Matt Burton consolidated thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Find it odd you put 90% Cleary. Should be 250% Cleary
I can see him as more likely of imploding if things went wrong than the other 2 :grinning:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Think we also need to consider the fact that Penriths forward pack are all guns. The amount of space and time they give their backline is incredible and they literally bend the line everytime.

Behind our current back all our new signings are going to struggle hard

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if we can keep him other quality players will follow....

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to watch the round 3 Panthers vs Knights game from last year. Burton is a freakish talent, but unless you guys fix your pack up to at least a serviceable standard you are going to be very disappointed. It could take him a few years to become dominant as an NRL level half. Look at Cleary, he has always shown promise, but it's really only since he racked up 80 or so first grade games that he has reached god tier. Cleary also has the luxury of a pretty formidable team around him, something Matt wont have at Belmore next year. I'd hate to see his career fucked up by the weight of expectation. Hopefully he is given the time and tools to reach his capabilities.
probably why talk from us or the club about bringing across Burton this year died down a while back... our pack is that bad that we realised that even Burton would not help the situation for 2021

we need a hooker, 2-3 middle third forwards and a strike second rower and it will take another couple years and good judgement before that is realised

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On top of everything everyone has pointed out is the one unknown variable.... what are the rules going to be like next year. Will V'lad the Implaler come under extreme pressure to the trash 6 again rules and have to rescind them? Will the 30 sendoffs from high tackles be reviewed so that only deliberate foul play be dealt with such severity? Will V'lad go all gungho and dump a sh!t load more stupid, useless rules on the game to turn it into true Rugba Leeg.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before the season kicked off, the Bulldogs were blowing up saying how unfair it was to Burton to have him stay at Penrith. How embarrassing. What must the kid be thinking now. How many of you would backflip in a heart beat ? At Penrith he would have eventually played origin and for Australia. The same can’t be said at the Bulldogs who currently have a mortgage on the spoon.
I can’t see Canterbury anywhere near the 8 next year unless they pick up 4 to 5 more , world class players.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before the season kicked off, the Bulldogs were blowing up saying how unfair it was to Burton to have him stay at Penrith. How embarrassing. What must the kid be thinking now. How many of you would backflip in a heart beat ? At Penrith he would have eventually played origin and for Australia. The same can’t be said at the Bulldogs who currently have a mortgage on the spoon.
I can’t see Canterbury anywhere near the 8 next year unless they pick up 4 to 5 more , world class players.
did moving to the then bottom of the table Knights impede Ponga's representative aspirations?

as for the 'Dogs having a mortgage on the spoon, it definitely looks like it this year... I would though note that we have had close to the worst FG squad for 4+ years but have avoided the spoon thus far

and context is important... yes, the Panthers appear to be a juggernaut at the moment and are favourites to win an all impressive THIRD premiership in their entire history and Burton can be a part of that... but it would be as a bit part player in a star studded squad on minimum wage... he gets to earn a lot more money with us in his preferred position

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I disagree a little we need about 3, a good to very good 9 and 1 but preferably two ripping forwards..if our cap allowed another astute buy, another forward or someone like Hynes for our backline or halves.

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton himself said he wanted to come to us this year. Why would he backflip and not play his position of choice with an upgrade in contract of around $300K per year? He’ll play origin eventually either way, he’s too good not to

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
Do players honestly play for money or just wining?
Penrith had there chance to sign him but didn’t.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty ordinary post to be honest.

Lots of players go from good clubs to weak clubs either for more opportunity or more money. He is coming for both. He has paid all of his junior footy in the halves and if he stayed at Penrith he wont get to do that.

No way we are getting the spoon next year. Our side will be completely different so another misinformed comment

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty ordinary post to be honest.

Lots of players go from good clubs to weak clubs either for more opportunity or more money. He is coming for both. He has paid all of his junior footy in the halves and if he stayed at Penrith he wont get to do that.

No way we are getting the spoon next year. Our side will be completely different so another misinformed comment
Never said you would get the spoon. As far as ordinary posts go, I’ve been very partial when it comes to the Bulldogs. Some of the stuff I read is far more scathing that this.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
did moving to the then bottom of the table Knights impede Ponga's representative aspirations?

as for the 'Dogs having a mortgage on the spoon, it definitely looks like it this year... I would though note that we have had close to the worst FG squad for 4+ years but have avoided the spoon thus far

and context is important... yes, the Panthers appear to be a juggernaut at the moment and are favourites to win an all impressive THIRD premiership in their entire history and Burton can be a part of that... but it would be as a bit part player in a star studded squad on minimum wage... he gets to earn a lot more money with us in his preferred position
I hope he goes to the Bulldogs and kills it. Most of my mates are Dogs fans and I can tell you that between March to September they are no barrel of laughs. We watched the Titans match on the weekend and they all went off their head.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
probably why talk from us or the club about bringing across Burton this year died down a while back... our pack is that bad that we realised that even Burton would not help the situation for 2021

we need a hooker, 2-3 middle third forwards and a strike second rower and it will take another couple years and good judgement before that is realised
I think a good hooker is the key. And a better coach. The middles you have should be playing a lot better than they are, a decent 9 and better fitness would see them perform far better than what you are getting right now.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he goes to the Bulldogs and kills it. Most of my mates are Dogs fans and I can tell you that between March to September they are no barrel of laughs. We watched the Titans match on the weekend and they all went off their head.
'Dogs fans can accept bad seasons... happens to most clubs... and we usually demonstrated an ability to rebound quickly

but there was 5-6 years of really bad decision making made across signings, retentions, back ended contracts, neglect of juniors etc. that led to one of the weakest FG squads I have ever seen in the current 'Dogs team

and for 'Dogs fans, that is hard to accept considering what we have seen from our club from 1979 to 2014

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
you guys must have a few spare sombreros, can you lend us one? Do the Roosters print their own money?