Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He isn't worth anymore that 500k ATM, blokes effort off the ball is fucked.
He can't tackle, always arm grabbing...
His kicking game is severely overrated, not one bomb had spin or float, all standard up and unders that are easy to catch.

Of course his ceiling is high, but fuck me he needs to improve alot to have any pull at negotiations.
I think Gus will pay him what he thinks he's worth, just some fans and media knobs saying he is worth gazillions of dollars.
Commentary said Potter said at half time he wanted kicks deep into the corners, I think Burto did 1. Surely that will come up during the week at training?
Mutt said it best, needed to be going for field position instead of low percentage kicks.
He does pull of some good tackles at times but yeah, shirt grab misses seem to be common.
Anyways, surely he will improve.

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His defence this year was mint up until origin period. He was solid as a rock... i fukn hate SOO and what is does to players especially 22 yr old kids.
I agree, could be carrying an injury?
Remember back to the rorters game he made some big defensive plays.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, could be carrying an injury?
Remember back to the rorters game he made some big defensive plays.

He is tired.. mentally, physically... Long season so far and the high and lows of origin didnt help.

Everyone beating on a 22 yr old because his game management is off even though he is a running 5/8 is just sad.

Finally get a player that puts defenses on their heals every time he touches the ball and people are happy for him to walk... crazy.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His defence this year was mint up until origin period. He was solid as a rock... i fukn hate SOO and what is does to players especially 22 yr old kids.
His defence has never been great.

He isn’t a disaster in defence but his technique is average.

Most of his defence is arm grabbing.

Then when he does put some grunt into the tackle he uses his chest with no arms.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He will bounce back today ..even on his off day he still threw the last pass for x2 tries

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton deserves criticism for the way he played but honestly people that want to fuck him off have NFI

How short are some peoples memories especially with the god awful halves we've had in recent years

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is tired.. mentally, physically... Long season so far and the high and lows of origin didnt help.

Everyone beating on a 22 yr old because his game management is off even though he is a running 5/8 is just sad.

Finally get a player that puts defenses on their heals every time he touches the ball and people are happy for him to walk... crazy.
No one is beating on him, we're just being critical because some on here have declared that he's already one of the games best 5/8's and is a million dollar player. If you guys reigned it in and stopped being so defensive then maybe we can actually have a proper discussion.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is terrible. Just scraps on what salary he is on currently. He is good at one thing and he cant even do that right consistently. Just so poor most weeks. All this talk about 1 mil and 800k is absurd. Disgraceful performance tonight.
Your name is Zane leask..

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His kicking game let us down again, think he put in one good kick all game. Like I said previously he has a great clearing kick when he nails it but so many times there's a higher percentage kick available but he just never takes it. Needs to be kicking for placement, get the ball deeper and either into space or towards the corner. Just refused to do it all game.

He's a good young half but that's all he is at this stage, still has plenty of areas that need a lot of development in his game before he's even in the picture with other top 5/8's. Just let him develop instead of talking him up like he's anything close to million dollar player.
And be confident in kicking early.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one is beating on him, we're just being critical because some on here have declared that he's already one of the games best 5/8's and is a million dollar player. If you guys reigned it in and stopped being so defensive then maybe we can actually have a proper discussion.
It’s the media doing that

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And be confident in kicking early.
I don't know why he doesn't do it, he could easily drill the ball deep and into space a tackle or two early and turn the opposition around. Instead he just lobs the ball and gives the ball to the opposition in a favourable position.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post.

The hate players cop after a loss is pretty poor to be honest.
We all have players we aren’t fans of and inevitably some players cause mistakes leading to games being lost but for one week people to be calling for him to be paid 1 million to the next saying sack him or whatever fuck a lot of
People need to look at themselves.

Such a bipolar forum.

Burton deserves an upgrade and I wouldn’t judge him on straight after a loss. Put more good players around him, he will be better as the team gels and as he gets more experience.

Your boy Avo is coming good at fullback @Mutt Dafty. Happy to be proven wrong. Fullback seems to be his place.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't know why he doesn't do it, he could easily drill the ball deep and into space a tackle or two early and turn the opposition around. Instead he just lobs the ball and gives the ball to the opposition in a favourable position.
I hope he and the coaching staff aren't falling in love with all the media about Burton's bomb. If we're being honest, I think they've really only netted 2 errors - most teams are letting them bounce, which may pay off one day but hasn't yet.

Personally think that 40-20 (that was actually a 30-5) torpedo was the most impressive kick he's put in this year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His club form has dropped since his Origin selection. For younger players in their first Origin, that isn't uncommon.

His defence has been worse the last few weeks. He has to run it more and get more involved while mixing up kicks and not just bombing constantly.. I'm putting some of that down to the Origin effect and think now that's behind him and he can focus solely on the Bulldogs, we'll see him have another few breakout games soon where his talent shines through..

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His kicking game let us down again, think he put in one good kick all game. Like I said previously he has a great clearing kick when he nails it but so many times there's a higher percentage kick available but he just never takes it. Needs to be kicking for placement, get the ball deeper and either into space or towards the corner. Just refused to do it all game.

He's a good young half but that's all he is at this stage, still has plenty of areas that need a lot of development in his game before he's even in the picture with other top 5/8's. Just let him develop instead of talking him up like he's anything close to million dollar player.
Agree man, he would benefit so much with an experienced halfback beside him to take the pressure off, Flanno kicked more tonight so maybe it's something there going to work on and with Mahoney coming next year he offers a good kick option aswell, would also like to see AVO have a few aswell keep the opposition guessing.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And your getting worked up over those who consider him to be worth a million and one of the best 5/8s ? Your judgement is being clouded and yes your points are non debatable rather they lack plenty of context... Kid has a long way to go, he will get there no doubt and in all honesty that cheque is based on talent and potential atm more than execution.

As stated before he isnt worth more than 700k over 4 years and thats an inflated price tag to try and keep him at he club leading into his prime years where another sit down will happen for the next 4.