm...

every team gets bad calls against them, don't see you spouting this nonsense when **** goes against other teams

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
you can understand their frustration cause was so blatantly obvious but i'm sure they'll have some good luck as well so no point in havin a sook

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Listen, I HATE the Storm with a passion, BUT... he has a point. His team was badly robbed. If it happened to the Bulldogs and one of our players spoke out, you'd ALL agree, so everyone here should put themselves in his shoes.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
The Mexican Scums are worse sooks than the Broncos ever were...Unfortunately, those Scums are in town next weekend - along with their arrogant supporters.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They still had ample opportunity to win and that decision, as bad as it was, did not cost them the game.

They still missed three tackles after Gorrell knocked the ball on to let Wallace score and the Storm dropped the ball or missed out on a tonne of opportuinites to win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.