Mbye Fullback or nah ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
This is my first proper thread on here guys so go easy on me ay ? Lol Seriously though IMHO I think Mbye should play fb next year or at least get a crack at it dont you think ?

-SPEED
-acceleration off the mark
-decent passing game
-prime age soon
-barely have to kick
-played fb in younger years
-familiar with teammates
-Most importantly he is on FULLBACK MONEY

Defence at the back is something else I know and we can work on it as we go along but you just cant coach that raw speed and thats what he can bring to the role IN HOUSE !

If we pull it off I think it would be a master stroke & just one of many positional fuckups in our spine we wouldn't have to worry about moving forward. I know I sound like some big Mbye-lover or some shit but honestly I rate the dude I honestly feel he is just bein played outta position because Hasbeens stubbornness to switch things up & try new things seriously though maybe our "rockstar" fullback COULD HAVE BEEN under our noses this whole time.

Thoughts ???

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He has the attributes but will need time to develop into the role. So it's much easier to say no than yes to the idea.

Under a real coach he probably would have been tried at the back.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that we on the kennel are the only people who think this.
Would think its the only way to get anything like value for $ out of the guy
reckon he'd be great, and Hoppa would be better at centre.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's discussion 45,001 Mr I... :grinning::grinning:

BMoz was bought as our you beaut, watch him go fullback but his body failed the physical.
Hoppa was bought as right centre but had to fill in for BMoz at fullback. Goes well but...

And now we have Moses who is an excellent running back with limitations. As a centre he can only play left side. So yeah, he might go real well at fullback but what's he like under the high ball? If he can handle that part of the game IMO he's definitely our man with no extra money spent.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been saying this all year long. Even last year. And yes, this thread has been raised a few times already. Sadly as long as des is in charge it will never happen. Not sure a new coach would put him there either. But id love to see him have a crack.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Was hoping Des would have already tried this when our season was a write off but it didn't happen.

Agree he has all the running attributes and can defend. The questions would have been over organising defence, the high ball and positioning. But yeah thought he could be a great fullback if he ticked these boxes.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a Supercoach supporter by any means. But he is 100% right in not playing Mbye as fullback.
Mbye is a great athlete, but he is not a thinking footballer. He would be wasted at fullback.
His only position where he may go OK is in the centres. He tackles OK, has speed, and can bust the line.
He isnt a creator of any sort. In the centres he basically gas to catch and run. He can do that without thinking to much..

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe he should be tried at FB, have been saying it for a long time, saw him pull of some great covering tackles, however organising defence positional play may be a problem, but could be taught by a decent coach, someone other than Des of course.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It would be a great move to give him a shot at full back. Nothing to lose by trying him out there.
However that would require the rocket scientist to think outside the square . . . not going to happen.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
People forget that fullback requires a lot of running, every game, for 26 rounds a year.

I reckon Moses is too light on for a fullback, with untested fitness running for 60-80 minutes a game.

Would either struggle with all the running and become ineffective, would get picked up and carried out/over dead ball line, and with guys like Tupou towering over him, would be in trouble if challenged at the back.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People forget that fullback requires a lot of running, every game, for 26 rounds a year.

I reckon Moses is too light on for a fullback, with untested fitness running for 60-80 minutes a game.

Would either struggle with all the running and become ineffective, would get picked up and carried out/over dead ball line, and with guys like Tupou towering over him, would be in trouble if challenged at the back.
He's part african.
I think he can run for long periods.
Maybe even across the continent :grinning:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a Supercoach supporter by any means. But he is 100% right in not playing Mbye as fullback.
Mbye is a great athlete, but he is not a thinking footballer. He would be wasted at fullback.
His only position where he may go OK is in the centres. He tackles OK, has speed, and can bust the line.
He isnt a creator of any sort. In the centres he basically gas to catch and run. He can do that without thinking to much..
Disagree. But hey we're all free to have an opinion on this.
Id just love to see him get the opportunity to prove us all wrong or right. Hoppa is best suited in teh Centres I believe.
For me he has, Speed, Can defend well, has vision and reads the opposition well. Covers better than any FB we've had in the last few years. Not saying much there but still.
Until we know who we are losing its hard to say who's best fit for anywhere.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People saying he's too small. Same height as Tedesco
Tedesco - 1.8m
Slater- 1.78
Coote - 1.79
Boyd - 1.84
French - 1.81
Gordon - 1.79
Holmes - 1.85

Tallest would be?
Tom Turbo - 1.94

I've lost interest in searching, but you get my drift lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its Des and his unconventional thinking that is stopping him from playing FB. Most sane coaches wouldve tried the obvious but not our Des.....Good old Des thinks Tolman is the best prop in the game.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor bastard has been played everywhere else, why not. On a serious note I think he could make a decent 6 with a good halves partner. The thing holding back a lot of the playing group is a decent coach, hopefully this happens soon.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People saying he's too small. Same height as Tedesco
Tedesco - 1.8m
Slater- 1.78
Coote - 1.79
Boyd - 1.84
French - 1.81
Gordon - 1.79
Holmes - 1.85

Tallest would be?
Tom Turbo - 1.94

I've lost interest in searching, but you get my drift lol
He's also 90kg+..i really can't see any of his physical attributes holding him back at fb. I still think he needs to play at 6 with a better coach, systems and halves partner.

Thing is if we play him at 6 we will have a really slow spine again with Hoppa and Foran in the 7 and 1.. if we push Moses to fb we could then play Cleeland in the 6 and that would give us that extra pace and footwork we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.