Opinion Matt Burton

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bellamy coached his team to target Burton and duffty, Slater said it pre game .
Barrett had no answer.
Makes a mockery of those times that coaches/players say "we aren't concerned with the other team, we are focused on ourselves". It was obvious Melbourne were prepared on the edges for us, they combined slowing the ruck down with an emphasis on edge defense specifically as a way to close down our main attacking weapons.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was always going to have the weight of expectations on his shoulders.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I keep saying, Baz makes countless changes to players positions and roles but refuses to make the most obvious change which is to put Burton at halfback. At this point, what's the harm in trying him there?

How can any coach see the way Burton is playing and teams are defending him and not make an adjustment so the most talented player on the team can get better quality touches?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burtin is fine. He is not the issue, he is part of the solution.

Team is disconnected, not given the opportunity to build combinations, not put in a structure that's going to get the best out of them. Coaching is the biggest issue from what I see.
Cant coach structure if coach reshuffles the team. Wakeham is in now, lets hope Baz sticks with him for a while and "coaches" this team to score some points.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he was horrendous yesterday. Being tackled on the 5th numerous times, throwing balls to no body, the intercept to coates, kicked for a 7 tackle set etc etc he just looked like he'd never played in his life. the 1 time he put a bomb up, papenhauzen struggled under it and let it bounce. it obviously caused him issues, so what did burton do after that? not put up another one. he hasn't looked interested since he arrived at belmore to be honest
Would of had the same results with Lewis thus far, at a fraction of the price. If a boot is all he is going to offer bring Lewis back because he had a good kick too.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s face it. Until we get a decent half every team is going to smother Burton as they know he’s the only one who can create something. Doesn’t matter which of our B grade halves we put next to him they continue to focus on Burton. Good teams will hurt us like the storm did

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton had an absolute disaster class and it was as bad as a performance as any of our halves over the years. People don't want to hear it but his and the teams form dropped off a cliff after a certain round 3 change.
Bra, you have literally posted the same thing 20 times since last night mix it up a bit

Malla

Reaction score
Cant coach structure if coach reshuffles the team. Wakeham is in now, lets hope Baz sticks with him for a while and "coaches" this team to score some points.
100%. He's put himself in a shit spot because it is clear that dropping Avo for Wakeham was not going to see any improvement. As a result we got worse. Now he's put Avo in centre. Whats next? Surely Flanno gets the next crack? It just gives the impression the coach has no idea what hes doing and has no clue what the solution is.

Malla

Reaction score
I agree, I've actually been pretty happy with TPJ - at least he's making decent metres and getting offloads. It's just usually those offloads go to JMK or Jackson who just clusterfuck everything.
He had the most metres by a forward last night from both teams. He is doing his job. Can't blame the teams inability to create and finish opportunities on him.

Malla

Reaction score
only like 6
He is right though. Our halves were poor and this was probably the worst performance from Burton in his career. We know he has the potential, but he's been really bad the last 2 weeks. We can't coddle him with compliments and I hope he isn't getting that from coaching staff either. He is playing below par, he needs to be told that.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100%. He's put himself in a shit spot because it is clear that dropping Avo for Wakeham was not going to see any improvement. As a result we got worse. Now he's put Avo in centre. Whats next? Surely Flanno gets the next crack? It just gives the impression the coach has no idea what hes doing and has no clue what the solution is.
I dont know what to think any more. Im over this shit and feeling let down. Time for me to do something constructive and not think about the Dogs for now.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Most on TK wanted that change so i hope they're enjoying it :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I think Burton is massively overhyped though tbf, there's obviously plenty of issues but he isn't a shadow of the player people on here made him out to be. He still has plenty of developing to do and as we all know players don't develop at the Dogs..
I tend to agree about your man Averillo, he probably is the best option we have but fuck me he has had 12 months to show he is up to it and nothing as yet could convince me he would get a start in any other NRL team (tigers don't count), And that is the problem Burton is miles ahead of anything else we have but Opposition just have to target him (which storm did) and then we see what happens when we don't have a second option.
Burton's had 4 games your man has had 40 odd and you somehow think Burton is over hyped, truth is we need a NRL quality half to partner Burton and we haven't got one..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He had three and four defenders in his face the second he touched the ball yesterday because the service is so slow and predictable to him and the opposition knows he's our only strike weapon.

He is the player he was made out to be, he showed that at Penrith even in games where all of their Origin players were missing. He just needs time in a shitty team with a shitty structure and coach to adjust and to be able to find his form.
So Burton gets a million excuses but they don't apply to the other players? LOL. We all lnow there's things wrong and i;ve said from the beginning i don't agree with how Baz has set the team up but it is what it is. Right now Burton is not playing any better than any of our other halves have over the years and for someone that people have up as some superstar immortal he SHOULD be doing better. He didn't show it at Penrith, he done nothing for large parts of the game in the halves and then turned it on with some great runs. There's nothing wrong with that, he's still an amazing talent but he isn't anywhere close to the type of player people have made out.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s going to put BBO there

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So Burton gets a million excuses but they don't apply to the other players? LOL. We all lnow there's things wrong and i;ve said from the beginning i don't agree with how Baz has set the team up but it is what it is. Right now Burton is not playing any better than any of our other halves have over the years and for someone that people have up as some superstar immortal he SHOULD be doing better. He didn't show it at Penrith, he done nothing for large parts of the game in the halves and then turned it on with some great runs. There's nothing wrong with that, he's still an amazing talent but he isn't anywhere close to the type of player people have made out.
Who's making excuses? I said he's played poorly the last two games. Yesterday he was forcing things because we were getting smashed and Melbourne were all up in his face all game. He didn't handle that well. He'll learn from that.

But it's his fourth game with the club. We got smashed 44-0 and no one aside from Dufty and TPJ played well. He's played about 10 FG games in the halves. Just two weeks ago he looked great. People shouldn't be concerned or thinking he's not as good as we thought based off the last few weeks. He's a great talent that needs to play better but also needs to be utilised differently to help him play better.