Mason on a mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogs4ever

Sidestepping past YOU
Reaction score
NSW star Willie Mason has raised the stakes for the State of Origin decider by declaring: "This is the biggest game of my life".

In an explosive interview with The Sun-Herald, Mason hit back at suggestions he "goes missing" in Origin football and further inflamed tensions across the border by claiming: "I genuinely hate Queenslanders".

Mason has played 158 NRL matches, 24 Tests and won a grand final but rates the rematch against the Maroons at ANZ Stadium on July 2 as the biggest game of his career.

"I can't afford to lose this game," he said yesterday. "This is the biggest game of my life.

"It was such an empty feeling after Origin II; it was embarrassing not to even score a try.

"I'm burning to get out there and redeem myself, as are all the boys.

"I'm sick of Queensland winning. Getting beat over the last couple of years, we've all built up a genuine hate for Queensland.

"I can tell you now - I genuinely hate Queenslanders. They hate us but I hate them even more.

"There's a lot of talk they're more passionate but they're not. They're the best winners in the world; as soon as they won they were into us.

"[Johnathan] Thurston, [Cam] Smith, all of those guys were into us. Hopefully we'll get the last laugh in Sydney. I've been through the highs of winning three in a row, nearly four, and now we're on the verge of losing three [consecutive series].

"This would be the sweetest one."

Blues legend Brett Kenny turned up the heat on Mason, telling NSW selectors to put a line through his name if he doesn't perform in Origin III.

"When it gets a bit tough he goes missing," Kenny said. "He talks a lot but he's not playing that well and struggled at times in Origin.

"He hasn't performed as well as you think you could.

"It's time he stood up and did a few things because he's the biggest bloke we've got in the side.

"It's time to say, 'If you don't perform here, it's your last time you ever play for NSW'.

"I think him and the front-rowers need to be given the chance to redeem themselves. The whole pack should be under pressure.

"But if they lose it's time to put a line through their names."

Told of Kenny's comments, Mason said: "It doesn't help to have ex-players come out and bag you.

"You're hurting enough as it is. You don't need a former great who is held in such high regard bagging the team and individuals.

"It's the lowest thing you can do."

The 28-year-old said he was far from washed up at representative level and believed Origin III could be a defining moment in his career.

"That's the way history will remember you," he said.

"We've never had so much to play for. If we lose three series in a row it will be an embarrassment.

"We don't want to be remembered as the players that lost NSW three series in a row.

"They [NSW fans] will look back on you as being hopeless.

"It's certainly not something I want to be a part of or want to be remembered for.

"We have to win this series."

Mason has called for in-form Roosters five-eighth Braith Anasta to be recalled to the NSW side, allowing Greg Bird to move to lock and focus on his running game.

"Birdy is probably the best lock in Australia and Braith is the best five-eighth," he said.

"We need Braith's direction and Birdy is at his best running the ball.

"He needs someone like Braith to get the ball out to the centres."

The former Bulldog created headlines when he labelled Maroons fans "nutbag, redneck Queenslanders".

And he didn't back down from that remark.

"My opinion of them hasn't changed," he said after his fiery reception at Suncorp Stadium.

"They certainly didn't let themselves down, put it that way."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1213321687034.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

More talk from the huge ****

T_dog

I'm afraid of not trying
Reaction score
Oh god how many "This is the biggest game of my life" game's can one guy have?

Origin 1 - This is the biggest game of my life
Origin 2 - This is the biggest game of my life
Last years final against parra - This is the biggest game of my life

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Keep talking it up Mason, the more you do, the more fired up you make qld.

Oh and we hate you to, as well as alot of New South Welshmen ;)

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Whys he still being referred to as the 'former bulldog' when his been at the roosters for 6months now.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
shut the **** up willie for once would ya...most of the NSW players must be getting annoyed at having to play with this idiot putting pressure on the team. Would be so funny if he didnt get picked for origin 3

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

tommy raudonikius really got stuck into him today. it is time for mason to walk the walk he has talked the talk for ages now.

M

mofo sixx

Whys he still being referred to as the 'former bulldog' when his been at the roosters for 6months now.
imagine if hey referred to youngquest by all his former clubs , are we 4th or 5th? ,

M

mofo sixx

Oh god how many "This is the biggest game of my life" game's can one guy have?

Origin 1 - This is the biggest game of my life
Origin 2 - This is the biggest game of my life
Last years final against parra - This is the biggest game of my life
Mason does not think he just speaks!, so his words are meaningless!

im with Tommy Radonikus , Mason should be dumped for the decider

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*shakes head*

what a clown. what an absolute dropkick. back it up willie...you make me embarressed for you!

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
STFU Mason.

"I genuinely hate Queenslanders" - is that like 1000 times more he hates the Maroons than Gallen.

nasals

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As much as I like Big Willie, I think Tommy, Brett Kenny and 95% of NSW probably agree, back it up or get out.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOL after beeing personally dominated in origin 2, he gets another article. LMAO

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sack Mason, Raudonikas.

A few people dont even want the big guy in the blues side, he doesnt always hold onto the ball tight in big games.
FORMER NSW coach Tommy Raudonikis has called for Willie Mason to be dumped for Origin III, urging Blues selectors to shift Greg Bird to the back row and play Braith Anasta at five-eighth.
Raudonikis, who coached NSW to a 2-1 series victory in 1997 before losing the 1998 series, delivered a cutting appraisal of the Blues' Origin II disaster.

Along with calling for Mason's scalp, Raudonikis suggested centre Mark Gasnier was only "half-hearted'' in his battle with man of the match Greg Inglis.

Despite the 30-0 scoreline, Raudonikis believes the Blues have the players and coach to clinch the series.

"They need to get the cattledog back into them. Don't blue, but get the fighting spirit back in there,'' Raudonikis said.

"They didn't seem to turn up and across the board they were very poor. That second try, when Gasnier missed Inglis, was a half-hearted attempt.

scot

I'll unleash these on you
Reaction score
Drop him!

Imagine the ignominy of Mason being dropped, (especially if they keep Fitzy, and the selectors pick O'Meley and Anasta, along with Myles being in the QLD team) and having to play the Bulldogs that week in a substandard Rorters team.

The boys would be at him all game.

We'd pack the sfs just to give it to him and bring all our banners.

That would be a wet dream come true....

scot

I'll unleash these on you
Reaction score
And how can Origin 3 rank with the 2004 GF anyway?

Yeah, it's a big game..but what an insult to the blokes he bled with that year. As a group they went through so much ****, and to win that GF was remarkable...maybe Braith or Shrek should remind him of the importance of it all...although I get the impression Shrek tunes out when willie is mouthing off.

That comment just pisses me off (and not just because it is from Willie either...if SBW said a Test - apart from maybe a world cup final - was the biggest game in his life I'd be just as annoyed)

It should piss Rorters fans off too. It demonstrates where his priorities lie and just like with us, its not with the people that put up with his b.s this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.