Match Day Thread: Canterbury Bulldogs vs Broncos @ ANZ Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We forced six or so, about the same we forced in the entirety of last year. I was pretty pleased with the continual pressure we were loading on.
Thats true. There were a few positives including that one, but struggling to beat an also ran is the biggest worry.

We have to also consider that Grub only started contact training the last week or so, hence not much time training with the rest of the guys. I agree with the people saying Reni should get a go. We need all the guys that have line breaking and ball playing ability we can get.

turvey mortimer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly. Even some of the best hookers (Jake Friend) rotate as it injects a quick player around the ruck when defenders are tired. I have no doubt that Mbye would have setup or scored himself if given that role tonight.

Des is too stubborn and/or allows players to dictate what happens. You can be sure Ennis wants to play the 80 but he needs a reality check that he's not Cameron Smith or Robbie Farah. Morris is another example. It seems like he was adamant he didn't want the fullback job but if he's the best option, too bad. He's not getting anywhere near enough ball at centre. Personally I'd give Templeman a chance. We need to roll the dice with how pedestrian we are in attack.
Agree Mbye must be given an opportunity NOW in the top grade , I think he has proven that he can handle the NSW Cup (last year) and this year in the trials showed that he has enough talent to play first grade. The reality is that Ennis is at the back end of his career and father time is knocking and he can no longer play 80 minutes. I would now say 60 minutes max.Templeman probably needs some time in NSW Cup to gain the confidence necessary to play first grade. It will be interesting to see how quickly he develops this year, hopefully he will be ready sooner rather than later because we do need to roll the dice and find a talent that can either score or set up tries. He is probably our best bet after Mbye.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting reply Ennis gives re Martin Kennedy, short and sharp "yeh all good". He wanted to say more but someones obviously told him before the presser to say nothing.

I didn't watch it because it's all bullshit excuses but how many times does Ennis say "as Des said"? Lol
Only once!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our attack is a joke. We have the worst 9, 7 and 1 combo in the comp by a far margin.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fkn Dakar was more fun than this.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
4-1 peno against us and good field position for them in the first 15 minutes which had them up 12-0 so, despite missing an obvious touch of flare in attack we did ok.

turvey mortimer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our attack is a joke. We have the worst 9, 7 and 1 combo in the comp by a far margin.
I agree our attack is crap. Makes you wonder how much of the training (set plays) replicates the pressure under match conditions. I think Ennis and Perrett are coming to the back end of their careers and Hodko just isn't good enough. Luckily our forwards are strong and skilful as are a few others in the backs (Morris, Reynolds, Lafai), the others are rocks and diamond types of players (too inconsistent).

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our centres never get to touch the ball.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our centres never get to touch the ball.
Same old story, after an off season you would think they would be able to mount an attacking spree?
Dumb as Dog sh1t despite plenty of heart.

turvey mortimer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Same old story, after an off season you would think they would be able to mount an attacking spree?
Dumb as Dog sh1t despite plenty of heart.
Agree with the Dumb as Dog Sh1t comment. This is where the 9 & 7 in particular are critical, unfortunately Ennis' options recently have been poor in the Red Zone (probably because father time is knocking) and I hate to say it but Hodko has NFI. Time for him to meet the NSW Cup coach.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Des coached Manly and Lyon and Matai touched the ball so much. We need to do something similar as Morris is our best back by far.

turvey mortimer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Des coached Manly and Lyon and Matai touched the ball so much. We need to do something similar as Morris is our best back by far.
Yep. Morris is one of our few weapons but he needs early ball and depth in attack. Our game plan at the moment is forwards centric.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now that I have had a few beers its not so bad.

We lost to a bottom 8 side, that did not play all that well &we no little attack to show for it.

How much worse can it get?

I really hope better times are coming!

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We lost to a bottom 8 side, that did not play all that well &we no little attack to show for it.

If you get beaten by Parramatta.

turvey mortimer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Now that I have had a few beers its not so bad.

I really hope better times are coming!
Hey Stoofy a few beers will take away the pain mate. The boys showed a fair bit of fighting spirit so we will be competitive and thereabouts.

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
why is our attack shit? we don't have a game plan

Status
Not open for further replies.