Matty Johns Podcast - Talking about Terry Lamb

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not much credibility behind the poll when El Masri gets more votes than Mortimer as our Greatest ever Bulldog. El Masri is a Dogs legend but he's not at Mortimer's level. TK poll is clearly stacked with millenials.
C. MORTIMER or A FARRAR deserved a spot.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Terry Lamb is the G.O.A.T without a doubt.
Should be an immortal. Up there with Wally Lewis.
I am old enough to have watched Les Johns. He was a great.

Johns unfortunately was injury prone and never got a go for NSW and Australia because of Keith Barnes and Eric Simms who were goal kickers.
Back then goals were more important. Balmain, with Barnes kicking once won a game 14-13 and scored no tries to 3 (3 point tries).

Lamb was up against Lewis and Kenny.
He toured England and played every game.
Played for the Dogs 13 years. The best backup of all time. Created tries and was a great defender.

Mortimer.
Saw him do incredible things with the ball on the field.
Great cover defender.

Both Mortimer and Lamb were inspirational players.

My opinion is that Tezza just pips Turvey
Les Johns played 14 games for NSW and about 12 for Australia. Hes the best fullback we have ever had.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les johns is before everyone’s time but the oldies back in the day talked about him when Turvey hit the scene so he must have been up there

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There have been many wonderful players over the years and to compare them is all but impossible. How does one compare the impact the impact that Kevin Ryan had on the team with the leadership of Dr George, the mercurial feats of Steve Mortimer, the point scoring (tries and goals) sensation of El Magic, the defense splitting abilities of Cement and Big Willie and many many more. But of the players I have watched over the years Les Johns will always be the Bulldog's GOAT.
I never got to see Les John's but my dad always says how good he was... I was lucky to start watching the Dogs from 1980 and witnessed the dominant era!

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Johns unfortunately was injury prone and never got a go for NSW and Australia because of Keith Barnes and Eric Simms who were goal kickers.
Back then goals were more important. Balmain, with Barnes kicking once won a game 14-13 and scored no tries to 3 (3 point tries).

Played for the Dogs 13 years. The best backup of all time. Created tries and was a great defender.

Mortimer.
Great cover defender.

Totally agree

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the only player ever to play every game on kangaroo tour .He was my hero and greatest dog of all time.Loved Turvey and also a hero but cant go past baa.
I think he may have done it on 2 tours... I'll need to Google that

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les Johns was a bit before my time, But the greatest player I've had the privilege to watch was the Arch Bishop of Canterbury - Steve ( should definitely be an immortal ) Mortimer,
No 2 - Terry Lamb
No 3 - Ben Barber
All three were excitement machines in their own wright but the greatest was Turvey Mortimer.
View attachment 48045 View attachment 48046View attachment 48048View attachment 48053View attachment 48049View attachment 48051View attachment 48052View attachment 48054View attachment 48055
Barba was a one hit wonder rod Silva was better stan cutler was better and Gary Dowling was better even the general was ahead of barba

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barba was a one hit wonder rod Silva was better stan cutler was better and Gary Dowling was better even the general was ahead of barba
All the Fullbacks that you have mentioned are great Fullbacks in their write and I was lucky enough to see them all play and they are all favorites of mine, but Ben Barba was an ex factor and a freak, please click on the You Tube link below just to refresh your memory and maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

(10) Ben Barba - "Untouchable" Dally M 2012 - YouTube

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All the Fullbacks that you have mentioned are great Fullbacks in their write and I was lucky enough to see them all play and they are all favorites of mine, but Ben Barba was an ex factor and a freak, please click on the You Tube link below just to refresh your memory and maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

Ewan Mcgrady was in the Ben Barba mould, but I think he was better. He had a kicking game that Ben did not have. Unlike Barba, he was a humble, quiet person who did not like city life.

Reaction score
the only player ever to play every game on kangaroo tour .He was my hero and greatest dog of all time.Loved Turvey and also a hero but cant go past baa.
remember the game on that tour when he scored 5 tries, since when do 5/8's score 5 tries in a match, genuine legend

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bulldogs fans could argue forever on who is the GOAT.

Let's have:

GOAT Halfback = Turvey
GOAT 5/8 = Baa

How can you spilt them. Impossible. They both brought brilliant attacking and defensive qualities, backing up the ball, inspirational leadership, entertainment and put the Bulldogs in the best of light with positive publicity and respect for our club.

Turvey had the freakish abilities and Baa the reliability to pull something out of his bag of tricks to get us a win.

Neither of these 2 deserve to be called the 2nd Best.

They were equal in every way for the talent shown, ability to win us games, legacy as icons of the game and love for the CB Bulldogs.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mortimer.
Great cover defender.

Terry Lamb was the greatest week in week out club footballer i have ever seen.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I said daylight between 2nd and 3rd, not between Turvey and Lamb. Most dogs fans that saw the whole career of Turvey and Lamb that I have come across have said Turvey is our greatest. It's mainly Dogs fans that were born in the late 80's onwards and missed most of Turvey's career that say Lamb.
>" lamb was a better leader"
Turvey was the first man to captain NSW to an Origin series win. Lamb was a great leader but never captain of NSW. Turvey is the only half to lead the Dogs to back to back GF wins. Lamb is a fantastic leader and a legendary player for the Dogs but Turvey is the GOAT. When they played together for 5 years it was Turvey leading the side except for his last year in 88 when he was injured for a fair part of the year.
As Sterlo himself said on the record during Parra's glory days in the 80's their game plan every time they played the Dogs was to limit Turvey's impact on the game because they knew that would determine the outcome.
Fair enough re your daylight point, you’re definitely correct there, and I agree with your (date born) theory to.
Lamb was larger than life for me, and never had the team around him that Turvey did. Just felt like Lamb did it on his own for years

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

he had his moments and I stress moments before he shafted us the guys I mentioned loyal club men never shafted us true bulldogs

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baa = GOAT

IMO he should be an immortal. Watched his whole career, never had a bad game, absolute champion.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t think Barba is even in the conversation.
He had one quality year before walking out on us for a team who sacked him after one season. It’s an insult to Turvey and Baa who gave their guts for our club for more than a decade on the field and longer off it. No-one questions they are #1/#2 and for those of us lucky enough to watch their careers I haven’t seen anyone else come close, despite it being a different era. But good to see players of a later era acknowledge them.
Totally fn agree there is a BIG gap between that roughly 1 season wonder and these two Bulldog LEGENDS.
I am a bit bias so I won't argue about who is no 1 of the 2 but there wouldn't be much between them, when you think about Lamb's longevity there has never been a tougher little bastard play ever than this champ punched 15 to 20 kilos above his weight and was never say die, also was only 5'6 ffs!!