Official Mark McLinden The Pitch Invader

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TV don’t show it, now they’re told to keep the camera on the action and the commentators too. It happened down the southern end when the play was up the other end. He also ripped the Telstra sign off Backdoor’s LED goal posts. You only saw it if you were there…
I was listening to the Triple M call on radio and they mentioned it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was listening to the Triple M call on radio and they mentioned it.
Sure, the M’s are pretty blokey and love a bit of the rough and tumble, so that’s not surprising. I just know that the main TV networks don’t give ‘streakers’ any oxygen anymore - it’s the same with the cricket.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Sources with knowledge of the incident told the Herald that McLinden had a bike lock around his neck. They believed he was trying to chain himself to the goal posts when he removed the padding. He was tackled before he got the chance.
McLinden confirmed to the Herald that was his plan.

“It was with regret that I caught the train down from my place in the Byron hinterland to Sydney for the NRL grand final,” McLinden said.
“With me was a T-shirt that read, ‘End Coal, Gas and Oil for our Children’, as well as a bike chain and lock that fit around my neck. My intention was to enter the pitch, lock on to the post and halt play long enough for my message to be read; a message that climate scientists have been imploring governments to heed.

“I did not want to be an activist. I did not want to stop play on grand final night and jeopardise the childhood dreams of 34 players, not to mention the joy and excitement of hundreds of thousands of fellow footy fans. But the world’s governments, including our own, are steering us into a rapidly unstable climate, the consequences of which we are already witnessing with floods, fires, droughts and heatwaves.
“I owe it to the children of the world, and all the subsequent generations, to do everything I can to ensure our beautiful planet is preserved such that these young people inherit an environment that is as close to stable as we have been lucky enough to enjoy.”

While he was being removed, McLinden tugged his shirt down to reveal the message on the front.
Police confirmed a 43-year-old man from Mullumbimby was arrested and issued with an infringement notice for entering the playing field.

“As it happened, my plan was thwarted,” McLinden said. “I needed around 10 things to go right, and failed at the last hurdle. I was tackled far easier than I had been the last time I ran out on Accor Stadium as a player.
“My opportunity to make real climate action was lost, like so many other opportunities in the last 30 years of climate inaction since the fossil fuel industry themselves acknowledged how harmful their products are. I won’t give up. I don’t have that luxury. I’ll continue to fight for your children’s future and invite you to do the same.

“Lastly, I’d like to thank the security and the police for their efforts on the night. They did their job a little too well, and while I wish they were more environmentally minded, I understand they have a job to do and I accept all of the consequences resulting from my actions.”
McLinden took to social media minutes before he invaded the pitch.

read the article if you can be fucked for more dribble

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Sources with knowledge of the incident told the Herald that McLinden had a bike lock around his neck. They believed he was trying to chain himself to the goal posts when he removed the padding. He was tackled before he got the chance.
McLinden confirmed to the Herald that was his plan.

“It was with regret that I caught the train down from my place in the Byron hinterland to Sydney for the NRL grand final,” McLinden said.
“With me was a T-shirt that read, ‘End Coal, Gas and Oil for our Children’, as well as a bike chain and lock that fit around my neck. My intention was to enter the pitch, lock on to the post and halt play long enough for my message to be read; a message that climate scientists have been imploring governments to heed.

“I did not want to be an activist. I did not want to stop play on grand final night and jeopardise the childhood dreams of 34 players, not to mention the joy and excitement of hundreds of thousands of fellow footy fans. But the world’s governments, including our own, are steering us into a rapidly unstable climate, the consequences of which we are already witnessing with floods, fires, droughts and heatwaves.
“I owe it to the children of the world, and all the subsequent generations, to do everything I can to ensure our beautiful planet is preserved such that these young people inherit an environment that is as close to stable as we have been lucky enough to enjoy.”

While he was being removed, McLinden tugged his shirt down to reveal the message on the front.
Police confirmed a 43-year-old man from Mullumbimby was arrested and issued with an infringement notice for entering the playing field.

“As it happened, my plan was thwarted,” McLinden said. “I needed around 10 things to go right, and failed at the last hurdle. I was tackled far easier than I had been the last time I ran out on Accor Stadium as a player.
“My opportunity to make real climate action was lost, like so many other opportunities in the last 30 years of climate inaction since the fossil fuel industry themselves acknowledged how harmful their products are. I won’t give up. I don’t have that luxury. I’ll continue to fight for your children’s future and invite you to do the same.

“Lastly, I’d like to thank the security and the police for their efforts on the night. They did their job a little too well, and while I wish they were more environmentally minded, I understand they have a job to do and I accept all of the consequences resulting from my actions.”
McLinden took to social media minutes before he invaded the pitch.

read the article if you can be fucked for more dribble
No thanks..it was bad enough reading a fair portion of this thread.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Haha good on him. It's a shame he didn't get time to chain himself up and disrupt that shit game that was served up.
And he should've had "fuck V'landys the fat slob out of our game" on his shirt instead.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out one of the two clowns who ran onto the field during the GF was former Raiders half Mark McLinden:
Maybe he missed being tackled? Hope he saved some of his playing money to pay his $5500 fine :tearsofjoy:.

That’s him on the right in his playing days:
View attachment 59625
And on Sunday night. What a deadshit:
View attachment 59626
Not a bad player in his day but poor guy looks like he'll have to start up a go fund me page to pay the fine.

"Go Fund Yourself" :tearsofjoy:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read he finished playing in 2004 how time flies, bloke never seemed to have any issues with Coal and Gas during his 6 years of playing for Canberra Raiders. How sad society has become through the scourge of social media.

On a lighter note, I see where he got through the defenses of the security guards in one pic and looks like he did a Mal Meninga to the padding on the goal post. If you're going to make a statement, however stupid it is, make it BIG.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
On a lighter note, I see where he got through the defenses of the security guards in one pic and looks like he did a Mal Meninga to the padding on the goal post. If you're going to make a statement, however stupid it is, make it BIG.
He seemed to be missing the key ingredient Max Walker had: ‘A babies arm holding an apple’ :-).

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, the M’s are pretty blokey and love a bit of the rough and tumble, so that’s not surprising. I just know that the main TV networks don’t give ‘streakers’ any oxygen anymore - it’s the same with the cricket.
Good on them not giving them the attention the crave.

It's a good way to stop that stupidity.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was that the diesel powered XPT you bought a ticket on Mark? What about from Strathfield to Homebush? A petrol powered Uber? You really showed ‘em :tearsofjoy:.
That train is still a far greener option than any other form of land transport, despite its age and fumes. It's a diesel/electric BTW.

He had his opportunity to run onto the field during the unnecessary entertainment segment. They would have thought he was part of the gig and left him to wear his T shirt.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That train is still a far greener option than any other form of land transport, despite its age and fumes. It's a diesel/electric BTW.

He had his opportunity to run onto the field during the unnecessary entertainment segment. They would have thought he was part of the gig and left him to wear his T shirt.
True re: combo - the transmission is electric but the engines are V12 diesel and although cleaner than other forms of transport not exactly what a climate change extremist should be supporting. I’ve had discussions regarding the XPT replacement fleet and you might not be surprised to learn that the trains coming in 2023 have redundant technology selected in 2018. Sigh.

Re: entertainment, pre-game was OK (being generous) but the half time ‘entertainment’ at the stadium was terrible. I thought though: ‘The NRL doesn’t need to invest in this when Channel 9 would be running back to back ads at inflated rates’. Again, sigh…