Matt Burton Fullback?

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who think I am dumb for saying this can you please tell me why this is a dumb idea?

Burtim strengths:
Bomb
Step
Run

Burton weakness:
Organised
Involvement
Ball playing

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really don't know about our fullback situation, clearly its not working.We need to try something else. Cannot keep loosing in hope of a recovery. Burton, Fox, Kiraz, Wilson , Averillo, Burns?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For those who think I am dumb for saying this can you please tell me why this is a dumb idea?

Burtim strengths:
Bomb
Step
Run

Burton weakness:
Organised
Involvement
Ball playing
The best fullbacks need to organise, ball play, and get involved.
Just think about Billy slater fir a minute.

The 3 weaknesses you identified in Burton is 3 of Billy slaters strengths.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For what it's worth
I don't like the idea of Burton playing half back.
Nor the idea of him shifting to fullback.

I think Burton in a strong team like when at the panthers filled in great at centre.

But in almost all other clubs he would be a 5/8.
And I still think that's his best position.

I said this in another thread.
If we could share ben hunt.
And let Ben hunt organise all our attacking sets and ease the organising out if Burton's game.
Let Burton be a running half.
On the back of good attacking shapes good service from dummy half and structures from bent hunt at first reliever Burton would flourish.

Even cam Munster would look average in our current team.

I honestly think Burton is under too much of a microscope.

I want to say this on record right here and now.
I believe Burton is a quality 5/8th and outside a quality halfback would be one of the top 5/8ths in the game.

I can see why people are questioning his position and ability.
But to those who truly understand the game, it's clear to see Burton's quality and its clear to see why he is currently struggling.

A quality halfback is key, make no mistake about it.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think we should move Mahoney to the wing so we can hide him in defence.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For what it's worth
I don't like the idea of Burton playing half back.
Nor the idea of him shifting to fullback.

I think Burton in a strong team like when at the panthers filled in great at centre.

But in almost all other clubs he would be a 5/8.
And I still think that's his best position.

I said this in another thread.
If we could share ben hunt.
And let Ben hunt organise all our attacking sets and ease the organising out if Burton's game.
Let Burton be a running half.
On the back of good attacking shapes good service from dummy half and structures from bent hunt at first reliever Burton would flourish.

Even cam Munster would look average in our current team.

I honestly think Burton is under too much of a microscope.

I want to say this on record right here and now.
I believe Burton is a quality 5/8th and outside a quality halfback would be one of the top 5/8ths in the game.

I can see why people are questioning his position and ability.
But to those who truly understand the game, it's clear to see Burton's quality and its clear to see why he is currently struggling.

A quality halfback is key, make no mistake about it.
Exactly. Burton is a five eighth through and through... and potentially one of the best ones. Don't see why he gets so much criticism and everyone swoons over Mahoney. Burton is a much better talent than Reed and does much more for our team. Burton sets up multiple tries but throws one bad pass and they bring out the pitchforks....Mahoney misses too many tackles, does SFA in attack more often than not and everybody acts like he's a future immortal lol. In the Titans game reed got like 30 supercoach points, had a very average game and everyone fawned over him because he enthusiastically celebrated a try. And I was banned, so I couldn't even make fun of them :(

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. Burton is a five eighth through and through... and potentially one of the best ones. Don't see why he gets so much criticism and everyone swoons over Mahoney. Burton is a much better talent than Reed and does much more for our team. Burton sets up multiple tries but throws one bad pass and they bring out the pitchforks....Mahoney misses too many tackles, does SFA in attack more often than not and everybody acts like he's a future immortal lol. In the Titans game reed got like 30 supercoach points, had a very average game and everyone fawned over him because he enthusiastically celebrated a try. And I was banned, so I couldn't even make fun of them :(
I'm not sure if I can take anything you say seriously or if you being sarcastic.

Ok, I'll give you the beifit of doubt and assume that a legitimate post.

I don't know why either player would cop shit.

They make mistakes, sure... who doesn't?

But they are not the reason we lose games and at the bottom of the table.

Both are quality players and we can build a quality team around them both.

We are on the right track if we get the right players around them.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I can take anything you say seriously or if you being sarcastic.

Ok, I'll give you the beifit of doubt and assume that a legitimate post.

I don't know why either player would cop shit.

They make mistakes, sure... who doesn't?

But they are not the reason we lose games and at the bottom of the table.

Both are quality players and we can build a quality team around them both.

We are on the right track if we get the right players around them.
He doesn't lose us games as a general rule (he definitely lost us the Parra one).... but was definitely a waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere, considering we already had a much cheaper alternative at the club who is now a better player than him. Still wish we'd keot the receipt on him.

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really don't know about our fullback situation, clearly its not working.We need to try something else. Cannot keep loosing in hope of a recovery. Burton, Fox, Kiraz, Wilson , Averillo, Burns?
My choice is Braidon Burns.

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why not. Folksy played Willie Mason at five eighth in a semi

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton doesn’t have the work rate in him to play fullback.

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
He is or best halfback at the moment. If we get a better half, he slots in to 5/8. He is a decent half and would be better with some experience around him. I don't understand the flack he cops on here.