Status
Not open for further replies.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Lol are you being serious?
about which bit? brenko in centres or hoppa playing lock/backrow

brenko was our biggest attacking threat last season

Hopa playing backrow or lock is probably a bit out there, but he has decent hands and i think he'd be alright there ( im not the coach for a reason) lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Newsflash sweet cheeks ... Edrick and Brenko both played in Canberra system for years before moving clubs.. and guess who was Asst coach at that time?

Oh and I know Pays opinion of Brenko because I know people at Mounties, which is where Brenko spent many games, dropped due to poor defence.

Dogs wanted Edrick, Raiders said "nope you can have Brenko". Idiot Castle accepted.

Brenko will spend most of his time in NSW Cup this year, except if there are long term injuries. At end of season, as good as gone if he hasn't fixed his defensive lapses.
I know edrick was at canberra before, but the fact they let him go doesnt support your argument at all.
And sure, brenko will be playing ISP next year, and yes "if" he can sort his defense out he will be a gun!!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Hopa playing backrow or lock is probably a bit out there, but he has decent hands and i think he'd be alright there ( im not the coach for a reason) lol
About hoppa playing lock or back row.

That has to be a gee up lol, mate if brenko sorts his defense issues out then I'm happy for a centre pairing of lee and Hopoate.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Moses Mbye
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Will Hopoate
5. Marcel Montoya
6. Josh Cleeland
7. Kieran Foran
8. David Klemmer
9. Michael Lichaa
10 . Aaron Woods
11. Rhyse Martin
12. Adam Elliott
13. Josh Jackson (c)
14. Aiden Tolman
15. Danny Fualalo
16. Francis Tualau
17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Tolman won't play off the bench. I'd say he'll play a lock type role. Workhorse tackler - a bit of a Simon Gillies without the skill...

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman won't play off the bench. I'd say he'll play a lock type role. Workhorse tackler - a bit of a Simon Gillies without the skill...
When he first came to us he offered a bit with his offloads. Hopefully Pay will let him do a bit more with the new structures. He actually did offload a few times at the end of this season. He could be a pretty useful 13 for us.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really believe Fualalo will develop into our best prop in time. He is another Asotasi. He is a giant of a man and uses his weight well.
As long as he keeps his stamina up he'll reach his potential.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Brenko was also the dogs weakest link in attack... Pay likes good defenders.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When he first came to us he offered a bit with his offloads. Hopefully Pay will let him do a bit more with the new structures. He actually did offload a few times at the end of this season. He could be a pretty useful 13 for us.
Whether he goes back to the bench or plays lock the dogs will be in a very good position next yr with the likes of Mariner and Elliot not rookies anymore and Rhyse Martin sure to get a call up.

Kill_Bill

Waterboy
Reaction score
http://nrl.com/mbye-set-to-become-bulldogs-fullback/tabid/10874/newsid/113997/default.aspx

Wed, Oct 25, 2017 - 07:00AM
By ‌Michael Chammas‌‌, ‌NRL.com
@MichaelChammas

Canterbury coach Dean Pay has made bold plans to overhaul what has been a predictable attacking structure in recent years, handing Moses Mbye first crack at the fullback jersey for next season.

In what is Pay’s first major decision as Canterbury head coach, the former NSW and Australian forward has moved quickly to try and bring the best out of the enigmatic Mbye, who has struggled to live up to the hype since his breakout year in 2015.

NRL.com understands Mbye has been told he would be given first chance at making the No.1 jersey his own during the pre-season after a couple of years of underwhelming performances in the halves under now sacked coach Des Hasler.

The Bulldogs signed Mbye on a lucrative multi-year deal in 2016, but the 24-year-old admitted earlier in the year that he didn’t know where he belonged on a football field.

Mbye is one of the most naturally gifted ball-runners in the game, which is why Pay is willing to give him the opportunity to make the transition to fullback.

It’s likely to force Will Hopoate back to the centres after struggling to make an impact at fullback for the Bulldogs throughout what was a disappointing 2017 campaign.

The largest criticism of the Bulldogs under Hasler this year was the stifling and sterile attack, keeping themselves in some games largely through their grit in defence.

With Kieran Foran to wear the No.6 jersey next year, Matt Frawley, Josh Cleeland and Fa’amanu Brown will fight for the right to partner the Kiwi international in a new-look halves combination.

Canterbury’s halfback looms as the final piece of the puzzle to solve in the spine during the pre-season after the club changed its mind and decided to re-sign hooker Michael Lichaa.

