Maroons reckon they can still win the series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can win series: Maroons
By Michael Crutcher
June 16, 2005

A DEFIANT Queensland forward pack insisted the same Maroons team torched by Andrew Johns last night could rebound in the Origin decider at Suncorp Stadium on July 6.

Carl Webb and Brad Thorn lifted the tone in a downcast Queensland dressingroom by insisting NSW had not dented the Maroons' confidence with the 32-22 win at Telstra Stadium.

"We were right in that game and there was no way we were dominated," Webb said.

"There were a few things that went against us with the bounce of the ball and calls that could have gone our way but didn't.

"But it's pointless going on about those things. It's going to be an interesting decider."

Thorn said Queensland missed a vital chance to seize momentum before the Blues steamed from a halftime deficit to an eight-point lead in as many minutes.

Captain Darren Lockyer said his players could "hold their heads high and go to Brisbane with some confidence".

Webb expects to be available for the final match despite suffering a groin injury that prevented him from returning to the field after his first 26-minute burst.

"It's just an injury that's been really bloody annoying me," Webb said.

Advertisement:
"It would be easier if I had broken my leg because I could cop that.
"I felt it go when I was running to the attacking line. I lost power and I couldn't move laterally and I didn't want to be a burden on the team."

The Maroons at least escaped without any long-term injuries, although the North Queensland Cowboys contingent collected bumps that could affect them when they resume after this weekend's NRL bye.

Matt Sing (corked calf) and Matt Bowen (sternum) will undergo further examinations with Cowboys teammate Webb.

Thorn sat in the rooms with an ice pack strapped to his troublesome sternum and without too many smiles about his first Origin try.

He should remember it fondly after the pain of defeat wears off because there aren't many front-rowers who could match the way he collected a Lockyer bomb by outreaching Blues fullback Anthony Minichiello.

Thorn displayed the lineout jumping skills he learnt during his recent rugby union stint. His former All Black teammate Greg Somerville certainly noticed.

"He sent me a text saying 'I didn't think you could jump without someone lifting you'," Thorn said in reference to union's lineout lifting.

"It was good because I wanted to win badly and I knew that scoring a try would contribute to that.

"But they had that period in the second half where they took the momentum away from us."

Thorn believed the same Queensland team that led 12-8 at halftime last night could claim the decider and Webb at least wants to retain his starting position.

** i know we have few qld'ers here so what are your views do u reckon your team can still beat our re-born NSW squad.....i dont think they have much of a chance now that we have played a winning game together as a team. **

bulldogs_chick16

The Brissy Kid
Reaction score
watch we'll come back in game 3 i think the queensland crowed makes the boys spirts lift :D GO QUEENSLAND

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Game 3 is shaping to be one of the best and most eagerly awaited in origin history.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maroons will win. Cant wait, should be a classic.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bandit said:
"There was no way we were dominated," Webb said.
Not much you fat f***!!!

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
QLD TO WIN GAME 3...

we let NSW win to make the series interesting.

bring back Kimmorley i say hehehehe

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the QLD'ers are pretty confident!! Well i reckon if the NSW side stays as it was then we have a very good chance of stealing the series from QLD..GO THE BLUES!!

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
mark o'meley will be picked for origin 3 blues by 14

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No1 dare write of the maroons. DO it at ur own risk. BELEVE ME! they hav a great bounce back rate ( SOO I - 04- SOO II-04). Last year we beat em here in the 1st game..then we went up their and they dominated us!

Its funny how i still say "us" as if to say im a NSW supporter, when i sit on the fence more. I cant pic a team to go for now, i just love the match for the high intensity it gives.

M

Mason/O'Meley

Of course they can win , so can NSW , this article is pretty silly , you would hope QLD would still think that they could win the series , what would be the point in playing if they didn't think they could win it?

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
im a kiwi , but i go 4 queensland , GO QUEENSLAND 4 game 3 & the series

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
both teams have great chances

its 50-50

just out of curiosity where is the next game of origin held?

M

Mason/O'Meley

jimmy_the_greek said:
both teams have great chances

its 50-50

just out of curiosity where is the next game of origin held?
lol , have you been living under a rock?

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
lol, no :grinning:
i was just wondering were they were playing i had an idea that it might have been brisbane but i wasnt 100% sure and thats why i asked

M

Mason/O'Meley

jimmy_the_greek said:
lol, no :grinning:
i was just wondering were they were playing i had an idea that it might have been brisbane but i wasnt 100% sure and thats why i asked
nah dw , my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.