Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Man usually you're pretty spot on but this was seriously a nothing tackle. Honestly, you could probably find at least 5 tackles this weekend that were worse, and didn't even get penalised.

I don't think it's fair to charge him on the outcome of the tackle. If anything it deserves a week.
My point is why put hands between legs? Why couldn't he wrap his arms around thw thighs which is clearly legal now even with the new rules?

That answers you too Raysie.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is why put hands between legs? Why couldn't he wrap his arms around thw thighs which is clearly legal now even with the new rules?

Yea i get what you're saying, and I definitely agree the he put his hands between his legs but if mckinnon doesn't bend his neck, it's a nothing tackle and he wouldn't have even been penalised. It's just one of the unfortunate things that no one is at fault so we shouldn't be punishing anyone

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Punching someone involves intent and malice mate and is an act of violence. Tackling is a part of Rugby League and this one went wrong. Completely different.
I know it not exactly the same but when you put hands between legs you do have intent, intent to drive the player head first into the ground.

Halfback

Waterboy
Reaction score
And btw the way, a plane crash has nothing to do whatsoever with this incident.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

More easily said than done when the game's played at 1000km/h with fatigue.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Punching someone involves intent and malice mate and is an act of violence. Tackling is a part of Rugby League and this one went wrong. Completely different.
Yes but the concept is the same. JM will get judged on the outcome instead of the crime.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
After all that has been said, I think McLean really doesn't care what he cops, just knowning he ruined a kids life would be the worst punishment, I know if it was me that would be hanging over my head for the rest of my life, whether I meant it or not.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
More easily said than done when the game's played at 1000km/h with fatigue.
Fatigue? Takes less energy just to wrap you arms around his thighs and use your body weight then lifting a bloke.

Halfback

Waterboy
Reaction score
And furthermore, btrainben, there is a rule in your 100 year old game, in fact a fairly recent rule such that players cannot possibly say they did not know about it. And that rule is that a ball runner's torso is not meant to be lifted above the horizontal in order to protect them from serious injury.

Gutty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate he is the one that put his hands between the legs, you only do that to dump a player on his head.

The NRL counsel didn't ruin his life, McLean did.
All i'm saying Mate, is that there have been 100's of tackles in the past that were far worse than this one......the kid has been punished for the outcome.........and to say Mclean ruined his own life is a F#$%ing disgusting comment. He never intended it to happen, but accidents do occur. Unfortunately, this ACCIDENT has had a terrible result.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's interesting reading all these comments about intent, malice & outcome of the tackle. If Mclean gets more time than Darcy Lussick then you would have to say that the outcome of the tackle has been taken into account. Instead of making him a scapegoat I would like to see this lifting the leg of a guy in a tackle stopped. Maybe the ref can just call held as it's obvious the guy isn't going anywhere...

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recklessness is just as bad as "intent and malice" in many crimes.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fatigue? Takes less energy just to wrap you arms around his thighs and use your body weight then lifting a bloke.
Yes, fatigue. Decision making isn't a prop forward's best attribute when you're sucking in the big ones in a really fast game.

We make things sound so easy and simple from our screens and keyboards, but realistically we have no idea how tough it is to really play in the NRL.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
All i'm saying Mate, is that there have been 100's of tackles in the past that were far worse than this one......the kid has been punished for the outcome.........and to say Mclean ruined his own life is a F#$%ing disgusting comment. He never intended it to happen, but accidents do occur. Unfortunately, this ACCIDENT has had a terrible result.
I agree it was an accident and I know he didn't intend to brake his neck, my point is that he did intend to drive his head into the ground by putting his hands between the legs.

I don't know I may be harsh and biased but I really feel for Alex and his family.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know I may be harsh and biased but I really feel for Alex and his family.
We all do mate. But throwing McLean under the bus isn't going to make anyone feel any better.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
7 weeks is all it's worth for putting someone in a wheelchair for life (potentially).

NRL Counsel asked the panel to consider a penalty between 7 and 11 weeks.

The weak bastards went for the minimum option.

Storm ... say no more.

Should have copped 9 weeks and put it inbetween.

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 weeks is all it's worth for putting someone in a wheelchair for life (potentially).

NRL Counsel asked the panel to consider a penalty between 7 and 11 weeks.

The weak bastards went for the minimum option.

Storm ... say no more.

Should have copped 9 weeks and put it inbetween.
I don't think he deserved even 5 weeks
It's bullshit how they use the end result of injury to make final judgement it should never be consider in making a decision on a ban
like everyone said it was a tackle gone wrong fair enough he had his Arms between but you can't tell me it was worth 7-11 weeks inu's tackle looked worse then that

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the fact that he will get anything more than 2 weeks is a farce and a witch hunt by everyone to find a scapegoat and hang this kid out to dry.

Obviously the repercussions of the tackle were catastrophic and tragic, but the tackle itself on it's own merits does not justify a heavy suspension. There was no recklessness there, there was no intent or malice, it was just a freak accident that could happen to anyone at any time.
No, it falls squarely into the definition of reckless -- a dangerous act that could result in serious injury.

Suspending McLean does no one any good and the kid has been through enough already knowing for the rest of his life that he played a part in sending someone to a wheelchair and ending his career. Anything else is just overkill and a PR stunt to appease a public baying for blood.
Again I disagree. It does plenty good to act as a deterrent for 2-digit IQ footy players who don't consider the consequences of their actions. As Invisible said, he got off too lightly.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolute disgrace that he got 7 weeks for that. We bullshit about how the Rugby League community stick together, yet this kid has just been souly blamed for another player possibly becoming a paraplegic.

I hope the NRL Judiciary know what they've now set as a precedence.

We've now got a kid in hospital with a tough future ahead, while we've got another kid now going to feel guilty for life for a tackle that's made week in and out.

I'm speechless to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.