The Lebanese international, who was farewelled by the club after the final home game of the season, showed his worth with a strong month to finish the season where it became painstakingly clear he had ignored a three-year directive to avoid running from dummy-half.

The club believes it’s on the verge of becoming salary cap compliant in the coming days, which will culminate in the NRL officially registering the contracts of Foran and Aaron Woods.

Ive been saying he should be playing fullback since he joined the league.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I will be pretty underwhelmed if Brown was starting in the halves tbh. Bloke is nothing flash and is fairly injury prone. He also tried to charge is Iphone in the fucking microwave ffs, that's pretty fucking dumb hahaha.
Lucky he picked footy as a career and not tech support! Haha

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ive been saying he should be playing fullback since he joined the league.
He just looks like a fullback doesn't he? Anyone but idiot Des would have tried him there by now imo.

He has the speed and ball playing ability to be as good as or better than any fullback in the league imo.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Out of Hoppa and Lee in the Centres id go with Hoppa for sure. Just for the all round game. Lee can be the pisj if he gets his entire game sorted.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
guess Jmoz is playing in NSW Cup then?

hoppa could not be a bigger plodder than eastwood in the backrow thats for sure

Your guess is 100% right good work I would be happy with this, if and only if lee fixed up his defense

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Mbye - most arguments in this thread about him doing well in this position
2. BMoz & 3. JMoz - poor bastards got NO EARLY BALL - NONE!
4. Hoppa - great hands and defense and can pick gaps
5. Montoya - energizer bunny
6. Foran - must be 2nd receiver to set the play with options
7. Cleeland/Brown - interested who works better with Foran
8. Woods - Obvious
9. Lichaa - obvious
10. Klemmer - thought it was obvious but some people have contracted some DESease
11. Jackson (C) - do I need to say more?
12. Elliot - same as Tolman
13. Tolman - keep some workmanlike players for first 20

14. Martin
15. RFM
16. Fualalo
17. Eastwood/Tualau/Brown/Cleeland - depending on team dynamics and what we need (probably know after 5 rounds)

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with Hoppa at FB. He has good defense and can return the ball. We have a problem in the centres.
We need Mbye in the centres to make use of his speed. He is not a creative player, he is a finisher. better suited to centre than fullback.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with Hoppa at FB. He has good defense and can return the ball. We have a problem in the centres.
We need Mbye in the centres to make use of his speed. He is not a creative player, he is a finisher. better suited to centre than fullback.
Im exact opposite to this .
Hoppa cannot read the Attack well when its coming at him.9/10 hes on the other side of the posts when the other team scores. He is best at Centgra I belive. Mbye will give us more attacking options when we run plays, with him chiming in when Woods offloads will be great. Hes quick, a good defender and reads plays well.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im exact opposite to this .
Hoppa cannot read the Attack well when its coming at him.9/10 hes on the other side of the posts when the other team scores. He is best at Centgra I belive. Mbye will give us more attacking options when we run plays, with him chiming in when Woods offloads will be great. Hes quick, a good defender and reads plays well.
Agree. Give Mbye a go at fullback. Foran is a straight running half and Mbye trailing him (and Woods and RFM) with the extra speed will be a big asset if Mbye can step up. If his defence or positional play turns out to be sus we can always change. Not sure about Hoppa at centre but worth a shot. If Pay sets the team up around it's strengths, we will definitely have a defensive mentality and Hoppa at centre, ahead of Brenko, fits that. We still lack proven attacking options. BTW there is no way JMoz will play reserves. Shit halves who run across field have jammed all our backs up in the last 2 years and I reckon JMoz will be great next year with a straighter attack.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brenko was also the dogs weakest link in attack... Pay likes good defenders.
One says Brenko was one of our strong points in attack and you say he's weak in attack and Pay likes strong defenders. Well, Brenko, might have issues in defence but can you see something wrong in your logic here. Jus as a matter of opinion, I would always have a back who could score or set up trys rather than a super defender. Tell me a player than does both so impeccably well. Lets score trys and let Mybe moe them down from behind if they are lucky enough to get through

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Da fuq am I reading about Hoppa in the backrow to fit Brenko into the centres?!

Brenko can neither read the defence out wide or turn and chase.

Yes he could learn, but his Navarra turning circle and his dump truck acceleration will always leave him badly exposed to pace.

If there is a future for Brenko it is in the backrow.

3. Hoppa
4. Jmoz

11. Brenko
12. RFM

Gives plenty of strike on the edges and wont compromise defence as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.